Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,934 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm going to chime in here. Without generalizing about either American Blacks or those from the African Continent, let me state I believe some of us (American Blacks) do display a victimized mentality too much and it is something that is learned, let's unlearn it. However, trying the old ploy of depicting folks newly arrived from the African Continent as the "Good" Blacks is "Code" and just tends to hijack a conversation that needs to take place between the races and cultures. Yes there were injustices in the past and some that still perservere today. We don't need to forget about the past, but we do need to Lean Forward a whole lot more.
Now having said that, and lest we forget, the pirates terrorizing the Somali coast or the Heathens in the Sudan are not good or innocent. But it is true they are not resting on their laurels or crying in their beer over the hand that was dealt them; instead the Somalis have ingeniously created a terrorizing enterprise that is continuing to this day. They have and continue to hold many folks they believe have the most to lose hostage and blackmail any and everyone who is willing to pay. Unfortunately, some of these thugs have made both legal and illegal entry into this country and some are affiliating with other terrorist organizations. Not all who come here are of that ilk and don't jump to the conclusion I'm saying that, but the mindset of some coming from those countries are complex and I don't even pretend to understand all of their motivations nor do I believe we (Black Americans) need to totally emulate the passive attitude of some.
But, I am hopeful based on what is going on with many Black Americans who are taking control of their future and creating things such as private schools that cater to young people and putting a high value on business creation, education and training.
I see and hear what is going on with newly arrived Africans and they do have a fire and initiative. I've heard them say we are lazy or unmotivated. We as a people need to get back to that toughness, passion and ambition that many of our parents and grandparents had. We really need to reengage and push ourselves to go to school, get training, start a business. No excuses, less reliance on "Uncle" to solve our perceived or real problems; there are some great Historically Black Colleges as well as the State and Private Colleges and Universities that need to see more of us. As I said I am hopeful.
Okay that's my two cents - Mahalo for reading all the way to the end!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 664 times
Hello everyone,
I'm currently looking for a place to live. I am male, Ethiopian. No pets, no drug but drink occasionally. Pls let me know my ethio ppl if y'all know someone is in need of roommate. I prefer north park, city height or university hieght areas. Contact me via email, abiymes2006@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego