Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times

Advertisements

Yes, there isn't a huge amount of shopping, certainly not a mall like UTC or North County Faire, but there is a neighborhood supermarket, coffee shops, small locally owned restaurants (La Bastide Bistro is my favorite), some coffee shops, and other small locally owned businesses along with bank branches. Just enough to carry out your daily needs with in walking distance without having to much. For larger purchases you'll have to get in your car but I do like having corner markets, local shops & restaurants, and a coffee shop to go to in the morning. Again, no body but the locals really go to this places so you constantly meet your neighbors and you get to know a lot of the people who work there on a first name basis. I do like that feel a lot and think it is better then just being another face in the crowd.

If you're looking for the grand bizarre of Constantinople then this isn't it but if you're looking for a selection of local shops fitting local needs where you can walk to then this fits the bill nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 20,606 times
I'm a little suprised at the comments about Sabre Springs having no shopping. Exactly 2 miles up Sabre Springs Pkwy is Carmel Mountain Plaza and Carmel Mountain Ranch Town Center with everything you could possibly want.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Hi Soymabelen,

Trader Joes is coming to Scripps Ranch in the summer. This says it all. Oerdin hit the nail on head about the description of why SR over SS. Another thing I want to point out that, no one has, is that the SR public library is wonderful. It has a pond (great size) next to it with beautiful ducks and landscaping, and the feel of the library with a courtyard is charming.
Trader Joe is going into the strip mall at I-15 and Mira Mesa Blvd (near Chuckie Cheese). That's as close to Sabre Springs as it is to Scripps Ranch.

But I agree that Scripps Ranch looks much more like neighborhoods than Sabre Springs.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,414,906 times
I have lived in both areas and would take SS over Scripps any day just for the conveniences of shopping and restaurants.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Trader Joe is going into the strip mall at I-15 and Mira Mesa Blvd (near Chuckie Cheese). That's as close to Sabre Springs as it is to Scripps Ranch.

But I agree that Scripps Ranch looks much more like neighborhoods than Sabre Springs.
Okay, can you walk to it from SS? I can walk to it living in SR.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:19 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydinkydog View Post
I'm a little suprised at the comments about Sabre Springs having no shopping. Exactly 2 miles up Sabre Springs Pkwy is Carmel Mountain Plaza and Carmel Mountain Ranch Town Center with everything you could possibly want.
If you want to bring that up, then Mira Mesa is right up the alley. We're talking about neighborhoods here, not neighboring neighbhorhoods.

But I have to agree with you that Carmel Mountain Ranch neighorhood has one of the best shopping places north of 52 freeway.

Last edited by ubringliten; 04-30-2009 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Okay, can you walk to it from SS? I can walk to it living in SR.
I'm pretty sure you can. There's a pedestrian path next to I-15 that goes from Poway Road/Penasquitos Blvd at least as far as Mercy Road, and I'm pretty sure it continues on to Mira Mesa.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
There are 2 distinct portions of Scripps Ranch. The southern most older Scripps Ranch which has an excellent community feel and almost 0 shopping (nor do they really want any there). Then there is the new tract-laden congested Scripps Ranch along Scripps Poway.....I don't think you can classify the two as the same area.

If you are comparing new Scripps to Carmel Mountain(CMR)/Sabre Springs (few know where one area starts and the other ends, so I call them one area), I would pick CMR/Sabre Srpings. However, I like old Scripps the best out of all of these areas, but you pay alot more to live there and the houses usually need alot of work. Note that most people in Scripps shop in CMR/Sabre Springs, so the inference to no shopping in that area is confusing.

One thing to note about Scripps is that it is NOT in the Poway School District. This means that if you do not get into the excellent Scripps schools (they are sometimes impacted) your kids get shipped off to the overflow schools in the San Diego School District. Most likely, Mira Mesa schools. Not horrible, but not what you pay a premium for to live in Scripps. Something to think about.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:56 PM

239 posts, read 723,395 times
Thank you again to all that gave feedback. We finally made an offer and had it accepted on one of the Sabre Springs homes. The main reason was the ones in Scripps Ranch were short sales and we didn't want to deal with the longer time frames and the possibility of our children ending up outside the Scripps Ranch schools. We wanted to close timely and enroll our children in the schools, and have them settled as much as we could in our new home before back to school time. I feel good about our decision. The elementary school is two streets down our home so I can walk my youngest to school, although I will still have to deal with driving my oldest to the middle school in Poway this year and then to the high school in Rancho Penasquitos.

As far as shopping and the like, I think the Poway shopping areas are closer to this particular part of Sabre Springs than the Carmel Mountain area. I will definitely do some shopping also in Mira Mesa since it looks like that's the only nearby area where you can get ethnic groceries and we do like a variety of ethnic cuisine.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 PM

There's a Poway transit bus that travels on Poway Road/Penasquitos Blvd. Your high-schooler might be able to use that to get to and from high school.

Look for North Park Produce on Poway road. It's not a greengrocers (as I had thought). It's a rather large middle-eastern grocery. Pamir Restaurant (Afghan) used :-( to be on Poway road but now they've moved up to Temecula or Fallbrook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego