Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 03:35 PM

546 posts, read 818,359 times

Advertisements

Looking for some local input on the East Village as a place to live. General quality of life, access to stores, walkability, etc.

I am not a huge baseball fan so Petco Park does nothing for me. I realize that it probably gets crowded on game nights.

I was surprised to see this condo sold recently in the East Village for $390,000. The building looks very nice (built in 2007).
800 The Mark Lane #404, San Diego CA - Trulia

One bed/one bath, 842 square feet. Clearly not huge but I live in LA and we built fewer condos during the last boom than San Diego. I am thinking downtown San Diego's condo prices are more reasonable than LA's right now. Possibly due to more inventory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 03:39 PM

210 posts, read 412,525 times
Yes.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:33 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
Walk around and make sure you like the neighborhood. Besides being by the ballpark you are closer to more homeless and more stench from dog waste than other areas of downtown and some buildings (Icon) are home to late night partiers.The Mark is a good building in better location though. Consider Little Italy and Marina districts.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-19-2014 at 06:42 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 03:29 PM

Thanks, appreciate it.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:17 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,869 times
There are some decent parts of East Villiage and there are some areas where you probably try and avoid. I lived off of Park Ave a number of years ago and there were homeless tents, drug dealers, etc. There are some sketchy areas along the trolley. There are even some condos and apartment buildings in those areas that charge an arm and a leg and are really not in nice areas.

It really depends on what you're used to and comfortable with. If you walk late at night in one direction, you probably need to watch your back and the roads you take. Other areas will have more partiers. Other areas will be more quiet. The East Villiage is one of those areas they are trying to revitalize. Some parts have changes, some not so much.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:15 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,432,447 times
You might as well live in downtown baltimore. You will get the same thrill factor. Not to mention this is an " up and coming area" which means lots of construction projects.

You want to be around the nice people of SD ? This is one area that I felt lacked good energy. It seems like people want to act metropolitan. Sorry but I am not looking for "fabulous" in dowtown SD.

The bummer is some of SD's nicest high rises are in this area and compared to other major cities in the USA affordable.

The area which really breaks my heart is Little Italy and the area around the Santa Fe Depot....beautiful high rises overlooking the bay and marina.....BUT there is an airport and Amtrak Train right outside your window. It's a crime !

Old 05-20-2014, 05:44 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,073,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
You might as well live in downtown baltimore. You will get the same thrill factor. Not to mention this is an " up and coming area" which means lots of construction projects.

You want to be around the nice people of SD ? This is one area that I felt lacked good energy. It seems like people want to act metropolitan. Sorry but I am not looking for "fabulous" in dowtown SD.

The bummer is some of SD's nicest high rises are in this area and compared to other major cities in the USA affordable.

The area which really breaks my heart is Little Italy and the area around the Santa Fe Depot....beautiful high rises overlooking the bay and marina.....BUT there is an airport and Amtrak Train right outside your window. It's a crime !
Great post. Though, I love that the airport is downtown-all talks to move it always stall or delay...I find SD one of the easiest and nicest airports to fly out in the country [and in the world, relative to the countries i've been to/from]. Amtrak has been there for a long time, as well. Little Italy was there, but not really a mega italian hot bed in recent decades, and a very small cultural enclave to begin with. Like most things in SD or so cal, 'little italy' today is a tourist construction of synthetic proportions. Superficial and 'esque' are words that I would use to describe it and most other 'trends' that reach SD.

This means that even if someone likes the small downtown area and wants a more city feel, there will not be any 'depth' to that experience (as in historical depth or 'authenticity' of culture), which can add to the already small geographical nature of the area. I think many people move from larger cities with really strong ethnic enclaves or historical buildings, for example, and look for the same. Those neighborhoods have depth, dimension and character. SD is not really like that. Though, in my experience, that's part of its charm, too-in that people are friendly and not particular attached to traditions and 'the way its always done'.

At the end of the day, SD is a 'big small town'. It's a small metro area that is growing-but it doesn't have a financial district or other 'downtown' features that larger metros and older cities with more history might have. Yet, people continue to move here asking about high rises and wanting to live the 'big city life' only a 'more laid back place with great weather', it seems. But, SD is not that city. It's not particularly cosmopolitan like LA or NYC.

And part of what makes it laid back is the fact that it's not cosmopolitan (in addition to the aforementioned not attached to tradition or history). Also, it is still a beach town=-beach communities and their personalities are a huge part of the city's atmosphere. But many people move here saying 'i'm not into the beach scene'. This is fine-but the fact is there is no one, single 'beach scene'. The beach communities are just that-they aren't all miami beach! And, if someone isn't into beach, there are other areas to live, of course. Just not really a high rise-y, downtown 'big city' area of an size or substance. Recently regentrified and not a place where everyone commutes to work should tell people something...

Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,432,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I find SD one of the easiest and nicest airports to fly out in the country [and in the world, relative to the countries i've been to/from].
True Dat.

I don't panic when I get to the SD airport like I do in NYC. At JFK you need to get there 3 hours early for a domestic flight if you want to be safe.

I'd love a harbor view apartment without the noise but they are hard to find or quiet ones face an inner courtyard...hardly any reason to be in that area.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:59 AM

I was in San Diego for a quick visit this weekend. Amazed at how clean downtown San Diego is...even the East Village. Spotless compared to downtown LA or parts of San Francisco. I grew up in LA and have been to San Diego many, many times but the cleanliness of dowtown SD just really caught my attention this time.

You San Diego folks need to come visit downtown LA (or San Francisco)...if you want to see real homeless encampments and the dirt/grime associated with it.

I was in the East Village on Monday (Memorial Day) and was actually impressed with how many people I saw out and about. Yes, I saw some panhandlers and homeless folks but totally harmless and nothing compared to downtown LA. Overall, I saw sidewalk cafes spilling out with people. I love the proximity to the Gaslamp yet it is removed from the center of all that activity.

Also, I don't believe there was a Padres game so the stadium did not draw anybody to the area. I guess 80 plus home games per year could be a downside to a resident in that it draws in tons of cars/people.

No doubt, the East Village is a work in progress. The new Sempra Engergy headquarters under construction should be a good boost to the area (16 story office building). Hopefully, more offices will come in to diversfy the area a bit.

Finally, never noticed the "new" Albertson's before. Guess it has been there since 2006 or 2007 but good to know there are a few grocery store options in downtown. Downtown LA is finally catching up (a very nice Ralphs's Fresh Fare opened in 2007 and a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are under construction).

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM

6,508 posts, read 7,545,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
Downtown LA is finally catching up (a very nice Ralphs's Fresh Fare opened in 2007 and a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are under construction).
Last time I went to Staples Center I saw that they had something called a " City Target" as well.
But I agree, East Village and downtown SD is a cakewalk when compared to how rough DT LA and SF can be in certain sections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego