Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:53 PM

97 posts, read 646,841 times

Advertisements

do any of you ever think about the possibility that Los Angeles will be leveled by a big earthquake.Is Southern Cali more at risk than San Francisco? I wonder if its only a matter of time before Los Angeles is flattened by a quake because of the many fault lines.Would like to hear your thoughts on earthquake risk and how you deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 04:14 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,139,885 times
Well, what sounds like a simple question is really complex. L.A. is so sprawling, it depends how you define L.A. In general, would the entire LA Basin from the coast to the IE be leveled? Not likely.

The worst case scenario for LA, and the most people simultaneously, would be a quake on the southern segment of the San Andreas fault. This would produce strong shaking over all of the area, shaking which would be powerful enough to damage infrastructure and buildings not up to code, in addition to liquafication. Fortunately, these large quakes occur on the order of once every 300 years. Unfortunately, the southern portion of this fault is overdue for a large quake.

What is much more common are quakes on local, shorter faults, which are destructive in certain valleys, communites and neighborhoods. Think Northridge, Whittier, Landers etc. These quakes were powerful and damaging, but they were somewhat localized. Most quakes in Southern California are of this nature, spotty and spread about. The threat is very real none the less.

Is LA more at a risk than SF? I would say the odds are equal, both regions are overdue for strong shaking. People's memories tend to be short, and over the last few years, SoCal has made more headlines for quakes....so people might be predisposed to saying LA is more at risk.

In general, most of California is at a high to moderate risk. The areas with the highest probabilities for strong shaking in one's lifetime are the Imperial Valley, Coachella Valley, the Inland Empire, San Fernando Valley, the San Gabriel Mountains, Central CA along the San Andreas Fault zone to the Bay Area and north along the coast.

Other areas are at risk, but not as extreme. Honestly, many people are not aware of the risks and dangers, since felt earthquakes are somewhat infrequent, and damaging quakes are much less common.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:22 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,497,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
do any of you ever think about the possibility that Los Angeles will be leveled by a big earthquake.Is Southern Cali more at risk than San Francisco? I wonder if its only a matter of time before Los Angeles is flattened by a quake because of the many fault lines.Would like to hear your thoughts on earthquake risk and how you deal with it.
Someday it will be here, I'ts only a matter of time.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:50 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,206,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
I don't understand your question? Are you a scientist of some kind, otherwise, I believe most people know if they move here that this is earthquake country but chose to move here anyway regardless of the risks and have a general knowledge on how to be safe and supplies to have on hand, otherwise, there is no other way to "deal with it", is there?

Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 PM

38,909 posts, read 22,900,003 times
Default Living in Earthquake Country

Just realize that the very real possibility of having a large earthquake can come at any time---it's all part of choosing to live in Earthquake Country. The best thing to do is ALWAYS be prepared! Living day to day dreading if today will be THE day is a waste of energy and counterproductive.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:57 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,019,269 times
I think we're due for a good shaker soon. It's been over 10 years since the Northridge earthquake. Like Dennispat said, be prepared, because we have no warnings. Stock up on some water, canned goods, candles, matches, beer and cat food, and you'll be just fine!!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
The risk of earthquakes is always on my mind. That's one reason (of many!) I'm hoping to move out of California in the next two or three years. I know it's a silly thing to worry about, but that's me.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:33 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
I don't know of anyone who LIKES earthquakes!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:49 PM

989 posts, read 5,926,443 times
I'm saving up my money to purchase many many houses/apts after LA get leveled!

Old 02-25-2007, 02:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,089,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
I'm saving up my money to purchase many many houses/apts after LA get leveled!

I hope you enjoy fixing them all up

I worry much more about hurricanes in FL than earthquakes in CA. Big quakes as one guy said happen once every 300 years on average. Medium quakes like once every 50 years and small quakes once every few years. Anyone living in CA ever feel one and describe it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles