Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:19 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times

Advertisements

^^It was probably me that you overheard complaining about the gloom. I'm always complaining when the sun isn't out.

Call me spoiled but I about lost it when it was cloudy last Saturday. How dare it be overcast during the weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,933 times
We're getting into the "June gloom/May gray/April???" now. Cloudy nights, mornings and evenings, clearing at about 11 a.m. til 5 p.m. or so--happens every year. I am always surprised at the number of people, no matter how long they've been here, who are baffled (and depressed) by the cloudiness--it's a normal part of "seaside desert" climate and is what makes SD weather so ideal--without the marine layer we'd be Phoenix or Tucson. I actually like an occasional overcast day. I've been in SD 17 years, though, and have noticed changes in the weather--much colder nights (still wearing a winter jacket at night in April), breezier days with more wind, and less rain--global climate changes are affecting us too.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
I am always surprised at the number of people, no matter how long they've been here, who are baffled (and depressed) by the cloudiness--it's a normal part of "seaside desert" climate and is what makes SD weather so ideal--without the marine layer we'd be Phoenix or Tucson.
Year after year, I dread the return of May Gray/June Gloom. It's always the talk of the office whenever the sun isn't out for more than 2 days in a row. I swear we are so spoiled here.

Thankfully, we haven't had too many gloomy days this year, but I know they are coming. Anyone else excited for the big warm up this weekend, with temps in the 80's and 90's again? I sure am!!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonwheel View Post
First of all, don't flame me b/c I love San Diego and the weather is quite nice compared to most places. I might even be moving back myself so please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to scare anyone from going to SD as it's a very nice place to live, however, I continue to read posts about people believing there is endless sunshine and warmth in San Diego which is simply not the case. A better description would be lots of sun mixed in with many foggy days and mild temperatures.

Have any of these newbies heard about the marine layer, the onshore flow, or June gloom? Fog, mist (or morning and early afternoon clouds are very common in SD the exception being when the Santa Ana winds are blowing or after a big storm when clear skies dominate. Cloudy (foggy) mornings are the usual as many days the fog and clouds don't burn off (clear up) until after 2pm or later. Some days the fog will then roll back in after a few hours.

I lived out there for about 3 years and yes the weather is quite nice BUT San Diego is notorious for being one of the more foggy and cloudy areas in SoCal. The exception is that the further you live inland from the ocean, the less clouds you will see.

I'm just trying to paint an accurate picture for some of the folks who don't know much about SD. It's a great place but the weather is just not sunny ALL the time. Look up the stats if you don't believe me.

Good luck to all!
After living in Seattle for 3 years San Diego will be like like a never ending sunny paradise! The 9+ months of cloudiness and drizzle here are intense! I'm sure I'll survive through a few days of "clouds" in San Diego

Old 04-24-2008, 03:58 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Year after year, I dread the return of May Gray/June Gloom. It's always the talk of the office whenever the sun isn't out for more than 2 days in a row. I swear we are so spoiled here.

Thankfully, we haven't had too many gloomy days this year, but I know they are coming. Anyone else excited for the big warm up this weekend, with temps in the 80's and 90's again? I sure am!!
Sorry, Urb, I LOVE the May Gray and June Gloom. I eagerly await it's arrival, and wish it would stay much longer than it does, because after the June Gloom, comes the July Fry, and I hate it! Without that wonderful marine layer, San Diego would be a miserable hell hole like the desert to our east are from April through October.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:08 PM

312 posts, read 1,519,725 times
o Godddddddddd,guys,San Diego has a P E R F E C T climate,understand that !

Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony from Europe View Post
o Godddddddddd,guys,San Diego has a P E R F E C T climate,understand that !
It is pretty damn good, but after you are here for a while you get used to it and then start complaining about the little things that one wouldn't have really minded before b/c it is so nice so often. The May Gray and June gloom can really suck though b/c it's so overcast compared to the rest of the year, but not cold at least. I feel bad for tourists who visit during those times and don't get the typical SD weather. I remember in June of 2003 the sun came out only 4 days that whole month for San Diego, that was a BAD June gloom; some years or worse than others, usually depends on the water temp.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Yes, and looking forward to putting the heavy jacket and scarf away and having windows open again at night

I like the "gloom"--a sure sign that yet another S.D. summer has arrived--the "Del Mar Fair" is not far behind

Old 04-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Sorry, Urb, I LOVE the May Gray and June Gloom. I eagerly await it's arrival, and wish it would stay much longer than it does, because after the June Gloom, comes the July Fry, and I hate it! Without that wonderful marine layer, San Diego would be a miserable hell hole like the desert to our east are from April through October.
You're definitely not alone because I know a few people who love the gloominess, as well. The neighbor across the street from me always complains that it is "too sunny" here. Have you ever heard of such a thing? She's originally from Columbus, OH.

I must admit that during the peak of summer, I find myself wishing for the gloom to come back because my house can't seem to cool down fast enough (no central A/C )

Old 04-25-2008, 01:18 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,827 times
Is there a rainy season in SD, or is that apart of the summer gloom months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego