Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:50 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times

Advertisements

Ever since there was a special election 5-6 years ago to remove Governor Gray Davis it seems like all the special interest groups in the state have figured out how to use the ballot initiative process to force state wide special elections even when it isn't an election year. It's looking like the state wide special election scheduled for this May will be the largest one yet so how will you be voting?

Some of the items on this year's special election are:

Proposition 1A: Limits future state spending and requires a larger reserve fund. Extends tax increases for an additional two years.

Proposition 1B: Allocates money to schools to compensate for past budget cuts.

Proposition 1C: Allows the state to borrow up to $5 billion from future lottery proceeds.

Proposition 1D: Allows voter-approved tobacco tax money that funds some children's health care and social services programs to be redirected.

Proposition 1E: Allows voter-approved money targeted for community mental health programs to be redirected.

Proposition 1F: Prohibits state elected officials from receiving pay raises when the state is running a deficit.

I have only just begun to look at these propositions and have yet to form an opinion about any of them. What do you folks think of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 04:57 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,406,148 times
From your description:

1B - No
1D - Yes
1E - Yes

The common thread among these votes is that they eliminate, or fail to reimpose in the case of 1B, some of the idiotic restrictions we gullible voters have voted into place that have limited the legislature's ability to spend money on the most pressing needs of the state. We've been suckered into voting for special interest ballot measures that permanently fund the pet projects of the initiative backers, whether it's Rob Reiner, the CTA, or whomever. And regardless of what new circumstances arise, this funding is locked into place.

Yes, I know the legislature are idiots too, but these previous ballot measures have contributed significantly to the mess we are in. We need to give the legislature the ability to move money around, and to cut spending in less critical areas when times are tough. I know, everyone will say, "But my area IS critical." Well, that's what we elect the legislature for, to make these kinds of decisions. The voters should stick to broader themed propositions, not micromanaging the state budget. Who here has ever read the state's budget?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:58 PM

I agree we should end the ear marked budget funds but that is hard to do when voters keep voting to increase spending but also to cut their own taxes a la prop 13. Spending requirements were pretty much a response to politicians continually cutting spending on items voters wanted.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:07 PM

341 posts, read 689,227 times
Default political blackmail

I think 1A is blackmail. Why can't they cut spending without extending the tax increases. If they can't cut spending without tax increases then we are in a world of hurt. Why is it our elected officials are saying you people do this and then we will do this? Don't they work for us. And 1F seems like a no brainer but I consider functioning on borrowed money like the state does a deficit so they should never get a raise if they can't budget without borrowed money. Not only do I think they should not get a raise but they should not get paid it they cannot reach a budget in a timely manner. IMO

Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
1a - no
1b - no
1c - no
1d - no
1e - no
1f - yes

http://www.ca.lp.org/voterguide_200905.shtml

Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 AM

Proposition 1A: Limits future state spending and requires a larger reserve fund. Extends tax increases for an additional two years.

-Yes. We need to balance the budget and that means the people always whining for tax cuts need to stuff it. Either we're realistic about this or we pretend there isn't a massive budget problem. We still have a massive budget deficit and yet Republicans want to cut taxes for the rich again.

Proposition 1B: Allocates money to schools to compensate for past budget cuts.

-Yes. Our schools have been getting screwed over for as far back as I can remember and that's a huge reason why they've struggled. Time to end this and mandate the spending so the politicians can no longer screw our kids over.

Proposition 1C: Allows the state to borrow up to $5 billion from future lottery proceeds.

-Yes. It's part of the budget compromise the governor and legislature worked out. We'll have an even larger whole in our budget without it.

Proposition 1D: Allows voter-approved tobacco tax money that funds some children's health care and social services programs to be redirected.

-No. The money was passed so that it could fund children's health care and anti-smoking campaigns. I understand the Governor wants the money in the general fund but tough this is more important.

Proposition 1E: Allows voter-approved money targeted for community mental health programs to be redirected.

-Same as above.

Proposition 1F: Prohibits state elected officials from receiving pay raises when the state is running a deficit.

-Really this is just populist nonsense. Pay for elected officials is what? Maybe 0.0001% of the budget? Also all this does is harm the few average Joes who actually beat the odds and got into office because the vast majority are already multimillionaires who don't really care what the pay for an elected official is. Personally, I want to make it easier for an average guy to serve the state not harder because they don't get paid enough for him to support his family.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:14 AM

Summary:

Yes
Yes
Yes
No
No
No

Old 04-02-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
I think 1A is blackmail. Why can't they cut spending without extending the tax increases.
You apparently don't understand what a political compromise is or how it works. The Republicans and Democrats rangled over the budget for months before finally approving this budget compromise which both cuts spending and does the responsible thing of delaying the tax cuts until after the state's budget crisis has passed.

If you vote against the compromise then the result will be no budget or simply a tax increase without the spending cuts. So choose your poison. The reality is around 60%-70% of the state's budget has been earmarked by voters and legally politicians can't cut them. That means only around 30% of the budget is discretionary and subject to cuts; if you don't like then tough because that's what California voters voted for.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
Enough tax increases already!! California is getting ridiculous with taxes. I mean this state has the 8 largest economy in the world, but yet we broker than broke, and can't pay the bills. What is wrong with state? We are always in some sort of financial crisis, and can never get the budget passed on time every year. Even with all these tax hikes, it's like it never enough, and barely has any effect especially long term, so what do get as tax payers? Even higher taxes. We are the most taxable state in the nation, but have the biggest deficit, it does not make sense. I'm a Democrat, but come on! The state employees including government workers like the Assembly members and other high ranking officials get payed way too much money, and it's not fair that the lower end of the spectrum of workers get laid off or are forced to take a pay cut, while the higher end, "Do nothing" officials are taking in everything without any sacrifices.

The majority of local cities taxes go towards pensions and exaggerated salaries. This is the problem! Stop with the excessive pay outs, and return the money to the people where it's needed the most, like libraries, street repair, city maintenance.

NO MORE TAX INCREASES!! Obama is trying to help us with the Fed tax cuts, but it's not going to have any effect on Californians, because of the other state tax hikes on the people in this state. Our money needs to go to the right places, but personally I feel it's being severely wasted on crap we don't know about. You can't trust government with your money, ever.

The low income are gonna get hit the hardest, as well as the middle class. This will not help recession matters, and I guarantee you, more small businesses will be out of business.

If worst comes to worst, tax the rich! They can afford it, us little people can't.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
You apparently don't understand what a political compromise is or how it works. The Republicans and Democrats rangled over the budget for months before finally approving this budget compromise which both cuts spending and does the responsible thing of delaying the tax cuts until after the state's budget crisis has passed.

If you vote against the compromise then the result will be no budget or simply a tax increase without the spending cuts. So choose your poison. The reality is around 60%-70% of the state's budget has been earmarked by voters and legally politicians can't cut them. That means only around 30% of the budget is discretionary and subject to cuts; if you don't like then tough because that's what California voters voted for.
I agree, we are going to have these tax increases anyways so might as well bite the bullet and extend two years if it means reigning in spending. Californians constantly complain about too much spending but don't want to vote in a spending cap. Amazing how people always complain but keep electing the same people and do not support any fundamental changes needed in how our state govt works. I'm voting yes on 1A but think it will fail and we'll just be stuck in the same stupid cycle this state puts itself through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego