Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 11:05 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times

Advertisements

SANDAG just came out with data that they say indicates that even if all of the housing currently in the works for between now and 2050 gets built, San Diego County (including the city of San Diego) will still be short of housing to meet demand.

Quote:

SANDAG staffers have in recent months met with planners countywide to learn where their local plans allow for housing – and how much. They concluded city and county plans permit 357,000 more units between now and 2050, short of the 509,000 additional homes SANDAG estimates the region will need. The projection is based on assumptions about population growth, the number of people per home, the number of second homes or vacation homes not available on the market and a desired 5 percent vacancy rate.

San Diego County Will Be Short of Housing Even If Everything Planned Gets Built

The article also notes that one way to address the shortage may be to support making granny flats part of the solution. Apparently, city planners from El Cajon, Encinitas, and Oceanside are pushing that idea.

Other planners note that they're not sure that all of the developments that are in the works will ever really be built (in other words, SANDAG's estimates may be wildly overly optimistic).

One thing not mentioned that I've wondered about here before: build a rail system out to the farther reaches of east county, to make housing development out in those areas, where there is lots of land, a more realistic possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 11:39 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Glad I left

Old 03-29-2018, 12:03 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Whooohooo

Prices continue to go up ^

Old 03-29-2018, 01:18 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Whooohooo

Yep!
Zillow says my Property is worth 630k
It's now close the Ridiculous asking price that, the lady that sold me the house was asking till the bottom fell out.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:08 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
One thing not mentioned that I've wondered about here before: build a rail system out to the farther reaches of east county, to make housing development out in those areas, where there is lots of land, a more realistic possibility.
They should improve and expand the existing one in the areas current footprint. Last thing San Diego should do is pave open more undeveloped land for tract homes.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:31 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
The solution is simple, the government issues eminent domain on every inner city neighborhood by tearing everything “old” down, and replace it all with Apts, but they would face a backlash of lawsuits so this is not a total solution, but could be in small doses. Or build on the outskirts.

San Diego has so much open space it’s incredible, and empty spots of land, but either those areas are deemed off limits or can’t be developed because we have too many hillsides and steep canyons that make it a challange for developers to build on.

I honestly believe this is one of the major reasons why SD does not have the same kind of massive urban sprawl with concrete everywhere like L.A. and O.C because of San Diego’s more rugged, hilly, hard to get access terrain. This is why we see so much open space off to the sides of our freeways especially up in NC.

The lack of a grid based infrastructure also has made getting around SD strange and difficult at times so in the future, the cities and developers are going to have to find better ways to make getting around easier for us all. I won’t have to worry about this in the future since I won’t be living in SD by then, but it’s still a concern for everyone else that lives here.

The South Bay cities like CV and National City have been already fully developed since the 60’s and 70’s, but North County has seen very little development in that time span compared to the Southern portions of the county.

Hence as the saying goes, North of 8, South of 8 way of life in SD.

So I see heavier development up in NC and out East, since that’s where most of the empty plots of land is located.

But even if SD went on a massive building rampage, it will still be very expensive to live here. So in that sense, nothing will change besides for worsening traffic conditions and an added strain on our natural resources which in turn will only become more expensive such as water and utilities.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:53 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
The solution is simple, the government issues eminent domain on every inner city neighborhood by tearing everything “old” down, and replace it all with Apts
They’ve already done this, they’re known as “the projects”. Go to any major city in the Midwest, or east coast, and tell me how well it worked out.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
The solution is simple, the government issues eminent domain on every inner city neighborhood by tearing everything “old” down, and replace it all with Apts, but they would face a backlash of lawsuits so this is not a total solution, but could be in small doses. Or build on the outskirts.

San Diego has so much open space it’s incredible, and empty spots of land, but either those areas are deemed off limits or can’t be developed because we have too many hillsides and steep canyons that make it a challange for developers to build on.

I honestly believe this is one of the major reasons why SD does not have the same kind of massive urban sprawl with concrete everywhere like L.A. and O.C because of San Diego’s more rugged, hilly, hard to get access terrain. This is why we see so much open space off to the sides of our freeways especially up in NC.

The lack of a grid based infrastructure also has made getting around SD strange and difficult at times so in the future, the cities and developers are going to have to find better ways to make getting around easier for us all. I won’t have to worry about this in the future since I won’t be living in SD by then, but it’s still a concern for everyone else that lives here.

The South Bay cities like CV and National City have been already fully developed since the 60’s and 70’s, but North County has seen very little development in that time span compared to the Southern portions of the county.

Hence as the saying goes, North of 8, South of 8 way of life in SD.

So I see heavier development up in NC and out East, since that’s where most of the empty plots of land is located.

But even if SD went on a massive building rampage, it will still be very expensive to live here. So in that sense, nothing will change besides for worsening traffic conditions and an added strain on our natural resources which in turn will only become more expensive such as water and utilities.
Good post SDlife619.

The traffic is a real issue. There's only so much we can widen major freeways.

Speaking of CV, they're in the final planning stages for the last eastern expansion of the Otay Ranch area. It will extend all the way to North Jamul through Proctor Valley. I remember when Southwestern College Estates in CV was considered the "back country" of CV. But, overall, CV has done a good job with building the city out and there definitely is demand for new homes so I'm not complaining.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
They’ve already done this, they’re known as “the projects”. Go to any major city in the Midwest, or east coast, and tell me how well it worked out.
Actually, I think they also tried in the 70s and 80s in areas like Normal Heights, City Heights and North Park. That's how we ended up with so many lovely two story cinderblock complexes in a lot of that area.

I think one of the issues is that the perception of a "home" hasn't changed much since the 1950s. People are OK with apartments when they're young and single or old and retired. But, *most* people in the middle still picture "the American dream" as a three bedroom detached house with a garage. That would have to change to get enough people into apartments/condos/townhomes.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:22 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Whooohooo

So happy you can benefit at the expense of future generations, for which homebuying isn't an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego