Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:37 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I hike with my dogs in that general area all the time, as well as other areas where there are mountain lions and lots of other wildlife (like the trails right off of my backyard). I've never had a problem, but I have big dogs who are pretty well trained about what to do when they encounter wildlife like coyotes, bobcats, and rattlesnakes. And, they're always on leash when we're hiking. I'm in the process of training my three month old shepherd mix puppy to go hiking with me and just did part of the Big Laguna Trail with her last Friday. She wasn't eaten by a mountain lion. I haven't lost a dog to a mountain lion after 35 years and six dogs, even though we get mountain lions in our area from time to time)

I guess I go by the philosophy that you can't let fear determine your life. Sure, stuff happens, but I don't want to stay locked in my house all the time and neither do my dogs. Be smart and be prepared, but don't let fear keep you from doing things. (As an aside, the biggest rattlesnake I've ever encountered was at Sunset Cliffs Park, not in the back country).

Cruitr - Glad to hear that you and your wife have made a decision about your retirement home. There's something to be said for staying put if you're in an area you love. My husband and I plan to hang out in Jamul as long as we can - we can't imagine living anywhere else until we're so old we can't walk.

To everyone else - happy holidays!
The big cats are dangerous to unaccompanied dogs and humans, for sure ... but any good sized dog WITH a human is not a likely target. Cats only play when the odds are in their favor. One on one can look good. Two against one, not so much. Two good sized dogs on leash with a person. Not going to be challenged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 02:09 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Most of the back country has just as many cats as the park. Those signs are everywhere and for good reason. Did you see that video of the lion grabbing a doberman but got stopped because the dog was on a chain.
I haven’t seen that video but I’ll search for it. That’s crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I hike with my dogs in that general area all the time, as well as other areas where there are mountain lions and lots of other wildlife (like the trails right off of my backyard). I've never had a problem, but I have big dogs who are pretty well trained about what to do when they encounter wildlife like coyotes, bobcats, and rattlesnakes. And, they're always on leash when we're hiking. I'm in the process of training my three month old shepherd mix puppy to go hiking with me and just did part of the Big Laguna Trail with her last Friday. She wasn't eaten by a mountain lion. I haven't lost a dog to a mountain lion after 35 years and six dogs, even though we get mountain lions in our area from time to time)

I guess I go by the philosophy that you can't let fear determine your life. Sure, stuff happens, but I don't want to stay locked in my house all the time and neither do my dogs. Be smart and be prepared, but don't let fear keep you from doing things. (As an aside, the biggest rattlesnake I've ever encountered was at Sunset Cliffs Park, not in the back country).

Cruitr - Glad to hear that you and your wife have made a decision about your retirement home. There's something to be said for staying put if you're in an area you love. My husband and I plan to hang out in Jamul as long as we can - we can't imagine living anywhere else until we're so old we can't walk.

To everyone else - happy holidays!
I agree Rosie. You just have to be wise. I was up there yesterday and saw some deer and turkeys, but no mountain lions. I just cringe when I see someone up there with their Boston Terrier or other small dog, off leash and running all over the place. They’re cute, friendly, excited and, to a mountain lion, delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego