Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 4,699 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the San Diego County area with my son who will be a Sophomore in HS. I don't know the area well or even where to start looking. I'm hoping to find an affordable area with a good and SAFE high school. As a single mom, I found out I MAY qualify for lower income housing but not sure how that works. I was sent a list for apartments for surrounding areas but again, not sure of those areas.... If anyone can offer any feedback, it would be much appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 10:11 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,867,324 times
Just curious...why would you choose one of the most expensive cities in the country to move to?

Old 07-06-2017, 01:30 PM

216 posts, read 273,017 times
If you need to rely on low income housing, SD is not the place for you. Upper middle class people can barely afford to live there.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,458,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon003 View Post
I'm considering moving to the San Diego County area with my son who will be a Sophomore in HS. I don't know the area well or even where to start looking. I'm hoping to find an affordable area with a good and SAFE high school. As a single mom, I found out I MAY qualify for lower income housing but not sure how that works. I was sent a list for apartments for surrounding areas but again, not sure of those areas.... If anyone can offer any feedback, it would be much appreciated. Thank you
If you are hoping for low income housing, your son will be out of HS before your position on the waiting list reaches the top and you can get into one. Long wait.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:21 PM

15,134 posts, read 32,399,625 times
Do you even have a job lined up?

Old 07-09-2017, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 964 times
wow!! how incredibly ARROGANT of some of you to feel entitled to ask what is none of your business, or make judgement calls!! This should be a place where people should feel comfortable to reach out.

Avalon I will send you a PM with some info as well as a better sight to go where people actually log on to be of help. I'd suggest you leave these people who have nothing better to do than criticize.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 4,699 times
Thank you so much Devon. My sentiments exactly.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonA18 View Post
wow!! how incredibly ARROGANT of some of you to feel entitled to ask what is none of your business, or make judgement calls!! This should be a place where people should feel comfortable to reach out.

Avalon I will send you a PM with some info as well as a better sight to go where people actually log on to be of help. I'd suggest you leave these people who have nothing better to do than criticize.
A newbie that knows nothing.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon003 View Post
Even though you qualify for low income housing, don't count on getting in. There are waiting lists a mile long for low income/subsidized housing. Do you have a job lined up? Do you have a car? What's your rental budget? These are just a few things that anyone needs to know (and not only on here) before your questions can be answered.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 AM

332 posts, read 633,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If you are hoping for low income housing, your son will be out of HS before your position on the waiting list reaches the top and you can get into one. Long wait.
He will be out of college before they even get their first letter asking if they still want to be on the wait list.

We moved here in 2011 and after a job opportunity fell through, we applied. I got a letter recently, 6 years later, asking if we still wanted to be on the list. We declined, as I got a job soon after applying for the low income housing.

Long story short OP...do your research on housing before you decide to make the move...and then do a little more. It isn't cheap. But then again, if you just want to live somewhere in the city or in the region bad enough, there are more affordable alternatives...but then again, you will likely have to make concessions (not the best school district in the area, or living outside of San Diego).

If I were you, I'd look North at Temecula or Murietta. Not an ideal commute to beaches and what SD has to offer, but a lot of people do make the daily commute if you're working down in SD. Maybe you could do that for a few years until after your son graduates, and then move closer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego