Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,973,311 times

Advertisements

When I was compiling data trying to narrow down my top places to retire, I noticed that Miami is terrible on pedestrian/bike trails. It got crossed off my list for that (recreational) reason. San Diego is currently #2 on my list. It has a plethora of off road biking amenties/trails. Actually Tampa/St. Pete ranked above Miami on my list (it made the top 10) due in large part to the Pinellas Trail and Suncoast Pkwy Trail. But it didn't make the top 5 because I was afraid if I went kayaking I might run into a gator or two. Anyway, long story short, as far as overall recreation, my personal analysis showed that San Diego easily beat Miami.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,700,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Is there anyplace within a days drive or train ride for snowboarding ?
Big Bear is about 2.5 hours away and there are several ski resorts in the San Bernardino Mountains. The ski resorts are okay, kind of small compared to what you'd find in the Lake Tahoe area or Mammoth Mountain, which is about 7-9 hour drive away.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:04 PM

102 posts, read 309,883 times
If you love Florida, Miami and all the sweating, mosquitos and all the sun damage at the beach all the time then go for it and be a Floridian. Most of California is too expensive for someone who doesn't care to live there that much. California seems to have more to do besides beaches but that is my opioion.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,386,309 times
If you can afford to live anywhere on Miami Beach, Surfside, Bal Harbour...the island, do it. It's so nice, once you get on the mainland part of Miami, it's another story.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 PM

546 posts, read 2,149,390 times
Sounds like the op has made up his mind on San Diego and although I visit San Diego alot and reside in South Florida, the pros/cons of both places makes it hard to decide one over the other.

If you could only combine the warm winters/blue waters/world-class nightlife/gorgeous women of South Florida with the great weather/low humidity/mountains/great scenery of San Diego that would be an awesome place. Did I just describe the Southern Coast of France?!

In my case, I live in South Florida and visit San Diego once every couple of years to decompress and relax and take in the mountains and views.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 PM

669 posts, read 1,613,573 times
Default Easy decision for me....

Having close friends in South FL I get to make it out there 2x a year to visit. However, they are looking to come out there to live and they gave a full round of reasons why....
SD area by far gives you a better overall shot and here's why:

1. Job market in SD, allthough doing down, is far better than South FL

2. Crime; South florida is one of the highest crime spots in the US - SD is very quiet in comparison

3. Traffic: South Florida it's pretty much one way north and south. SD has one of the lowest traffic scenes for all major metros

4. LA/OC are only an hour or so away. Vegas is a close drive and SF is a 45 minute flight.

5. Fl is ALL beaches; SoCal you get a little variety (mountains, snow, forests, deserts etc

6. We're both equally diverse- just different ethnic groups.

7. Every time I go to South FL - it seems like 2 big groups. Your older rich anglo american and your poor minorities. In FL, while naturally beautiful, having multimillion dollar homes a block away from a crack house just doesn't resonate with residents. Again, another reason for the high crime.

I love visiting FL, but to live - no way, especially now with a Family it's not even a close decision.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 AM

546 posts, read 2,149,390 times
As a resident of South Florida, I disagree with #3 and #7. San diego's traffic is just as bad as South Florida's, and South florida as I-75, the Turnpike, I-95, and the 826 as major highways to get from North to South.

South Florida also has a thriving middle class and while there are rich people and poor minorites down here, that can be said for San Diego too. Maybe you're thinking about San Diego, but the rich here are from all over Latin America (Central and South America) and not just Anglos.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,142,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Is there anyplace within a days drive or train ride for snowboarding ?
Big bear is a day trip for skiing.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:37 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
Sounds like the op has made up his mind on San Diego and although I visit San Diego alot and reside in South Florida, the pros/cons of both places makes it hard to decide one over the other.

If you could only combine the warm winters/blue waters/world-class nightlife/gorgeous women of South Florida with the great weather/low humidity/mountains/great scenery of San Diego that would be an awesome place. Did I just describe the Southern Coast of France?!

In my case, I live in South Florida and visit San Diego once every couple of years to decompress and relax and take in the mountains and views.
I have to admit the night life is better in South Florida. San Diego's night life isn't a slouch but it isn't world class yet.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,514,277 times
I was born in Long Beach, CA
Raised outside Miami, FL.
Live in SoCal now.
After living in both for long periods, they are both very much the same IMO.

Whoever said SoCal is more diverse than SoFla is very wrong. South Florida has a much larger European and Latin American population, as well as Black people from all over the place.

While SoCal has Asian and Mexican..and of course White.

Also like someone has already mentioned SoFla has a much larger middle class and the rich come from all over the place, many rich are hispanic unlike California, where majority of the rich are white or asian.

I think the decision of SoFla vs SoCal comes down to 2 things:

cost vs what kind of outdoor activities you like.

1) If you like the beach, tan bodies, you can stand the humidity, like more of a Euro/Latin influence.
Then Florida is probably better for you and you will pay less.
2) If you like some beach but also Mountains, hiking, mountain biking, camping, can stand the cold, like more of an Asian/Mexican influence. Then California is way better than FL and you will definitely pay a lot more for it.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-13-2009 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego