Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,984 times

Advertisements

cebu077, I find this thread fascinating. Having grown up in So Cal & finding everyone to be "not the marrying type", I moved just below Ohio. Now it seems I have the worst of both worlds - people out here indeed got married in their early 20's. The single leftovers are... wierd.

However, if I return to Cali to find someone my age, I guarantee you they are not looking for anything serious. Why would they want to settle down with me when they still want to party, and have the "cougar years" to look forward to??? I wish I would have grown up out here & moved to Cali after a divorce or something. But for now I'm in relationship limbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 05:33 PM

8 posts, read 12,623 times
Cebu> You seem like a very outgoing and outspoken person from your posts. If your in-person demeanor is anything like your online one, I suspect you'll do fine out here. That said, SD is NOT the best place for 28 - 35 year old singles. It's not terrible, but there are certainly far better cities for that lifestyle.

Someone mentioned San Francisco, but have you thought about Seattle? Having grown up in San Diego, moved up to Seattle for my mid to late 20s (25 to 28, inclusive), I can attest that Seattle is far more conducive to meeting career-minded folks in that age range. The down side is you have to deal with the weather. Seattle has some beautiful people, but it's not going to compare to SD in that department (thanks to our s. cal. superficial nature. at least more so than in the NW). I would trade a bit of looks for some consistent conversation every time I go out, and am glad the career forced me up there when it did. Moved back down to SD with my Fiance after 4 years up there.

FYI, similar salaries, probably more jobs, and no income tax up there.

newyorican3> SD downtown is small compared to NY or Chicago. Most of the downtown bars/clubs are in the Gaslamp area on 4th, 5th and 6th between Market and Broadway. If you're dead-set on being near downtown proper, I suggest looking for a place in East Village. I have a condo there and I can attest it is indeed full of yuppies with dogs in high rises (I have two of my own). The good side is there are many very good looking yuppies in the neighborhood.

These days, I prefer hanging out in the other, more low-key neighborhoods around downtown like hillcrest, North Park, South Park, and University Heights.

As for the m:f ratio, SD is pretty bad. There are a lot of very beautiful women out here, but they are FAR outnumbered by the single men on any given night about 4:1. Still, if you have the personality, you'll be fine.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,697 times
I love SD, I've lived here a year and a half, I'm 25 and I obsolutely love it! You'll make friends fast! I am moving Downtown by Seaport village in the Archstone Harborview, and I love the neighborhood. You can walk to the nightlife but you're far enough away from the hustle and bustle you don't feel worn down. I'm single (I actually moved her for a boyfriend who broke up with me 4 days after I got here) and I have a really refreshing group of girlfriends! Try out San Diego, you'll like it!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 PM

233 posts, read 885,870 times
I also suggest mmetup.com for anything particular you are interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego