Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 09:37 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times

Advertisements

A segment on Fox 5 about raising money to provide food for the homeless and reporter Kristina Audencial make a pretty insensitive comment towards the end...

https://youtu.be/4S8hmFHU6gs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 11:14 AM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
A segment on Fox 5 about raising money to provide food for the homeless and reporter Kristina Audencial make a pretty insensitive comment towards the end...

https://youtu.be/4S8hmFHU6gs
“Dress like a homeless person”.

The problem with it- dressing homeless may not look the same. Truthfully we all have an image of what that looks like and if we all shared it- chances are we’d have similar attributes maybe some differences as well.

I really have no bar of excellence for media these days so misleading statements I don’t give them a second thought.

I heard the other day “she dresses like a soccer mom”. I thought yoga pants, running shoes and an athletic top with hair in a pony tail. I’m sure folks have different images in mind.

On a side note I always find it fascinating what San Diegans think “getting dressed up” means. Sneakers with suits!!! SMH

Old 12-05-2018, 11:43 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Meh.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:03 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
hahaha, insensitive but funny. She'll get a talking to but nothing will come of it. If it were a racial comment she'd be out of a job.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:58 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
“Dress like a homeless person”.

The problem with it- dressing homeless may not look the same. Truthfully we all have an image of what that looks like and if we all shared it- chances are we’d have similar attributes maybe some differences as well.

I really have no bar of excellence for media these days so misleading statements I don’t give them a second thought.

I heard the other day “she dresses like a soccer mom”. I thought yoga pants, running shoes and an athletic top with hair in a pony tail. I’m sure folks have different images in mind.

On a side note I always find it fascinating what San Diegans think “getting dressed up” means. Sneakers with suits!!! SMH
That use to be Soccer Moms, but now that's every other chick

Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
A year or so ago I was sitting on a curb at a gas station/store in Merced wearing a black T-shirt, cut-off blue jeans, and sneakers eating a sandwich.

This lady gets out of her truck that was being filled at a pump, walks over to me and hands me a water bottle and says that's all she's got for now.

I thank her and take the bottle. Guess I should have said 'God bless you'.

I drank that water with my sandwich and was appreciative of her generosity... even if it was just a bottle of water. Her intentions were genuine.

Hey, you never can be 100% who is homeless or not based on what a person dresses like.

That said, I no longer wear those cut-off blue jeans (they were cool way back, though).

Old 12-05-2018, 08:10 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
A year or so ago I was sitting on a curb at a gas station/store in Merced wearing a black T-shirt, cut-off blue jeans, and sneakers eating a sandwich.

This lady gets out of her truck that was being filled at a pump, walks over to me and hands me a water bottle and says that's all she's got for now.

I drank that water with my sandwich and was appreciative of her generosity... even if it was just a bottle of water. Her intentions were genuine.

Hey, you never can be 100% who is homeless or not based on what a person dresses like.

That said, I no longer wear those cut-off blue jeans (they were cool way back, though).
Dude, cut-off blue jeans, really? I stopped wearing those in the ‘70s along with the boxers hanging down below the frayed cut for extra style haha!

Old 12-06-2018, 08:38 AM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
That use to be Soccer Moms, but now that's every other chick
better be careful lol.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post

I think it was the fact you were sitting on a gas station curb that caused the confusion of you being homeless, not your attire. I don’t know how old you are, but I don’t think I’ve sat on a curb outside a store since I was a child, maybe early teen, opening a pack of babeball cards or drinking a slurpee. I couldn’t imagine sitting on a curb as an adult unless I just walked a very long way in the heat because my car broke down. Regardless, it’s probably for the best you ditched those shorts.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:35 AM

673 posts, read 465,525 times
I dress homeless every day of my life. Old t's, jeans and beat up sneakers. My buddies dress the same way, they have money. What is your point? Why is it always someone always insulted or offended by everything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: