Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 04:37 PM

25 posts, read 68,998 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My name is Trey and I am currently a Junior in college here in Texas. I am majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Political Science. I am hoping to move out to California for a few years for a few reasons.

1) I know that it is extremely stressful to try and raise a family in California and I figure my best chance of living out there without wanting to kill myself is while I am young and have less responsibilities.

2) I am looking to go to business school eventually and the best MBA programs require atleast two years of work experience. I figure it would be fun to move out to California and get some of that work experience.

3) I have always wanted to live out in California. I don't want to look back on my life and regret that.

I am really interested in Southern California but mainly because that's the only section of California that I have visited. I really love San Diego and the surrounding areas but Los Angeles attracts me too. I plan on working for the next year while I am still in Texas, so I can save up enough money to have a cushion in the case of any emergencies that may pop up.

Some really important information that may help everyone with this discussion is that my friend of 18 years will be moving out there with me so we will be renting a 2-bedroom instead of just a one bedroom. I am sure that makes it seem a bit less daunting.

All I am asking for is any information that you may find helpful. I have read previous posts on this message board that do help a little but under my situation I am thinking the advice may be a little different. Is there a big demand for people in the public relations sector? I was even looking at teaching high school or something, even though it doesn't make much money. I am assuming it may be able to cover the rent.

I thank everyone for any help they provide. Like a post on a previous thread said, "Where there is a will, there is a way."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 14,845 times
Hey there, i think we are in a similar boat! I am also a recent graduate doing pr, wanting some industry experience. unfortunitly i can only get a visa for a year as im irish, however, i am so excited,i have been to the states yet, i cant wait to get there. I have been applying for jobs and get little feed back, but i will get a job in san diego if it kills me! how are you getting on, have you have any positive responces yet? keep in touch i would like to hear your progress!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:53 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Well, I can tell you there are plenty of places to choose from in SoCal, but first, what is your budget for that 2 bed?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,994,247 times
What are you looking for in your California experience besides something affordable? San Diego and Los Angeles both have affordable areas- give or take griminess- but if you really wanted to live in one or the other you could.

Los Angeles is more fun and has more young people, art & culture. But you get less bang for your buck in terms of housing. Most places that young folks can afford are ones you have to room with someone (which in your case is not a prob) and are in aging, and not very well ventilated/lighted rustic buildings. The neighborhoods also tend to me more dangerous. The nightlife is amazing however, with some of the best clubs around and hanging around town with "young Hollywood" types getting out and about. LA is more ethnically diverse. The beaches are dirty- Oh and traffic sucks!

San Diego is mostly more of a typical suburb - comfortable, relaxing and better in terms of air quality and climate (it doesn't get as hot as LA). You get more for your money, will not encounter as bad of traffic as LA. Has lots of beaches, 92 miles worth. Not as much art & culture, has a few cute and and very small and barely existing hip areas though like Hillcrest and the Italian food in Little Italy is amazing. Nightlife is decent (head to downtown/Gaslamp for that)- but has lots of tough looking, unrefined types who look like they will start a fight at the clubs. Maybe due to the strong military presence. But nightlife is not as good as LA and I stopped going out to downtown because it is not to my standards. I personally think San Diego is easier to live from day to day though.

Education is a big thing in San Diego because there are lots of young families in most suburban neighborhoods and the schools in LA generally suck and get less funding from what I believe.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:56 AM

490 posts, read 1,556,218 times
You guys will do fine Trey, you should save up about $5,000 for expenses / deposit for rental to get you started. Sarah, there are lots of Irish kids here in the summer months, pedaling the "pedicabs" downtown, working @ Seaworld or the downtown clubs. Many people move here with not too much, then in 8 or 10 years, they are doin' great, own a business/ home. "Where there's a will. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego