Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,172 times

Advertisements

I'd also like to recommend sleeping in as much as possible and calling in sick to work and getting checked out by your doctor at the first sign of cold or flu-like symptoms or even just being run down. There's a Lakeside father currently in intensive care at Sharp Grossmont in intensive care with renal failure who also has 2 infected kids at home with the virus.

Lakeside family is warning others after flu lands father in ICU | fox5sandiego.com

“'He had a little chest congestion, headache, body ache -- the usual stuff where you’re like, OK, I’m getting the flu,' said Jennifer.
Even though Shawn was sick, he continued to work and didn’t rest.
Jennifer said the next thing she knew, on New Year’s Day they were in the emergency room.

Jennifer said Shawn is a U.S. Navy veteran who fought in the Gulf war. He works two jobs and is a father of four children. She never imagined a flu virus would take him down.
'Other than being a little overweight he’s totally healthy, a totally healthy guy,' said Jennifer."

Just speculating but the high number of people working two jobs and the recent spate of very warm weather could be factors in spreading the bug. Also probably a very nasty strain going around as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 03:49 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
The mis-information about flu shots always frustrates me.

It's an inactive virus (genetically modified, can *NOT* make you sick, but tricks your body into producing anti-bodies), and they GUESS, as best they can, a few of the many thousands of different strains. Given how fast the strains change, how easy it is for a strain to travel the globe, it's saying something that the flu shots are as effective as they are.

If you suffer any pain/discomfort, it is 100% due to the shot process. Well, unless you're allergic to eggs. So complain to the person who gave you the shot if it still hurts more than a day later.

You can carry and transmit the flu without ever being sick yourself. So, if you Really like passing this sickness around to everyone who touches a doorknob or handrail behind you and then everyone They come into contact with, feel free to skip the shot. In the meantime, the more people who get the shot, the less flu there is to go around (depending on predictions for the vaccine that year). The process works, it's why Polio, and a bunch of other things, simply aren't a health risk anymore... it's just that the flu mutates so quickly.
Sorry, but the pain I'm feeling is NOT from the actual injection. It's from the crap that was in it. I don't know or care what's in a useless flu shot, eggs or whatever.

If the stupid shots are so effective, why all the wailing and gnashing every year about all the flu going around?

It's just another money maker for Big Pharma.

Ten percent effective. Chew on that gristle for awhile!

Old 01-04-2018, 06:29 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Sorry, but the pain I'm feeling is NOT from the actual injection. It's from the crap that was in it. I don't know or care what's in a useless flu shot, eggs or whatever.

If the stupid shots are so effective, why all the wailing and gnashing every year about all the flu going around?

It's just another money maker for Big Pharma.

Ten percent effective. Chew on that gristle for awhile!
If it's only 10% effective then why are 70% of the deaths reported people who were NOT vaccinated?

Again, I'll take my chances with getting vaccinated. Big Pharma has kept me pretty healthy for the last 60 years.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-04-2018 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-04-2018, 06:50 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
You don't know, but you know. Got it.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
If it's only 10% effective then why are 70% of the deaths reported people who were NOT vaccinated?

Again, I'll take my chances with getting vaccinated. Big Pharma has kept me pretty healthy for the last 60 years.
Hi Rosie,

About a 50/50 chance of getting the flu with the vaccine.

How effective is the flu vaccine?

CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine. In general, current flu vaccines tend to work better against influenza B and influenza A(H1N1) viruses and offer lower protection against influenza A(H3N2) viruses. See “Does flu vaccine effectiveness vary by type or subtype?” and “Why is flu vaccine typically less effective against influenza A H3N2 viruses?” for more information.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

Now if the flu vaccine does not match the flu viruses going around ................... Note from the same site:

How well the flu vaccine works (or its ability to prevent flu illness) can range widely from season to season. The vaccine’s effectiveness also can vary depending on who is being vaccinated. At least two factors play an important role in determining the likelihood that flu vaccine will protect a person from flu illness: 1) characteristics of the person being vaccinated (such as their age and health), and 2) the similarity or “match” between the flu viruses the flu vaccine is designed to protect against and the flu viruses spreading in the community. During years when the flu vaccine is not well matched to circulating influenza viruses, it is possible that no benefit from flu vaccination may be observed.

Glad you are avoiding the flu. I have been as well for years and rarely take the vaccine. Once in a while if I feel a bit down then, but usually I do not get the shot.Can't remember the last time I had the flu.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:37 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
During years when the flu vaccine is not well matched to circulating influenza viruses, it is possible that no benefit from flu vaccination may be observed.

This could very well be the case this year. A badly matched vaccine, or possibly a new or rare strain of flu.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Apparently the old thread got not only locked but erased but do political bickering. Pls, none of this in this thread.

Today, county officials added 34 more flu related deaths to the annual tally, bringing the total to 45 since July 1. This now appears to be a significant and serious health issue for county residents.

From the article:

Since July, the flu has now killed 45 county residents, nearly nine times as many as died during the same time-frame last year and nearly 15 times the prior three-year average, according to the county Health and Human Services Agency’s weekly flu report.

A staggering number of flu cases — 3,334 — were reported last week, besting the previous week’s total of 2,338 which was itself the highest single-week tally on the books. That’s eight times as many cases as last year.

Flu kills 34 more people, including a 1-year-old, in San Diego - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Ignore the recent record heat wave and mild temperatures expected to continue through the week. Everyone to be sure to load up pre-emptively on your Vitamin C and Zinc, and be sure to dress warm and drink lots of water. Also avoid crowds to whatever extent possible. Very nasty strain going around this year apparently.
I was sad to hear this news because I have relatives and friends in the area.

The 900 pound Gorilla is on the loose. The 2 ton Gorilla (Political Correctness) must be ignored.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:06 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I was sad to hear this news because I have relatives and friends in the area.
Apparently, Nebraska (where you live according to your profile) is also starting to have a dramatic increase in flu cases, so perhaps your relatives and friends "in the area" here should also be sad for you.

Nebraska Facing Tough Flu Season

Of course, Nebraska and California aren't alone. It's already "widespread" in 21 states, and growing in others.

States With High Levels of Doctor Visits Due to Flu Symptoms

It all, apparently, started in Australia.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-04-2018 at 08:17 PM..

Old 01-04-2018, 08:58 PM

987 posts, read 779,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Hi Rosie,

About a 50/50 chance of getting the flu with the vaccine.

How effective is the flu vaccine?

CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine. In general, current flu vaccines tend to work better against influenza B and influenza A(H1N1) viruses and offer lower protection against influenza A(H3N2) viruses. See “Does flu vaccine effectiveness vary by type or subtype?” and “Why is flu vaccine typically less effective against influenza A H3N2 viruses?” for more information.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

Now if the flu vaccine does not match the flu viruses going around ................... Note from the same site:

How well the flu vaccine works (or its ability to prevent flu illness) can range widely from season to season. The vaccine’s effectiveness also can vary depending on who is being vaccinated. At least two factors play an important role in determining the likelihood that flu vaccine will protect a person from flu illness: 1) characteristics of the person being vaccinated (such as their age and health), and 2) the similarity or “match” between the flu viruses the flu vaccine is designed to protect against and the flu viruses spreading in the community. During years when the flu vaccine is not well matched to circulating influenza viruses, it is possible that no benefit from flu vaccination may be observed.

Glad you are avoiding the flu. I have been as well for years and rarely take the vaccine. Once in a while if I feel a bit down then, but usually I do not get the shot.Can't remember the last time I had the flu.
I like Eastern Medicine. I hate Western Medicine and Big Pharma. I never have gotten a flu shot.
I do not have health insurance either, I spend money to be seen by Naturalpathoic Doctors.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:04 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
I like Eastern Medicine. I hate Western Medicine and Big Pharma. I never have gotten a flu shot.
I do not have health insurance either, I spend money to be seen by Naturalpathoic Doctors.
Some of that works. My sister in law had cancer and had surgery. Then they wanted her on chemotherapy. She went to a Natropathic doctor with a safe treatment and at the last check at the doctors she was clear of any cancer. Time of course will tell but it was admitted the treatment worked.

Uniquely my mother in law had the shot every year, and every year she got the flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego