Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:02 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

If they "jailed" everyone speeding on our local roads we'd go broke building jails. In many States the speed limit is over 80.

With that said, try and slot your speed with lanes. Stay out of the exit/merge lane. If you are towing stay in the next lane to the left to avoid constant jamming the brakes. The next lanes are really designed for flow. If you are speeding and weaving in and out you are a dick. If you are camping in the left lane while you have room to move right, just as big an a hole.

There will be people speeding, it's up to LE to reduce that. Not some self appointed traffic cop. Just keep to the right and let the turds get busted. Everything else in between is just not important. It's not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If they "jailed" everyone speeding on our local roads we'd go broke building jails. In many States the speed limit is over 80.
Or maybe people would learn to drive at legal, safe speeds like in every other developed country?

That can't possibly be your excuse. At the minimum, revoke their license. Operating a 2 ton machine at fast speeds is a huge responsibility. It's not a right, it's a privilege.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Or maybe people would learn to drive at legal, safe speeds like in every other developed country?

That can't possibly be your excuse. At the minimum, revoke their license. Operating a 2 ton machine at fast speeds is a huge responsibility. It's not a right, it's a privilege.
Maybe some day you'll visit this autobahn. Quite a "developed"country. Or you can scream at the sky because it won't change anything here. I drive a huge truck that doesn't do well over 62 mph because that's my best mpg. So that's where I leave it.

I'm not a HP officer so I don't pretend to be one by causing rolling road blocks like a lot of people do. They are just as guilty as the morons passing on the right at high speed. One can pretend that isn't the case but we all know it is. Expect the self appointed traffic cops to be more involved in death on the highway.

Just move over and let real cops deal with them.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:35 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Maybe some day you'll visit this autobahn. Quite a "developed"country.
Maybe some day you'll read a book and learn the autobahn was designed for those speeds, while our freeways were not.

Or that Germans take driving seriously because it is a privilege and takes significant training/money to get a license.

Quote:
Or you can scream at the sky because it won't change anything here.
Obviously regulating freeway speeding is a matter of enforcement, but regulating local and arterial street driving is a matter of design. Alternatively they are putting speed regulators on scooters, why not cars? Europe will implement it by 2022.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekea.../#73efb0c04c34

They changed La Jolla Blvd from a 4-lane highway to a two-lane road with roundabouts. It still gets 23,000 vehicles per day, while cutting crashes by 90%.

In summary, I've presented two viable solutions to address speeding and reckless driving.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:15 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Maybe some day you'll read a book and learn the autobahn was designed for those speeds, while our freeways were not.

They changed La Jolla Blvd from a 4-lane highway to a two-lane road with roundabouts. It still gets 23,000 vehicles per day, while cutting crashes by 90%.
And maybe one day you’ll actually drive on the autobahn and learn people know how to get out of the left lane. And contrary to popular belief there is a speed limit when you’re near major population centers. I’ve driven throughout Germany on the autobahn multiple times and I love how drivers, myself included, know how to get out of the left lane for faster vehicles. This includes when you’re on it near entering a city and there is a speed limit. Americans, and many commenting on this thread, should take a page from this. The left lane ain’t for cruising, regardless of speed.

I never realized La Jolla Blvd used to be a “4 lane Highway”, lol. I would love to see your source that crashes have been reduced by 90% since they put in the roundabouts. Do you know why they put in the roundabouts in the first place? It had nothing to do with safety, speed, or the sorts.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:33 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right wing tex View Post
After having lived here for a number of years, I have several thoughts about traffic here:

1. People here drive really slow, day or night. Slow at lunch, slow on Sundays.
No real urgency to drive even 10 miles over the speed limit. Let’s face it, in most large cities,
the real speed limit is like 80, and I have lived in over 20 locations coast to coast.

2. Left lanes are clogged, right most lanes open and fast. Wherever you go, whether it’s the 5 or 15 or state highways, it’s the same thing. Want to get to downtown fastest from oceanside?Stay on right lane!

3. What has happened to So Cal drivers over the past 40 years?
In 1980, visitors from Nebraska were shocked at the speed at which San Diego or LA drivers drove.
Now we have such slow and left lane cruisers!

I think this is what happens when your area just becomes a tourist joint or retirement joint
and there is not a lot of hard charging businessman or professionals on their way to work at 7 am just
The pedal to the metal.

Just so frustrated with the slow, glacial pace of San Diego’s highways. Go see how it’s done
In the suburbs of Dallas, Houston or Atlanta. Sure there’s traffic but people have a sense of urgency.

Speed doesn’t kill as much as the differential of speed.

Nonsense.

I lived in DFW for 20 years, and traffic is much faster here.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
And maybe one day you’ll actually drive on the autobahn and learn people know how to get out of the left lane. And contrary to popular belief there is a speed limit when you’re near major population centers. I’ve driven throughout Germany on the autobahn multiple times and I love how drivers, myself included, know how to get out of the left lane for faster vehicles. This includes when you’re on it near entering a city and there is a speed limit. Americans, and many commenting on this thread, should take a page from this. The left lane ain’t for cruising, regardless of speed.

I never realized La Jolla Blvd used to be a “4 lane Highway”, lol. I would love to see your source that crashes have been reduced by 90% since they put in the roundabouts. Do you know why they put in the roundabouts in the first place? It had nothing to do with safety, speed, or the sorts.
There are also plenty of articles where those RABs are part of the reason someone crashed. They also have a raised lip and there are countless marks where someone hit it. It's just high enough to jack up your tire and rim. That stretch on foggy mornings can be pretty scary.

Imagine those on say, Gennessee

Old 04-24-2019, 09:21 AM

5,742 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Quote:
You should go to jail. It's risking countless lives and completely negligent and preventable

Last time I checked, a life is worth more than $710.
Go to jail just because of a simple speeding ticket? Ha! Ridiculous.

Thankfully the govt and CHP do not agree with you.

Please keep your Prius out of the left lane. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:50 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
So people are "selfish" according to some posts when they speed but apparently not selfish when they have a line of traffic behind them and are camped in the far left lane?

If we all went 65mph. We still have to contend with: stuff launching out of cars because folks overhaul things or are negligent tying stuff down, people on cellphones not paying attention, some driving under the influence of something, no turn signals, people stopping on the highway to get in a jammed packed lane, people not getting their vehicle up to speed when entering the highway, no turn signals but they want you to let them over or they just don't care to use them.

We should all do a refresher for drivers ed. It would be memorable/unforgettable because we'd all have to deal with the DMV.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:52 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
So people are "selfish" according to some posts when they speed but apparently not selfish when they have a line of traffic behind them and are camped in the far left lane?
That seems to be the gist of it
Hypocrites all of them imo
Get the hell over or else i'm going to ride your A$$ all the way down the freeway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego