Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 04:11 PM

108 posts, read 386,160 times

Advertisements

so you mean to tell me you guys think the only solution is to adapt..
i think a better infastructure would be a more reasonable solution...extend the rails out..attempt to set up more grid like streets so there are more options than just taking the interstates, we really need to work on more west-east roads...

oh and i always thought a rant was a way to vent and possibly connect with others that feel the same way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 04:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
San Diego's topography makes a grid system very difficult in many areas. Plus the roads are the way they are already, you're not going to rip out the existing roads and all the development along them and just "re work" the entire infrastructure system. What you are proposing is not reasonable by any means in both terms of costs and actually being able to construct it. Please look at am aerial map of the area you are complaining about and show me where you can just add in some more streets.

They are going to extend the Trolley up to UTC but it still probably won't be faster than driving. Part of the problem is the lay of the land and development patterns in SD, they are that conducive to just running rails anywhere.

If you want options then why not trying to take an alternate way, such as getting off at La Jolla Village and either going up Regents to Genesee or taking LJ Village/Torrey Pines to Genesse depending on which side of the 5 you work on. Or take the 805 and get off at LJ Village.

Ranting is a way to vent and connect with those that share the same feelings but not everyone is going to share the same feelings and that is what you are reading. You just gotta learn to deal with it b/c complaining about it doesn't really do a whole lot besides let off steam.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:19 PM

108 posts, read 386,160 times
complaining does do something, it creates brainstorming by trying to find solutions...such as a couple of the ones you have given me
and i was implying that we rip out all the roads...i was just suggesting an idea

Old 01-30-2009, 05:47 PM

239 posts, read 723,634 times
Another idea is to move closer to your job. Would that be feasible?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:55 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
You do realize that both the city and state are broke, right? So don't expect too many light rails, or streets, or hovercrafts to be built anytime soon.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:47 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
complaining does do something, it creates brainstorming by trying to find solutions...such as a couple of the ones you have given me
and i was implying that we rip out all the roads...i was just suggesting an idea
San Diego has the same problem every other City where millions want to live has. The infrastructure will never be ahead of the population. Never.

Be glad it's not like Atlanta.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 01-30-2009 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 07:40 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Default County Wide Grid System Would Have Been Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
so you mean to tell me you guys think the only solution is to adapt..
i think a better infastructure would be a more reasonable solution...extend the rails out..attempt to set up more grid like streets so there are more options than just taking the interstates, we really need to work on more west-east roads...

oh and i always thought a rant was a way to vent and possibly connect with others that feel the same way
THANK YOU!I don't understand why none of the cities in the county have an extensive grid system,maybe El Cajon but that's it.It is so easy to get around and even program lights to get green on an approach creating "green waves".But I didn't and can't design streets in the county but if I did/could,straight streets with minimum curves and turns would be my idea.Simple way to drive across miles of land without using a freeway.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:49 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Except for the hills,water, canyons, demographic challenges, military bases and such that would make complete sense.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I agree a grid system is a much better and more efficient way to lay out streets but that is pre 1950's planning, pretty much most of what was built/planned after that were huge arterial roads with a bunch of disconnected feeder roads, cul de sacs, huge blocks, etc... Generally area's built or planned before 1950/60 have a grid system like Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Downtown Oceanside, Downtown La Jolla, etc... And since most of the county was built after 1950's by developers it's mostly those curvlinear, non connecting type arterials/roads. That's is why I think LA is a relatively easy city to navigate b/c it's a huge grid, some streets are 40 miles long straight down. That area around UTC is pretty crappy, there are only so many roads to take and they all get jammed, especially Genesee.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:04 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I've been commuting from the city to Sorrento Mesa for 10 years. The traffic has gotten worse every year. You either adapt... or you move. It's life in the big city. Relax and cope. Leave earlier. You'll enjoy life more, and you'll be safer to yourself and those driving around you.

The people who rush, speed, tailgate... are anti-social jerks, mostly. You can kill someone or at minimum wreck their vehicle with that kind of behavior. Is it worth it?
Must be somebody new to San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego