Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 2,164 times

Advertisements

who cares about settling for average, do you?...do you aspire to live in an average neighborhood or an average income?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Looks like someone created a new username just for me. So flattered.

And LOL at you trying to bring up GDP. Metro Miami has almost twice the population of Metro SD so of course the it will have a higher number. Now figure out the per capita amount and watch Miami sink to the bottom.....Again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 04:07 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,752,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbetold2018 View Post
Florida is a big state also.

If you only look at median income, San Diego MSA ranks higher than LA MSA...you honestly think there is more wealth in San Diego than LA MSA--gimme a break....LA is global financial engines, SD is not. The reason it ranks lower from a median income ranking is because there are millions more people in the LA MSA; it is much easier to maintain a higher average off of a much smaller base (SD). Basic math concept....again, the reason why GDP is a better measure of wealth/economic impact for a region than median income. Sure, LA also has more poor areas but I would think most on this forum are not aspiring to live in Compton, South Gate, ...or Barrio Logan....sdurbanite is cherry picking by focusing on poverty and ignoring overall wealth.
Instead of looking at actual numbers try looking at the percentages. Just admit it upsets you that you live in one of the least educated, lowest pay, highest poverty ranked cities in the country. Fine, and that's your choice. Just accept that your neighbors tend to be uneducated, underachievers or wealthy second home owners. That's Miami in a nutshell.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbetold2018 View Post
CA = highest poverty rate in the nation....he who lives in glass houses.....

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...81.html]Latest[/url] census stats show a fifth of Californians in poverty | The Sacramento Bee

Why]Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America?[/url] is liberal California the poverty capital of America

Real GDP for the top 50 MSA's shows the Miami-FLL-Palm Beach MSA 11th, 5 spots higher than San Diego which came in at 16th.....GDP is a much better means of measuring a MSA's wealth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP[/url]
Going back your GDP list, Miami is the 7th largest metro and has the 11th largest GDP. Talk about punching below its weight.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:17 PM

So you moved from Miami to LA now? That was fast. What happened? Bored so easily?

Old 05-13-2018, 04:19 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,162,626 times
Such displays of elitism from those who revel in San Diego’s supposed anti elitism.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:30 PM

7,417 posts, read 6,584,710 times
Nope, I live in Brickell—in Miami. Going on 18 months now but get back to SD on business once a year.

Hard to believe you stayed and/or drove through here, as I reply to an earlier thread from you:

Poverty?...Not sure where you drove on your visit but you seemed to miss quite a bit. I could have pointed out the following had you inquired:

1. Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental high end chains within mile of one another. Usually don’t see those in poor neighborhoods and conspicuously absent from SD. (St Regis and multiple Ritz-Carlton’s elsewhere).
2. 2 Equinox within 1/4 mile of one another (at $160/mo usually don’t see those in poor neighborhoods)
3. Penthouse condo for sale for $43M at Echo Brickell. I think the record sale of a condo in San Diego might be 1/4 of that . I could list detached home / estate sale prices in case you wish to throw in and compare LJ, RSF, etc.
4. 1.5B mall with high end shops, Brickell City Centre, opened whereas DTSD cannot support Horton Plaza. Same owner/developer as Bal Harbour Shops.
5. High end restaurants choosing Miami as its first US outpost. Not sure why they would select such a poor area. Talking London and Dubai based La Petite Maison; Istanbul and United Arab Emirates based Nusr-et from Salt Bae; and Italy’s Santa Margherita Winery opening a 3 story Eataly-esque La Centrale
6. One can look out their balcony and see Fisher Island—wealthiest zip code in the entire country.

Not sure what poverty you saw in this neighborhood—Perhaps the modern (not 1970’s Koll architecture), lack of homeless and potholes threw you for a loss. Maybe there were more people dressed in suits than you are accustomed to. Hope your trip was not a total loss and you enjoyed the nice warm weather...now I do agree with you that South Beach is not that great a place to live—need to move up to Bal Harbour.

Quote:
So you moved from Miami to LA now? That was fast. What happened? Bored so easily?

Last edited by elchevere; 05-13-2018 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Nope, I live in Brickell—in Miami.

Hard to believe you drove through here, as I reply to an earlier thread from you:

Adjunct poverty? Not sure where you drove:

1. Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental high end chains within mile of one another. Usually don’t see those in poor neighborhoods and conspicuously absent from SD.
2. 2 Equinox within 1/4 mile of one another (at $160/mo usually don’t see those in poor neighborhoods)
3. Penthouse condo for sale for $43M at Echo Brickell. I think the record sale of a condo in San Diego might be 1/4 of that . I could list detached home sale prices in case you wish to throw in LJ, RSF, etc.
4. 1.5B mall with high end shops, Brickell City Centre, opened whereas DTSD cannot support Horton Plaza.
5. High end restaurants choosing Miami as its first outpost. Not sure why they would select such a poor area. Talking Lindon based La Petite Maison; Istanbul and United Arab Emirates based Nusr-et from Salt Bae; and Italy’s Santa Magherita opening a 3 story Eataly-esque La Centrale
6. One can look out their balcony and see Fisher Island—wealthiest zip code in the entire country.

Not sure what poverty you saw in this neighborhood—Perhaps the modern (not 1970’s Koll architecture), lack of homeless and potholes threw you for a loss.
And who can afford anything mentioned above? The wealthy tourists and second home owners, that's who. Certainly not the average Miamian. I've said it before, Miami is a playground for the rich.

I just got back a weekend in Miami and stayed in Brickell. A block away from BCC. I've gotta say, that mall is DOA (Dead on Drrival). The only place with shoppers was the Apple store. The other shops had no one in them. Had lunch at La Centrale and there were plenty of places to sit since no one was there. Eataly-esque? Now that's funny. I can't believe anyone would build a downtown mall these days. Even Horton Plaza has plans to be partially torn down and repositioned.

What's the big deal about Brickell, anyways? I drove down Brickell Ave and it's not very walkable, at all. Lots of staircases leading the building lobbys. The view from my hotel was of mostly empty residential towers and zero pedestrian activity.

South Beach seems ghetto fabulous these days. Wynwood was jammed with tourists taking selfies of themselves. Not sure I ever need to go back to Miami again. I visited a couple friends but my main purpose was to catch a game at Marlins Stadium, where the announced attendance on a Friday night was 5,992 fans. Yes, 5,992!

Old 05-13-2018, 05:16 PM

354 posts, read 386,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What are you looking for, what can you afford, what is the likelihood of getting work in other areas? There are lots of places to move to outside of CA and not in the desert or constant rain.
Right now I'm leaning towards the south east. Warm weather but with rain and some mild season changes. Lower cost of living and affordable housing in respect to salaries. I would be able to get work in basically any metro area.

I'm hoping to be near the water but may make some concessions since I dont need the OCEAN. Large lakes and rivers may work just fine for my purposes, so perhaps greenville SC. Other than that, savannah GA, Raleigh, Wilmington NC... and go from there!!

Old 05-13-2018, 05:43 PM

354 posts, read 386,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttec23 View Post
I feel the same exact way on all your points.

The one thing San Diego does differently than everywhere else is it merges suburban life with city life. I am from NJ. I grew up in a suburb; there was no city life around. I had to drive to NYC for that and it was a pain to get in and out of the city. In a lot of ways, life in NJ was boring and I felt like I was missing out on all the things major cities have to offer (food, new restaurants, great sushi, open minded people, diversity, fashion, acceptance for different lifestyles)

The only problem is that I am not a city person, I like open spaces, forests/trees, easy parking, breathing room. I can't stand the hot and humid subways of NYC. I love Chicago but after a weekend visit I need to leave.

San Diego meshes everything you'd go to a city for, but with a suburban layout. You get the progressiveness of major cities (the noise too) right in your little beach town. When I used to live in NJ and would visit NYC or Chicago, it would feel like I had been living under a rock my whole life. The bars, restaurants, people, and liveliness was all the opposite of my quiet little town. But now after living in San Diego, when I visit, say Brooklyn, the hip restaurants and bars there are pretty much identical as the one I frequent up here in South Oceanside.

I am assuming Ohio is similar to NJ. Suburban life, homes with a front and backyard, strip malls with pizza joints and Chinese restaurants. A few local bars where the people from your town go on Friday and Saturday nights. It's nice, I get it. But to experience the city life, you'd probably have to go to Cleveland or Columbus, right?

I say this only to help you understand San Diego. Because I go crazy here too. I think California is sold as one thing, but the reality is much different. Yes you can play volleyball year round on the beach, but, I mean, who wants to do the same thing year round, every year? You can go surfing in January and laugh at your friends back East who have to "endure the cold", but, I mean, you know damn well they are all having good times in that cold weather. It's not all doom and gloom in the winter. I used to own an ATV and I'd pull my friends on snowboards through the streets after a big snowfall. Police didn't care at all. Also, snow can be romantic, and so can rain, and thunderstorms. I don't really feel San Diego is that romantic of a city, but romance is different to all of us I guess.

I'm right there with ya. It's a love/hate thing with SD for sure. I've been here 8 years, left once and came back. I am in sales, wife works, we have no kids. Make mid six figures but we can't afford to buy, especially when rent is so high, saving money is a slower process. I am egging her on to move though. We are throwing around Wilmington, NC. Small town, cool little downtown area, warm ocean water, four seasons but mild. We'll see. She's a CA native and doesn't want to leave, even if the math doesn't work out, she wants to stay.
You will have to keep me posted on what you guys end up doing. I'm in sales too and I know the feeling about saving. Its just too hard and out of reach. Feels like a rat race trying to make it work. I hope you convince the wife to be open minded!!

Old 05-13-2018, 06:11 PM

7,417 posts, read 6,584,710 times
I was pointing out there is a $43M condo for sale as an extreme example. Yes, that is not for everyone, only the elite—but why would the rich want to live on top of poverty as you originally claimed about here..now, there are a lot of successful professionals in the area who can and do afford $500K and above condos. Not all go for $2M, $5M or $43M though there are plenty of high priced ones here.There are a lot of finance/international finance-banks workers along with medical professionals and attorneys in this area. Just because this is a 75% Latino area does not mean they do not live here full time. I suspect the area will also receive its share of people from NY, NJ, and even CA who relocate here following the new tax law and reduced write offs.

You are mistaken if you think BCC is DOA. This project is owned by the Whitman family, which also owns Bal Harbour Shops—consistently one of the top, if not the top, sales per square foot grossing malls in the country. We are talking high end shops, not anchored by a Macy’s or Nordstrom’s. Do not judge this mall by foot traffic, measure it by register sales which is the same thing with Bal Harbour Shops. Nordstrom’s needs to sell a lot of socks and branded jeans whereas the ring from Kiton, Santoni, Chopard is another story. I do love that Apple Store as I always get great service and, yes, La Centrale is a 3-story Italian eatery with several dining options. To a lesser extent, Casa Tua (single story, multiple food stations) across the street in Saks as well.

There is less pedestrian traffic on the weekends when people are not heading to work but it is far from some financial centers (SF comes to mind) that are dead. Besides Brickell Avenue, there is South Miami Avenue with Mary Brickell Village and other restaurants/bars/markets/cigar lounge, etc. There are also very nice walking paths along the bay starting by the drawbridge and W / Icon, Brickell Key, and by the Jade—where I live. This is a luxury building directly on the water with killer amenities (2 infinity pools looking towards SoBe and Fisher Island along with a huge 5 Room gym with health spa/Massage that is about 30%+ less expensive than a comparable Meridian or Pacific Gate condo). This is what appeals to me, not to mention more clean cut professionals and unbelievably gorgeous women, mainly Latin, who have style. It also is within close proximity to several other neighborhoods that I mentioned in my earlier thread and tends to be cooler than the beach since it gets a constant breeze and the tall buildings block out some of the heat.

I could see how you missed some of the better restaurants, etc as they are incorporated into high rise condos or office buildings, but they are here. I could see how you or someone else would hate the area if they had to commute to work (I don’t) and deal with the traffic and god awful /worst drivers. I could see how you might not like paying $1000, or more, HOA fees. I could see how a white (American/Caucasian white, not Latino or Hispanic White)might feel a little uncomfortable or have a more difficult time blending in with residents in an area that is 75% Latino.

Sounds like you might have stayed at East Hotel.

Quote:
And who can afford anything mentioned above? The wealthy tourists and second home owners, that's who. Certainly not the average Miamian. I've said it before, Miami is a playground for the rich.

I just got back a weekend in Miami and stayed in Brickell. A block away from BCC. I've gotta say, that mall is DOA (Dead on Drrival). The only place with shoppers was the Apple store. The other shops had no one in them. Had lunch at La Centrale and there were plenty of places to sit since no one was there. Eataly-esque? Now that's funny. I can't believe anyone would build a downtown mall these days. Even Horton Plaza has plans to be partially torn down and repositioned.

What's the big deal about Brickell, anyways’ ? I drove down Brickell Ave and it's not very walkable, at all. Lots of staircases leading the building lobbys. The view from my hotel was of mostly empty residential towers and zero pedestrian activity.

South Beach seems ghetto fabulous these days. Wynwood was jammed with tourists taking selfies of themselves. Not sure I ever need to go back to Miami again. I visited a couple friends but my main purpose was to catch a game at Marlins Stadium, where the announced attendance on a Friday night was 5,992 fans. Yes, 5,992!
Hi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego