Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:48 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
What's the parking situation like ?
Big ol' parking lot, no shortage of spaces the times I've been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 02:01 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Big ol' parking lot, no shortage of spaces the times I've been there.
Thanks !

Old 03-18-2017, 09:50 AM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Regarding C Street, yes it is horrible. And interestingly, in this case I believe the trolley is a big part of it. The tracks drove off the car traffic which gave it a dark and desolate feel which drove off the pedestrians which caused street level businesses to close. I wonder if they had made it a subway, if that would have prevented the problem. Turning it into an elevated would have made it worse by darkening the street even more. Or maybe it wasn't the trolley at all, and what has ruined C street is that buildings on Broadway cast too much shadow on the street. Whatever it is, the street is dark and desolate.
Imperial Trolley stops also has the C Street feeling X's 10. Perhaps the empty store fronts, the jail and concentration of bail bonds offices also have something to do with the feel on C Street.

Locals from outside of the area will still visit this immediate area from time to time to go the SD Courthouse, see a performance at the Civic Theater or watch a band at House of Blues. Symphony Hall is also just a block away.

People here criticize DTSD so much, it quite frankly its better than most downtowns that become concrete ghost-towns on the weekends and evenings.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:30 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Imperial Trolley stops also has the C Street feeling X's 10. Perhaps the empty store fronts, the jail and concentration of bail bonds offices also have something to do with the feel on C Street.

Locals from outside of the area will still visit this immediate area from time to time to go the SD Courthouse, see a performance at the Civic Theater or watch a band at House of Blues. Symphony Hall is also just a block away.

People here criticize DTSD so much, it quite frankly its better than most downtowns that become concrete ghost-towns on the weekends and evenings.
I don't know about that: Philly, Seattle, Boston, SF. Portland, Denver, San Jose, Chi and Indianapolis are better than Dt. SD.

* Big mistakes to locate county jails/bail bonds downtown! 2/3 of downtown is bad with only parts of Little Italy/Gaslamp/waterfront being nice areas. East Village is bad despite high rise/ mid rise housing/hotels and Petco Park. Ok, the immediate Petco Park is ok, and that's it. Overall, I'd say downtown is still blighted for the most part and desperate in need of serious revitalizations/overhaul.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 AM

Default Reasons for a SD Local to Visit Downtown

This is a list I personally have come up with in 15 mins of why locals will still go downtown (outside of work and school) despite its issues.

Baseball, the Padres play there several times a week when at home, a ticket to a game is still affordable for families and groups of co-workers.

Petco Park for concerts, fairs and other types of shows/sports.

Watch concerts of performances at Symphony Hall, Balboa Theater, SD Civic Center or House of Blues.

Young people still FLOOD The Gaslamp seemingly almost any night of the week.

Art Walk in Little Italy .

The Farmers Market in Little Italy.

People will go downtown to take their out of town guests to Sea Port Village and go for a boat tour on the Seal or the Harbor Excursions/Hornblower.

People still go downtown for the airport.

Couples will go out on dates in Little Italy.

People still go downtown to go to court or jury duty.

Families will come downtown to visit the Central Library or Children's Museum, especially when there is an event happening at either.

Comic Con attract thousands of locals downtown.

Bayside concerts at Embarcadero Park South and Sea Port Village.

Local families still come downtown to eat at the Spaghetti Factory.

Cuatro Milpas in Barrio Logan.

Convention Center, there is always something going on here.

There are frequently festivals on 5th Street.

Concerts, events and the finish of the Rock and Roll Marathon at the Water Front Park.

Families will visit the Water Front Park just to visit it during the summer time.

People will go downtown to bail loved ones out of jail.

I am sure there are many other reasons I've not listed, but to my point, LOCALS WILL STILL VISIT AND SPEND MONEY DOWNTOWN FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER. MY guess is that many SD locals visit downtown at least once per year.

Last edited by malcorub16; 03-18-2017 at 10:59 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 11:04 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
I'm from Bonita and I don't want to go downtown anymore. It has become a cesspool of humanity.

SDPD-Failure
City of San Diego Gov- Failure
SANDAG- Failure
Father Joe's Village of the damned-Failure

whole other thread here:

Not going downtown anymore

Old 03-18-2017, 11:33 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Good enough list by malcorubthis, except Cuatro Milpas and Spag. Factory should be removed, and I would add one of the Contemporary Art Museums near the Sante Fe train station.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Good enough list by malcorubthis, except Cuatro Milpas and Spag. Factory should be removed, and I would add one of the Contemporary Art Museums near the Sante Fe train station.
Thanks bloomingdales, I personally don't like Cuatro Milpas, but locals from outside of DT still seem to flock to it as there is usually a line out the door.

I also forgot about the Sprekels Theatre. I can't think of another single area in SD hat has this much to offer, sure La Jolla and Coronado are clean, very nice and tranquil but the attractions are limited.

Last edited by malcorub16; 03-18-2017 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 12:29 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Public Bathrooms.

Where can people use bathrooms downtown when the public library closes ?

Old 03-18-2017, 01:14 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Public Bathrooms.

Where can people use bathrooms downtown when the public library closes ?
Any back alley or street corner, the smell is strong of course that applies to many cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego