Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Jax

108 posts, read 639,064 times

Advertisements

Wow, Sdurbanite, you clearly didn't like Jax. Did you get down to St. Augustine, etc.? I've only been to downtown Jax once and wasn't too impressed with it, either. Probably most of my new friends here rarely go down there, either. It's not so bad here. Yeah, it's southern and all that, but it has movies, the beach, restaurants, great place to raise a family, etc. Tonight, a friend told me about a cool dance place through her church, too. Truth is, I love San Diego and miss it sometimes...it didn't get the name America's Finest City for nothing ...of course it's a prettier city with a million things to do...but it costs like over twice the amount to buy a house there than it does here, too. We recently bought a nice 2003 house in a great area (St. Johns) for $258k...impossible in San Diego...it would probably have cost at least $600k out there in a comparable neighborhood. If you didn't buy a house in SD in the late 90's or early 2000's, it's pretty tough to put roots down there if you're not a doctor, lawyer, CEO, etc. Sdurbanite, hopefully you're one of the lucky ones that did, and I can be envious of you! Sure, anyone can live in CA and can rent forever or be "house poor" strapped to a hefty mortgage out there, but hard to raise a family living like that. Getting married kinda changes things sometimes, y'know? I'd probably still be there if I were still single. FL2CA, have fun w/ your move. I lived there for about six years or so and, like I said, I love it out there. You will, too. It was a dream come true to move to CA, and I'm glad I did it. My only small request...please try not to be so harsh about Jax, everyone...it's my new home, and I don't want to feel bad about living here, whether or not you approve of the place.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:06 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Hey JAX,

Please don't take my comments personally. I hadn't visited this site for a long time and I thought it was ironic that there was a "JAX or SD" thread, when I just returned from there. My comments did seem to be a bit harsh after I read it again, and I'm sorry for that.

To answer you question, yes, I did visit St. Augustine and it was pretty interesting. It's probably a place I don't really need to see again - been there, done that, I guess. I also went to the San Marco neighborhood for lunch, meandered in Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, checked out the beaches from JAX beach all the way up to Atlantic Beach and ventured into downtown to see Jacksonville Landing. My guidebook said it was like Harborplace in Baltimore, and I found it to be anything but. I actually drove around the new St. Johns Town Center that is probably close to where you live. That looked to be a nice area.

You're totally right, since I don't have kids, it's easy for me to say to myself "I could never live here". My partner and I are fortunate to own a home here in a great neighborhood, and we both do "OK" by SD standards. So my life here is tough to beat.

I will say that the people in JAX seem to be alot nicer than here. It was strange to be out among strangers that actually tried to talk to you, or even smile when where you were walking by each other on the sidewalk. That's the "Southern" thing that I really admire.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Jax

Hey Sdurbanite! Thanks for your post! Sounds like you do have it made having a house in SD! I appreciate what you had to say. Sorry if I was too sensitive about the Jax comments. I'm pregnant (we're expecting our first child), so let's blame the pregnancy hormones on my sensitivity (even though I'm always too worried about what people think about where I live, etc., pregnant or not). I really like SoCal and SD and if cost weren't an issue, I'd probably try to talk my husband into moving back there. But for now...I'm in the land of sweet tea, humidity, Gators, and fishing. Enjoy SD for me!

Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM

5 posts, read 38,401 times
Default I vote for Jax

I am from Jax FL and have lived in Escondido CA for 10 years.
Seeing that you are from Arkansas leads me to believe you would feel more comfortable in the South. I do miss the Southern hospitality!!
There is a growth explosion in Jax (and St John's county directly south of Jax) but it is nearing the end. If you have to be on the beach then FL is great. I lived in Jax beach for a number of years and loved the area. There are some seedier spots but usu the locals are down to earth and friendly. I visit frequently so I think I am still current on things in the area. I am actually more well versed in Jax than in Ca.
If you love traffic, esp SUV's, then by all means, come to CA. The weather here can't be beat and I think that is the only thing you are paying for with the exception of a nosy, liberal gov't. If you ever have asperations to own your own plot of land, leave them behind in AR. Actually, Arkansas is on my list of places to check out to move to!! Maybe we can share info.
I just started reading your thread so if I can contribute more, I will.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 38,401 times
Default to Jax

do u live on 210? I heard they were making it its own name. I actually grew up on the east side of 95 down the dirt road right past the truck stop (Wilson). We have some land there still. My mom has been in negotiations with realtors but the developers are slacking off. I was just there last September and couldn't believe how much stuff is on our exit now!! It's hard to imagine but there was nothing but trees where all those houses are now. And we had to go to Mandarin for groceries. My mom thinks it cool that she can get a pizza delivered now!! Of course she still lives on the dirt road away from all the housing and strip malls so she has the best of both worlds I reckon.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:09 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Jacksonville is very run down in my opinion. The crime rate is much higher than San Diego too. Escondido is one of the worst parts of San Diego IMO, so I'm not suprised the guy who lives there doesn't like it. Put it this way- if you too 100 people at random and let them experience San Diego and Jacksonville, 99 out of 100 people would likely choose San Diego. Better weather, MUCH more to do, safer, prettier, better culture. Amelia Island is nice though.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,935 times
possibly true...but there are so many pretty places in driving distance to Jax, (savannah is one that i love) It is a more laid back place and the prices afford people to spend more.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Jax

Hey Green Acres! We live in Julington Creek Plantation, in St. John's County. We really love our neighborhood. I do take 210 to get to a school I sub at over there, though (Timberlin Creek Elementary). They even have a Starbucks over that way now. JakeDog, have you ever been to Jacksonville? I know, the statistics about the high crime are true, but the crime rate is high in localized areas. We are actually in a very safe, family-friendly area here in St. Johns (it's kinda like we're not living in Jacksonville, more like St. Johns or north St. Augustine, which is fine by me). I do have to say this...WAY more car theft in San Diego, than here. My husband and I have too many friends out there who were victims of that crime. Here's a crazy story for ya...a friend in the El Cajon area not only had her car stolen out of her garage, but it turned out that a prostitute was living in it. Yikes! I love CA, though, and hope to visit out that way this year. Until so...enjoy some Wahoo's and In-N-Out for me!

Old 05-12-2007, 08:42 AM

41 posts, read 371,608 times
90% of the violent crime is occuring in the northside. Julington Creek is REAL safe! I used to live north of y'all in Mandarin. Actually San Jose Blvd from JC all the way up downtown is a very nice area. The Bolles Academy area is fantastic take a drive through their sometime and look at the neighboorhoods...that's old school Jville right there. Have fun Jax...I gotta go pack now

Old 05-13-2007, 03:48 PM

16 posts, read 36,956 times
Sounds to me like you should check out the Amelia Island area. The beach is really, really good and low key. There is not a big party seen at all, and I believe it would be much less expensive than San Diego. From time to time I actually hear this comment from people it goes like this. "Man I can't believe how expensive Amelia is then someone says, whatever if you think this is expensive try San Diego". Sometimes they don't say San Diego specifically but I do hear the comment with San Diego as the comparison. I literally hear that same comment from time to time. So it's kind of ironic to me that you are one of the people actually torn between the 2 places I guess that's where the comment originated from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego