Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 08:30 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Oh no! Right before "FREE FISHING DAY!" (Yes, Saturday Sep. 04, 2021 is a "no license needed day" for fishing.) You'll still need to abide by all the rules & regs, but no license needed, that day.)

As you say, watch Newsome close the ocean again...
Just went up and checked game cams. It seems these guys can handle anything local and even they wonder why the closure order.

https://mtlaguna.org/our-cabins/mt-l...re-department/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 10:09 AM

3,350 posts, read 2,317,756 times
I am pretty surprised wide open nature or no mans land can be "closed" or anything that is not in an enclosure and/or require admission i.e(building, facilities walled or fenced in and controlled with doors and gates). Especially if you have state highways, towns, and people's property on it. I always thought for large swath of land or regions is considered declaration of a mandatory evacuation area or curfew. I.e beach curfew. Though facilities ran by the National forest within the National forest i.e camp grounds can be taken out of commission and reservations cancelled.

I be curious how the order applies to native american tribes in those areas. As well as those who have property on there.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I am pretty surprised wide open nature or no mans land can be "closed" or anything that is not in an enclosure and/or require admission i.e(building, facilities walled or fenced in and controlled with doors and gates). Especially if you have state highways, towns, and people's property on it. I always thought for large swath of land or regions is considered declaration of a mandatory evacuation area or curfew. I.e beach curfew. Though facilities ran by the National forest within the National forest i.e camp grounds can be taken out of commission and reservations cancelled.

I be curious how the order applies to native american tribes in those areas. As well as those who have property on there.
There are thousands of people that live in these areas and they issue keys to the gates for the chosen few. So, they basically treat it like one big private property for these folks. In the more populated areas they post up a "guard" so to speak to check DLs for addresses like a checkpoint to keep regular serfs out.

Old 09-02-2021, 01:22 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,317,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There are thousands of people that live in these areas and they issue keys to the gates for the chosen few. So, they basically treat it like one big private property for these folks. In the more populated areas they post up a "guard" so to speak to check DLs for addresses like a checkpoint to keep regular serfs out.
Though do they block the state highways or Interstates that go through these areas? As for some who live beyond the forest the roads are the only ways to get though?

I bet "surfers" (this term being controversial in a social term) Would love it if only residents are only allowed in their favorite surf spots as I heard they frown upon surf spots being crowded by those with rental boards or just from somewhere else.

I was surprised though hearing they actually closed Borrego springs or Ocotillo wells last year as those are countless miles of wide open lands with absolutely no fences, gates, and highways running through them. Not to mention plenty of social distancing. Maybe closing the visitor center and campsites but wide open spaces?

Its true that it appears everything the light touches is literally just one big private property these days. School yards in my area are completely blocked by one large fence during summer vacation with signs saying private property on it.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:36 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,274,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
This has been happening annually in some form for about 5 years. People forget but there were huge fires in CO, WA and British Columbia starting around 2014. I have had to cancel many trips due to these mega-fires. I think you guys are overestimating the staffing levels of the NF system. It is really very minimal. They pull fire resources from all over the state to deal with these mega fires, so you end up with areas that have essentially no fire service.
Exactly this! Too many firefighting resources are concentrated in specific areas, and if another fire breaks out here, we are screwed. Luckily, the Caldor Fire is getting more containment, and we were told these forests shutdowns are only for a couple of weeks. Once that fire is under control, they can divert resources back down here. We can only handle so many enormous Fires at a time. Why everybody makes everything political, I have no idea.

Last edited by tstieber; 09-06-2021 at 10:48 AM..

Old 09-06-2021, 11:39 AM

7,177 posts, read 4,572,264 times
My son’s friend works for the forestry department and is being pulled off his job to drive supplies to firefighters. They work 14 days on sleeping on cots and then get 2 weeks off. If they need to pull regular 8-5 staff for this then they are don’t have enough staff to leave the parks open. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My son’s friend works for the forestry department and is being pulled off his job to drive supplies to firefighters. They work 14 days on sleeping on cots and then get 2 weeks off. If they need to pull regular 8-5 staff for this then they are don’t have enough staff to leave the parks open. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.
So why is BLM and other areas still open and staffed? Why is this so hard to understand? 15 million acres of land and a bunch of it is forest. Please explain? How does BLM stay open when? We need a genius to explain, so let's have one.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:19 AM

7,177 posts, read 4,572,264 times
I now understand why you chose your username. Enjoy arguing with yourself.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I now understand why you chose your username. Enjoy arguing with yourself.
Thanks for the explanation of blm land being open while the adjacent California national forest is closed. They are literally one and the same.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:27 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,497,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So why is BLM and other areas still open and staffed? Why is this so hard to understand? 15 million acres of land and a bunch of it is forest. Please explain? How does BLM stay open when? We need a genius to explain, so let's have one.
Sure I can help. BLM is not the same as NF or NPS. BLM is essentially federally owned and banked land. There is typically minimal land use and it's managed by land managers. There are no rangers, no infrastructure to patrol or protect. No fire or public safety resources. Usually BLM land is the most undesirable land possible, with no commercial or recreational use. Think desert floor or areas that can't be accessed by vehicles. We go to some BLM spots in the Mojave to climb and they are trashed with broken glass, shell casings from decades back. If you have ever been to the Pit in Bishop or the wasteland playa north side of the highway in Joshua Tree, that is typical BLM land. No stewards, no one to clean it up, no toilets, no nothing.

NF is heavily managed land. NF manages land uses that includes all the productive uses including forestry, telecommunications, transportation, mining & extraction. So in the NF, you have a lot of commercial use going on at all times, that's why there are so many roads in NF, it's for commercial use. NF staff includes rangers, communications officers, fire, forestry, etc. Recreational use of NF is pretty small on the whole - most of the heavily used recreational areas are either NPS, State, or some sort of multi-agency juris (i.e. Whitney Zone). NF is part of USDA which manages agricultural commercial land use. NPS is devoted entirely to recreational use.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 09-07-2021 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego