Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 9,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Depends on the neighborhood. I have 3 kids and live on a cul-de-sac. Of the 10 homes on our street, 6 of them have kids. We get together often in the street, play basketball, cocktails, etc... We also have a large carpool to the school every morning and afternoon that the moms run.

San Diego can be everything you're looking for... if you can afford to live in the right place.
That’s great. What area are y’all in? Could you point me to similar areas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 05:23 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Some of my best friends from childhood through adulthood moved here from Texas, as did several friends that moved away only to come back, does that count?

People are super friendly here, especially in the suburbs, they moved there for a reason, mostly for their kids/future kids. I don’t know how much merit there is to this, but I believe a big reason neighborhoods aren't what they’re used to back home is there’s so many year round activities out here. People are always off doing something, thus not making their house and neighborhood the focal point of their lives in their free time. This is just something I’ve noticed growing up when all my friends would take on the weekends, and now as I do the same as an adult.

It sounds like you’d be a perfect fit with your love of outdoor activities. Good luck

Old 06-08-2018, 07:01 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
It's a great place to raise a family if you have the financial means to make it here. My wife and I are raising four of our own and we think its a fantastic and safe place to raise kids especially if you are into the outdoors. If ‘neighborly’ is what you are after, I would say Texas wins that one hands down compared to San Diego. People here are nice enough on the surface, but I don't think people will go out of there way to make you feel welcome here. Most neighbors here keep to themselves and it really depends on the type of neighborhood you live in that will determine how friendly people are.

I'll throw another anecdote out there, when your driving on a rural road in SD County and you pass someone and you give them the steering wheel wave, you get nothing in return. Rural Texas, you will get a response 90% of the time... if that even can be use as a gauge to how neighborly people are.

I agree with Default that of all the cities in Texas, Austin seems more on par with San Diego as far as culture and personality. Not considering financial circumstances and careers, I wholeheartedly recommend living here over Texas.
Ya need a lifted 4x4 and camo hat to get the finger wave

Old 06-08-2018, 08:37 AM

8 posts, read 9,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Some of my best friends from childhood through adulthood moved here from Texas, as did several friends that moved away only to come back, does that count?

People are super friendly here, especially in the suburbs, they moved there for a reason, mostly for their kids/future kids. I don’t know how much merit there is to this, but I believe a big reason neighborhoods aren't what they’re used to back home is there’s so many year round activities out here. People are always off doing something, thus not making their house and neighborhood the focal point of their lives in their free time. This is just something I’ve noticed growing up when all my friends would take on the weekends, and now as I do the same as an adult.

It sounds like you’d be a perfect fit with your love of outdoor activities. Good luck
That makes sense! Everyone is out enjoying themselves Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:16 PM

485 posts, read 324,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx View Post
I've found a lot of information on the web on moving to TX from CA/SD but was wondering if there were any folks who could share their experience moving to SD from TX? How was the transition? Pros? Cons? Thanks!
I'm not from Texas (I'm from Colorado) but I lived in the Houston area in my late teens/early 20's while I was still living at home with my parents. Since leaving Houston, our family moved to Seattle then back to Colorado (Denver).

I ended up marrying a guy who's from San Diego who got a job here in his hometown which is what brought me here so I've been living in SoCal since 2005.

While I do like San Diego, a big part of me still misses Houston. I only lived there for 5 years but they were very happy years. I miss all the greenery, the thunderstorms, all the professional sports teams, the big beautiful affordable homes, the cost of living, how great my skin looked because of the moisture in the air, but most importantly, how nice everyone was down there. Texans were so friendly and very welcoming. It was incredibly easy for me to make friends.

I am the oldest of 4 and I still remember the day my dad told us his company had mass layoffs and he lost his job and we would be moving. We all cried and didn't want to leave.

We moved to Seattle (which I did come to love) but I still missed that southern hospitality. If I could create my favorite city/town it would be the look of Seattle but the friendliness of Texas.

While I do enjoy a lot about San Diego...I still feel something is missing. I'm still trying to figure out what that is. But it definitely does not have the friendliness of Texas...in fact, that's been one of the major drawbacks for SD (or California in general). I have not found people to be overly warm or welcoming here. I feel there is a little bit of an attitude, almost like they feel they're better than everyone else. (Ducking for cover).

Old 06-09-2018, 09:27 AM

67 posts, read 58,277 times
curious,

You have to remember that San Diego is a military town, the children and grandchildren all raised in a military type atmosphere. Strict, narrow minded, cold and cautious..they're always on guard, its just that, the military style. I picked it up soon while living there. This is there attitude, better than everyone else, I didn't pick that up, I read it as 'we're part of a bigger family, a military family', but perhaps thats how you read it since this is who they hang around with, not the surfer down at the beach, nor the nurse who works at Salk, or the geeks at Quail Com...Its there town, they built it..they are the military family.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:53 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowrose3 View Post
curious,

You have to remember that San Diego is a military town, the children and grandchildren all raised in a military type atmosphere. Strict, narrow minded, cold and cautious..they're always on guard, its just that, the military style. I picked it up soon while living there. This is there attitude, better than everyone else, I didn't pick that up, I read it as 'we're part of a bigger family, a military family', but perhaps thats how you read it since this is who they hang around with, not the surfer down at the beach, nor the nurse who works at Salk, or the geeks at Quail Com...Its there town, they built it..they are the military family.
Oh jeeze!

Old 06-10-2018, 07:12 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowrose3 View Post
curious,

Yeeeeeeahhhhhhh, I'd have to say this is pretty far off the mark of the attitude of SD. Transients and lots of short term relationships makes a population this way was well. The military presence in SD is pretty small. I am not sure why people give it this much credit. My experience in O'Side is they feel outta place being mostly form the midwest and keep to themselves, but not in an egotistical way.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:14 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Yikes, I’ve lived here 40 years and have felt no military presence or influence whatsoever in my daily life. Maybe if you live in Oceanside or Coronado, but that label as a military town just doesn’t ring true for me or anybody else I know either. SD is much more known for high tech/biotech I think. Military folks seem to blend in with the community, at least where I have lived, same as anyone else.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:53 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya need a lifted 4x4 and camo hat to get the finger wave
I'll get the 'two fingers down' salute out there from other motorcyclist when on my Kawasaki, but zero response in my Silverado. I'm going to have to lift her to get some love shown to me on the SD back roads, I'll pass on the hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego