Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 06:34 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times

Advertisements

If you would be afraid of moving to Seattle because of earthquake risk that would make much more sense than San Diego as it has a much higher probability of a very strong damage inducing shaker than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 06:39 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I've been through one nasty one besides the Easter quake and that was late 80s. I remember looking out and the complex's pool had waves coming out. We had some wall damage in that one.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:05 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
We were enjoying our day in the patio at Jardines Restaurant, San Juan Bautista,CA on October 17, 1989, when the earthquake started shaking. It was shaking strongly. Most powerful earthquake we had ever been in. It was a shock to my wife & i. After it stopped, i ordered another pitcher of Strawberry Margaritas.
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jard..._vTInJHzhUCxUw

Old 06-21-2021, 10:03 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We were enjoying our day in the patio at Jardines Restaurant, San Juan Bautista,CA on October 17, 1989, when the earthquake started shaking. It was shaking strongly. Most powerful earthquake we had ever been in. It was a shock to my wife & i. After it stopped, i ordered another pitcher of Strawberry Margaritas.
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jard..._vTInJHzhUCxUw
Best remedy

Old 06-22-2021, 01:16 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I've lived here over 30+ years, and there have only been two earthquakes even worth mentioning. The Mexicali quake which we felt, but was too far away to do anything, and a very local earthquake back in the 80s(?).

Our local faults can't do much damage. I think seismologists say they top out at 5.0. That's enough to wake you up, but not enough for you to bother actually getting out of bed. In San Diego, it's like the opening scene from Independence Day where a sleeping Will Smith says to the young kid tugging his arm, "It's just an earthquake."
Yeah I’ve been here 40 years now and those are the only two worth remembering. The one in the late 80’s I had some baseball cards in cases fell off a shelf in my bedroom. That’s the only “damage” I’ve experienced from them. The Easter one about a decade ago seemed stronger, but that is probably because it’s more recent in my mind? I was at my bar that day and not a single bottle fell off a shelf.

Earthquakes in San Diego are an afterthought. Even in Los Angeles and San Francisco that had those memorable ones “recently” in ‘94 and ‘89, respectively, new building codes, along with retrofitting have come a long ways. I wouldn’t worry too much about them.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:18 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliard View Post
We're seriously considering relocating to San Diego. In our research, we've come across some disturbing information about the risk of earthquakes in San Diego (e.g., see: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-fault-danger).

Are the risks great enough to reconsider our relocation?

Thank you.
Yes, the risk is crazy high. Tell your friends. Have your friends, tell their friends.

Great first post, btw!

Old 06-24-2021, 12:09 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Don't fear earthquakes. Fear fire.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:08 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
59 year cali resident, my childhood was in san jose where they were more frequent.
Worst in SD was late 80s we had one late night near the coronado islands, (rose canyon fault) it was about a 6.1 IIRC. In east san diego on a second floor it knocked me off my feet.
We dont have a san andreas here but big ones happen regardless consider the strongest ever in the lower 48 was missouri around 1800.

With ANY known fault, a history of minor quakes is a good thing. Plates and faultlines are gonna move. Regular activity means tension or obstruction of movement isnt increasing.
A region with known faults and a history of regular seismic activity experiencing a long period of unusually quiet activity...

Well that is what would concern me.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:09 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
59 year cali resident, my childhood was in san jose where they were more frequent.
Worst in SD was late 80s we had one late night near the coronado islands, (rose canyon fault) it was about a 6.1 IIRC. In east san diego on a second floor it knocked me off my feet.
We dont have a san andreas here but big ones happen regardless consider the strongest ever in the lower 48 was missouri around 1800.

With ANY known fault, a history of minor quakes is a good thing. Plates and faultlines are gonna move. Regular activity means tension or obstruction of movement isnt increasing.
A region with known faults and a history of regular seismic activity experiencing a long period of unusually quiet activity...

Well that is what would concern me.
Yup, this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego