Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

San Diego: job offer, good restaurants, things to do, enjoy the outdoors, good food, publishing

Old 08-01-2008, 07:36 AM

9 posts, read 15,513 times

Advertisements

*I posted this thread in the San Fran forum. I am reposting it here because we got a job offer in San Diego and most people have been directing me to SoCal vs. San Fran due to our lifestyle needs/wants. You all have been so helpful and I appreciate any info.

Hey all.

My boyfriend and myself are looking to make a move. We currently live in Fairfield County.

The lifestyle and the people have changed over the past 8 years, I think. We are tired of the cold people and as many people have said before, the rushing rushing rushing… everywhere! Everyone seems to subscribe to the me first law. I know there are people like this everywhere, but more then half of our friends have moved out to California and love it. We think this may be the change we need.

Here is some info about us. We are 24 years old and combined we make around 135K. We fell in love with Ithaca, NY when we lived there for school for the amount of things there was to do and for the over all vibe. (* For those of you who don't know ithaca it is a college town, surrounded by multiple gorges, and the finger lakes. Wineries dot the lakes and there is plenty of good restaurants and things to do). We want to find a place that we can enjoy the outdoors and always find something to do. We love good food. Right now we live comfortably in the suburbs of Connecticut, right out side NYC (Fairfield County). The cost of living is very high. On that combined salary, would we live comfortable in San Diego or in the area?

The job market is horrible everywhere. Are you all finding that it is as severely depressed as it is other major cities? My boyfriend is in Information Assurance / Security (IT) and I am in publishing. From what I am reading, he should have no problem finding an IT , but I would have a harder time with publishing. Is that true?

And the weather…..? not a lot has been written about the weather on these boards. I’ve looked up the nation temp averages per month. But is it generally humid? Seasons?

Again, I am truly appreciative for any information. If any of you have suggests of other locations to look at that would be helpful as well

Be well and my best,

Niki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 04:16 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
What kind of publishing do you work in? The LA area has many, many music publishers.

As for weather, it is not humid here. Rarely a tropical storm will hit us from the south, which will bring some humidity, but nothing compared to a summer's day on the east coast. Regarding seasons, its warm in the summer and chilly in the winter. You will never really need anything heavier than a thin coat in most of California. However, there are some populated mountainous and desert areas that can get quite cold in the winter.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:33 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
You should do fine on $135k a year and since you're coming from a pretty expensive part of the northeast I don't think it will be any more expensive here if at all. Housing prices continue to come down so you could either buy or rent with that salary.

San Diego is "humid" compared to other parts of CA but not really humid compared to the east and midwest. Our dewpoints rarely go higher than the mid to upper 60's and when it gets really hot the humidity is usually low, heat indexes are rarely more than 2-4 degrees above the actual temperature. It's pretty much in the 60's to 70's along the coast year round and inland more 70's to 80's.

I grew up in the Bay Area but have been in SD for 7 years now, so if you want to know any differences or comparison feel free to ask. I love both areas but they do have a different vibe and scene but overall are both great places to live. Some prefer one over the other while others could be happy in either place. I'm a big beach and warm weather person so I choose to stay here but SD does lack some things the Bay Area has and vice versa.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:53 PM

9 posts, read 15,513 times
I have been in book publishing and currently in the magazines. I've done everything from being an editor to doing photo stuff - asset management, archives, photo editing, directing photo shoots. I am concerned that if we do make the move because of my boyfriends job offer that I will have a hard time finding something, I am not sure that my skill set is in high demand in the SD area. I might have to change industries or even go in a completely different direction.

Can you tell me about the vibe? the people? things to do? outdoor activities? restaurants? I know when i posted on the SF forum that everyone was all about the SF restaurants, how is it in SD?

I appreciate all your info, it is extremely helpful.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
San Diego has a very laid back, live and let live type vibe to it IMO. Just kind of a chill, go with the flow type thing. The Bay Area is a bit of a rat race compared to here; busier with more workaholics it seems but the suburbs tend to be a little more laid back and not too rushed like SF.

The people are pretty nice and friendly, more so than SF or LA imo. There are some SD stereotypes but most people are pretty laid back and easy going for the most part. There are transplants from every corner of the country it seems so you just will meet pretty much all types. The people here aren't any better or worse than the Bay Area to me, some feel otherwise but I feel there are good and bad in both places so it comes out about equal to me.

Most of the things to do in San Diego revolve around being outside for the most part. Plenty of street fairs and festivals year round. Lots of sports and outdoor recreation type things. We have theaters, museums, and cultural institutions as well but nothing world class really, except for our zoo. If you like being outside SD is a great place, if you're an indoors type person then I would not recommend this city. Except for ice hockey pretty much any outdoor activity can be enjoyed here. You got beaches, mountains, deserts, lakes, etc..... Lots of adult sports leagues and people always outside doing things; running, biking, roller blading, volleyball, etc... Surfing is big and ski resorts are about 2.5 hours away.

I think the restaurant scene is average. There are plenty of good restaurants to choose from but not quite on par with the Bay Area. People here aren't obsessed with the best restaurants and all that stuff like SF.

SD is just very nice, pleasant, and laid back to me and for some it can be a little too pleasant and laid back. Crime rate is really low and not too many bad things happen here. Some prefer more energetic places like SF but with that comes a more stressful lifestyle I think, plus expensive in the bay area compared to here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego