Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move to San Diego in 2021?
Yes 39 29.55%
No, I'd like to but I couldn't afford it 31 23.48%
No, I'd like to and can afford it, but it's not worth it 22 16.67%
No, I don't want to live in San Diego 40 30.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 07:31 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times

Advertisements

All things being equal, if you had the opportunity to move to SD today, would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 01:05 AM

6,508 posts, read 7,545,217 times
I went with No, I'd like to but I couldn't afford it. With home prices the way they are in 2021, it would not make sense for my family at our current income level to move here from out of state.

But, for as much crap as California gets in 2021, San Diego is still the best major city in California and better than any major city in lower COL states such as Texas, Arizona and Florida.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:31 AM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times
I'd love to or at least rent there for 2-4 yrs amongst some other places to see which location I really liked before actually buying a home in my favorite place.

I love San Diego. I spend the day there about 2-5 times a year & have spent a few days there too. There's enough to do, the weather's cool & fabulous, I've always felt safe there, etc.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:59 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,808,128 times
Im a homeowner with a good career wife works too so we are busy and we have a family with school aged children.

No. I do not enjoy the amenities enough to justify the cost of living. Neither does my family. We don’t have time to get outdoors as much for beach, hike, etc.

The weather in most areas of the country doesn’t bother me. I actually like seasons.

And I wouldn’t want to buy a home in SD with these current market conditions.

I’m Turned off by taxes and politics here. I’ll leave at that.

And I could make the same or more in better COL areas.

Having said that we aren’t moving anytime soon. I’m 40 I’ll retire at probably 63 and I have about a 5% chance that I will remain in SD when I hit the retire age.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:02 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
All things being equal, if you had the opportunity to move to SD today, would you?
I live here now, but if I had never lived here before, I wouldn't move here. Other places where your money goes further and you can be just as happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
No. I do not enjoy the amenities enough to justify the cost of living. Neither does my family. We don’t have time to get outdoors as much for beach, hike, etc.

This is important. So many people I know live here and don't take advantage. If you don't surf or hike, what's the point. Honestly the hiking sucks, dead, brown and dry. Very few hikes have water features. You can find better hiking elsewhere. I surf weekly, so I do take advantage.

If you like to party, SD is great. If you have kids your life revolves around them, so why not live somewhere else where you can provide a better life for them, with better schools?

The "It's always sunny" argument is overplayed. That's not great when you're trying to grow plants and a lawn and when you're constantly getting bitched at about conserving water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I’m Turned off by taxes and politics here. I’ll leave at that.
Same

Old 07-08-2021, 12:25 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Yes except jobs in my field pay at least 20% less down there. Wish I never left.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:26 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,458,022 times
If I *couldn't* live in San Diego, I wouldn't live in California.

To the question in the thread title, all things equal (i.e. same proportional income to housing cost, etc.), I'd move here. Why not? It's a great place to live.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:56 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
If I *couldn't* live in San Diego, I wouldn't live in California.

I agree with this. It's the LAST place in California I'm willing to live (Ok maybe Orange County is still ok too)

Old 07-08-2021, 04:02 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
I'm in the "can afford it but it's not worth it" camp. I do take advantage of what the CA has to offer, maybe not SD county as much but I rock climb, ski and do some spring mountaineering so there is plenty of that here > inland empire > eastern sierra. However I don't actually take much advantage of amenities in San Diego, i.e. I surf a few times a year in summer but not a hardcore surfer. I agree the hiking is terrible, hot dry and nasty, but I just use it as a means to an end which is access to climbing which can happen all winter. The restaurant / bar / downtown scene I could care less about. I hate going to LA and am not enchanted by SF after 20+ trips there on business. I generally feel like I am just working too much to really enjoy a "laid back" lifestyle and I am too tired by the weekend to drive 6+ hours to Bishop on a friday night anymore.

My kids definitely take advantage of the lifestyle and we have a great community around club soccer here which goes year-round.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:07 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,558,468 times
With me and the wife's current salary we could afford it, and probably would buy, even with these prices. Love California but will leave when its time to retire.
Ive never seen so may people complain but yet they are still here

Looks like the mass exodus from Califorina is a hoax, fake news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqugwHggaNg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego