Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 04:52 PM

93 posts, read 228,380 times

Advertisements

It seems to create some interesting discussion when people compare cities and geographical areas. I've heard it said that SD is as close to Hawaii you can get and still be on the mainland. Anybody want to weight in on that? Also, are SD and Honolulu really comparable in any way?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,696 times
SD doesn't even remotely resemble or feel like HI. HI is green through mostly tropical native landscape and huge rainfall; SD is a natural desert and the green is created by massive sprinkler networks and planted foilage. (Notice the state is turning off the freeway watering systems!)

In HI you can smell the plumeria and tropical flowers in the air, in SD you can smell and see the smog on most of the days that aren gray and overcast.

HI beaches are warm and blue and swimmably clean; SD beaches are often cold and greenish and in many areas moderately polluted and yucky.

HI beaches are filled with tourists in new bathing suits and usually clean clothes; places like Pacific Beach and OB in SD look poverty hangouts from the hood & Tijuana on any given weekend day.

Honolulu is an international wealthy tourist destination city; SD is a tourist destination for Arizonans looking for cheap hotel rooms on Hotel Circle wanting to spend a day or two at Sea World.

Oh but yes, SD has a great benign climate that is always between 50-70 degrees. Hawaii is usually hotter and humid and thus less desirable to some.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 PM

52 posts, read 230,820 times
Ive lived in both...I prefer SD. If you're caucasian the islands can be tough....no matter how friendly you are a lot of locals hate your guts. Weather is too humid, lots of cloudy rainy days...feels like you are far from home. SD all the way.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 PM
rjs

60 posts, read 218,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker32 View Post
Ive lived in both...I prefer SD. If you're caucasian the islands can be tough....no matter how friendly you are a lot of locals hate your guts. Weather is too humid, lots of cloudy rainy days...feels like you are far from home. SD all the way.
Seriously.??

Anyone else ever felt, or experienced this.??

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,851,994 times
I absolutely feel that way. I'm just a White guy from San Diego, but every minute I've ever spent in Hawaii, I've felt like the locals just wanted me to leave. Like I was an outsider invading their turf. That's why I prefer vacationing in Mexico, because they are more welcoming and appreciative of you being there to visit.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,744 times
I've lived in both, and both have their advantages. I do love the warm beaches and smell of plumeria in the air but it is hotter and more humid in Hawaii than I care for. Also, it can get boring because it's a small island in the middle of nowhere so many get tired of that, I hear it all the time from my friends who still live there. Where in San Diego, there is so much to do and you can actually drive to other states/destinations.

Hawaii has some very poor/ratty areas so I don't think the previous poster was fair to slam San Diego that way. There are some very wealthy and pristine areas of San Diego and some very nice areas that tourists come to such as Coronado and La Jolla from all over the world (not just AZ)! San Diego is loved and visited by many from all over the world. We are also not ALL desert, we have the coastal area, inland area, mountain area and then the desert. We also have natural green areas, there is green all around where we live right now in the mountains and valleys and it's ALL natural. I've seen ramshackle huts with rusted metal roofs in Hawaii, definate eyesores. I can't afford a million+ 1920's 800sf shack on Coronado because the realtors tell me people from all over the world have real estate here so lets compare apples to apples.

Try reading the local paper in Honolulu, it's written at an 8th grade level (or less). And yes, the locals aren't always friendly to caucasians. We've experienced this on Oahu and Kauai more than once. I was immediately accepted there because I'm "hapa haole" but not my husband.

That said, I still love visiting Hawaii. Love the beaches, love the food, love the smell in the air, love the big trees and trade winds, love the Aloha hospitality (from those that aren't racist), love the snorkeling and swimming with the turtles, love how beautiful and green the islands are.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:12 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,117 times
Dang Haoles go in and mess it up for the locals! Every place has it's share of antagonism toward outsiders.

The problem with Hawaii is the lack of variety. It gets small very quickly. At least in SD, you can get in the car and drive. Water skiing one day, snow skiing the next.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM

24 posts, read 121,317 times
I'm Asian and love both SD and Hawaii. Can't decide where I should move to when I retire. I know that the climate in HI fits my day better than SD. I haven't dealt closely with the locals so not sure how much rejection/resentment I may have to deal with.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,744 times
As an Asian, probably none. The climate in Hawaii is awesome for a retiree. It's a wonderful place to be if you are in shorts and a tank top all the time or in your swimsuit on the beach. But to be in professional clothes commuting in your car or walking to your office, not so fun.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 PM

34 posts, read 150,588 times
Default Locals in Hawaii

Some locals in Hawaii are not friendly to caucasian tourists unless they are taking their money. They can be rude, and somewhat aggresive in a territorial way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego