Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:02 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,490,601 times

Advertisements

Exploring SD as a relo option.

Home with large usable lot (~1 acre), approximate budget $600K. Don't care about being near ocean and would prefer to be closer to mountains or wherever one finds snow in the region. I work from home so commute is not an issue. A place to ski within a couple hours would be a bonus. Good schools for the kids!

Is this possible in the SD metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Home with large usable lot (~1 acre), approximate budget $600K.
No.

You might find something an hour plus to the east, or up in or past Escondido.

You won't be anywhere near a major population area.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:38 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Exploring SD as a relo option.

Home with large usable lot (~1 acre), approximate budget $600K. Don't care about being near ocean and would prefer to be closer to mountains or wherever one finds snow in the region. I work from home so commute is not an issue. A place to ski within a couple hours would be a bonus. Good schools for the kids!

One finds snow in this region a couple of times in winter when the snow level drops below 5000 ft. Highly unusual to find snow any lower than 3000 ft, and it has usually melted away after a couple of days. Snow is an unpredictable bonus around here. We don't have a ski resort here, or even designated skiing areas--we're too far south. You may be able to find snow in Big Bear (San Bernardino, about 60 miles to the north) somewhat more frequently than here, because the mountains are taller, but San Diego county is part subtropics, part desert, so don't expect any regular winter sports. For real skiing you'll need to go to Mammoth in the Sierras, and that's about 6-7 hours north.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Ramona.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:58 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Valley Center, Ramona, maybe some of the borderland areas. Schools are not going to be good and snow would be considered a rare event. Take a look at the communities at the base of the San Bernardino mountains as well, Yucaipa, Beaumont, flat large lots and right up against some large mountains which usually get at least some snow every year, and several ski areas nearby.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:32 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,269,294 times
I would echo Valley Center or Ramona, possible Lakeside, but even there, $600K is a very low budget. An acre of land is highly unlikely. You could consider buying an acre lot somewhere rural (far lower than $600K) and building a cabin or small prefab home on it.

I like the description of snow as an 'unpredictable bonus' around here. Our highest peaks are just a smidge above 6000 feet, and given our proximity to the ocean and our latitude, that means we don't get that very often. However, each winter should see it a few times at the higher peaks. Mt Laguna and Cuyamaca Peak seem most likely to get snow because of the best elevation. This year, we've had numerous heavy snowfalls in those areas, even expecting some flurries today, and that's been really nice for playing in the snow nearby.

There actually are plenty of ski resorts within two to three hours of San Diego. Here's an article I recently read: https://fitt.co/san-diego/the-best-s...ing-san-diego/ Most of the best resorts have been maintaining about 5-6 feet of base at the summit -- not like Mammoth by any stretch, but plenty for solid skiing. And with cold temps (highs in the 20s and lows in the teens) at those 8000+ foot elevations, they're always able to make snow when there isn't much falling from the sky. You have decent, reliable, but not spectacular ski resorts within a reasonably short drive. So don't be discouraged by naysayers, just don't expect Vail.

Still, that budget is very, very tough. Keep us posted on your progress!

Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 AM

84 posts, read 88,318 times
As everyone is pointing out, that is a tricky combination. You can find a home with space for around 600k however, it will probably be in a less populated area and the schools may be hit or miss- depending upon your definition of 'good schools'. Higher ranking school districts have a tendency to be more costly to get into and at certain times, limited availability. Good ski snow can be in Big Bear (especially right now with all of the rain we have had) but better skiing is in Mammoth which is about 7 hours away...many San Diegans make that trek multiple times every year... good luck making your decision!

Old 03-08-2019, 10:57 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,954 times
I’ll join in with everyone else and say your biggest issue is the full acre in an area with good schools in your budget. You can get 2 out of the 3, but not all 3. If you were to be fine with a larger lot in that .5 to nearly 1 acre range you could get a house like these in and around Rancho San Diego. My wife and I looked at several houses in the area and quickly realized how underappreciated that whole area is, and I grew up here, lol. You would be 30 minutes to the beach in Coronado, downtown & the airport (non rush hour), and about 45 minutes to our local mountains that get snow with views of them from your house. The schools are good too. It will be hotter there though, as will most places as you move further inland and get closer to the mountains. The average summer high will be in the mid 80’s, with plenty of days in the 90’s, and a few hitting 100. The rest of the year will be perfect.

Like others have said we don’t have ski resorts here, but I actually went yesterday and had a blast. It’s 2 hours (I don’t live terribly far from these houses) to my place in the San Bernardino mountains, with just another 10 minutes to the closet resort. There’s two more that are only about another 25-30 minutes away as well. Yes it’s true it’s not Mammoth or Tahoe, but when we have a good season, like 2 of the 3 have been since buying our place, even the biggest snow snobs will give them their due.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/El-Cajon/1...m_content=link

Old 03-09-2019, 01:58 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,654,185 times
I live in Jamul. My house is 18 miles from downtown SD but we have 3 acres, surrounded by mountains. The higher elevations of Jamul often get a dusting of snow and sometimes a bit of accumulation but it never lasts long.

However, there are definitely options here that will get you an acre or more in your price range.

Here are just two examples:

https://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-1900053...Jamul-CA-91935

https://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-1900080...Jamul-CA-91935

There are plenty of other areas - especially unincorporated areas - where you'll find options in your price range with land. Here's a short list of possibilities: Julian, Pine Valley, Palomar Mountain, Descanso, Alpine, Blossom Valley, Eucalyptus Hills (Lakeside), Crest, Dehesa, Granite Hills, Fallbrook, Valley Center, Ramona, Santa Ysabel. But there are other areas too.

Julian, Pine Valley, Palomar Mountain, Descanso, and the eastern reaches of Alpine are where you're likely to see the most snow accumulations on a regular basis (but again, that means several times a year not continual snow on the ground). Julian and Alpine probably have the best schools of this bunch.

A useful site for researching San Diego real estate by different sections of the county is: https://www.sdlookup.com/

But, if you want snow and skiing, take a look at Big Bear in the LA Mountains. You should find homes there in your price range. Or, even better, look at the mountain communities in Northern California, which get far more snow than anywhere in Southern California.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-09-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 02:20 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,654,185 times
P.S. I want to add something to consider if you're hoping to buy a house on land in a more rural area anywhere in California, and that's wild fire risk. While even suburban and urban areas here can be affected by wildfires, almost any home in California that's on an acre or more of land is likely to be in a more risky area for wildfires. Just something to consider if you're moving to California from another state where wildfires are infrequent or nonexistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego