Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 AM

20 posts, read 62,308 times

Advertisements

Has the 2008 alcohol ban has been overturned? What's the status of this ? I couldn't find anything up-to-date on google
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBallerz View Post
Has the 2008 alcohol ban has been overturned? What's the status of this ? I couldn't find anything up-to-date on google
The ban is in full effect.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The ban is in full effect.
The business owners didn't vote to have it uplifted?? Any possible changes in the future?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:11 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
The business owners didn't vote to have it uplifted?? Any possible changes in the future?
The city's residents voted to ban in an election. It is city law. It could be overturned in a later election.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The city's residents voted to ban in an election. It is city law. It could be overturned in a later election.

It would be a good way to move the city's economy with tourism in these times...

Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,930 times
Quote:
Not very likely. It's sad too because the beaches are public property and with almost 100 miles of beaches in and around San Diego I have to believe there is room enough for everyone. Why not have some beaches which are family friendly and other beaches which are adult orientated where adult beverages are allowed? The blanket ban was really being funded and pushed by a coalition of Christian Evangelical groups who oppose all use of alcohol and wealthy property owners on the beach who want to keep as many people out of "their" area as possible. I also recall that several of the owners of bars near beaches also gave money to the ban thinking that people would be forced to go to their bars instead of having their own coolers on the beach.

It really is a crime by special interests to undermine the rights of normal citizens.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Not very likely. It's sad too because the beaches are public property and with almost 100 miles of beaches in and around San Diego I have to believe there is room enough for everyone. Why not have some beaches which are family friendly and other beaches which are adult orientated where adult beverages are allowed? The blanket ban was really being funded and pushed by a coalition of Christian Evangelical groups who oppose all use of alcohol and wealthy property owners on the beach who want to keep as many people out of "their" area as possible. I also recall that several of the owners of bars near beaches also gave money to the ban thinking that people would be forced to go to their bars instead of having their own coolers on the beach.

It really is a crime by special interests to undermine the rights of normal citizens.
This issue was heavily discussed at City-Data in multiple threads before the November election.

Although you may feel it was only small specific groups (Evangelicals, Special Interests, Wealthy) which supported the alcohol ban, you are wrong.

It was supported by more than half the city.

The one year temporary ban gave everyone an entire summer to see what the beaches were like without alcohol ... and the majority of San Diegans liked the result.

That is why Prop D passed.

We noticed that the beaches were significantly nicer, cleaner, and safer without the presence of Alcohol.

The San Diego Lifeguards and Police also supported the ban, as it allowed them to focus on more important issues, and not have to spend time dealing with drunks, and breaking up beach fights. Lifeguards can now focus their time on watching the ocean, and not have to worry about drunks causing problems on the beach.

I go to Mission Beach and Pacific Beach very often (3 - 5 times a week), and this past year has been the nicest year by far. Gone are the extremely loud, overcrowded beach "frat" parties, public urination, drunks getting into fights, and drunks bothering people on the beach and boardwalk. I've even noticed a reduction in the number of "homeless" people that usually hang out at these beaches.

This past year was like "night and day" compared to previous years.

With the results we have seen so far, I have a feeling the ban will remain in effect permanently.

Last edited by RD5050; 02-06-2009 at 08:55 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,930 times
It got the vote of half the city but almost all the money for those flashy tv ads came from a few well heeled sources. That's a huge distinction especially given the low information nature of our electorate.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:51 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,005,641 times
I liked how they hid a City wide ban behind the word "beach". Typical politics.

Welcome to Utah West!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: