Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 AM

7 posts, read 20,812 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 30 year old single female born and raised in MA. I have always considered moving to San Diego. From what I understand, the only draw back of living there is the cost of living. Is this more doable when living with a roomate in a 2 bedroom apartment?

Also, what hospitals in the area have a good new grad programs? I will be graduating with a ADN in a few weeks and have a bachelors in Marketing. I also wish to go on for my BSN or MSN.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 12:47 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,236 times
As far as cost of living, you need to give more info. What's your salary? Do you have a lot of debt? What are your requirements?

Old 05-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Default wow

the2ofus, thanks for all your kind words and help

Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 PM

Lookingtoleave

83-95,000/year
I guess I'm just not sure if it is worth moving to that area if it such a high cost of living. I figure I'm young and single and if I'm going to do it, I should probably do it now.

A search I found actually showed that rns in CA are the highest paid, but rank #44 in the country when you factor in COL. I hope the city isn't filled with people like the2ofus, or the hospitals out there

Are you leaving San Diego??

Old 05-04-2008, 07:37 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,617 times
You will do fine on that salary My sis is an er nurse, she makes well over 6 figures and has money to burn - - - gives to charities, zoo society, humane society, etc. . . She re-located from IND, loves it. .Good Luck

Old 05-04-2008, 07:55 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Check San Diego Craigslist for housing costs:

craigslist: san diego classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

It's probably the best online classified board you will ever see.

You can also check for available nursing jobs in their jobs section.

Don't even worry for a minute about being able to afford living here on your salary.

And definitely make the move. You will never regret it. San Diego is an AWESOME place to live.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 PM

Thanks RD
Will def start researching the hospitals in the area!!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM

85 posts, read 295,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The2ofUs View Post
Lynne...Don't be so LAZY!!! YOU really need to do YOUR homework!!!! As a up and coming new grad, you should have done a THOROUGH search of hospitals in the Sand Diego area ON YOUR OWN... YOU need to go online (theagapecenter.com) and review the hospitals, access their web sites, review their nursing pages and apply for a job. As a new grad, I wonder WHERE you are graduating from that you do not seem to HAVE A CLUE about hospitals, new grad programs, etc. I could understand if you located hospitals ON YOUR OWN, then came to this site for further insight about the hospital...but to ask...which hospitals have new grad program!!!??? Come on!!! I AM a new grad and I know the hospitals in every city that I have an interest....I have contacted the nurse recruiters...I have spoken to each recuriter at each hospital...I have applied online...I have been offered site visits (free travel from my city to their city...), I have researched the cost of living index (in comparison to where I live and where the hospital happens to be...). I now have 5 job offers at 5 different hospitals in 5 different cities/states and now have to decide which hospital I want to actually work at (based new grad program, cost of living index, opportunities for learning/advancement, relocation assistance, tuition loan repayment plans, ability to pursue advanced degree (BSN to Masters programs)...etc., etc.....Lynne...some things you HAVE to do ON YOUR OWN....
OK, captain crazy. When you accept an offer to work at a hospital please let us know at which one...cause I sure would not want to be sick under your care.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:22 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika>Kimi View Post
OK, captain crazy. When you accept an offer to work at a hospital please let us know at which one...cause I sure would not want to be sick under your care.
I second this.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 AM

Once again, You sound like a very fine person who I'm sure has gone into the nursing field for the right reasons i.e. for the caring aspect

You don't know my story, or what I have been doing the last 6 months -
so I would appreciate you didn't reply on this post anymore.

So much anger toward someone on blog, I'm thinking you may want explore options in another profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego