Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 07:42 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,539 times

Advertisements

I've worked in a few cities; Chicago, Tokyo, Columbus, New York

They all have different work 'ethics' (for lack of a better world)

In Chicago you had to be at the top of your game. You did your best work and spent a lot of off hours working on your skill set. You always knew that if you couldn't get the work done, there were 40 other people who would like a shot at your position.

In New York the pressure to be the best was the same, but you also had to watch your back because you could move up two different ways. Working your ass off, or making your competition look bad. In order to succeed, the best strategy was both.

In Tokyo you just had to work many many hours and show dedication. A dedicated person was never let go.

In Columbus, you need to be a team player. How hard you worked was not important, doing a good job would get you ahead, but was not nessisary to keep your job. Emphasis was on work / life balance and personal life priorities came first. You can coast of you want.

What is it like in San Diego?
especially compared to other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:48 AM

231 posts, read 640,001 times
I feel some negative vibes coming on this one. I def. feel the sector you are in for SD will be paramount in this discussion. I wouldn't imagine BioMed people being laidback for instance.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
It's hard to say, since so many people in San Diego come from elsewhere (other countries as well), but I have found the following to be generally true:

- business dress is very casual, sometimes almost too casual.
- there is a certain segment of the workforce which is in "work-to-live" mode and puts in fairly laid-back effort
- there is a certain segment of the workforce which is in workaholic mode
- business demeanor and communication tends to be very politically correct
- there is a certain level of "passive aggressive" competition, but little "in-your-face" competition
- most of the top-tier talent tends to come from elsewhere, somewhat rare to see natives at a high level

My experience has been that San Diego's business community is casual but not laid back, and the small nature of the community means you end up seeing a lot of the same people in your industry over and over again. Outside of a few industries, many of the truly driven people have to leave to find opportunities... it is easy to max out San Diego in a decade or so. At that point you often have to make a choice between your career and the SD lifestyle.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-27-2009 at 09:54 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
- most of the top-tier talent tends to come from elsewhere, somewhat rare to see natives at a high level.
I had forgotten about that. When I applied for my current job they were not interviewing any locals and wanted someone who came from outside Columbus. Chicago and New York were desirable.

Good thing to remember when I try to find a job out there.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:40 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,801,977 times
Quote:
It's hard to say, since so many people in San Diego come from elsewhere (other countries as well), but I have found the following to be generally true:

- business dress is very casual, sometimes almost too casual.
- there is a certain segment of the workforce which is in "work-to-live" mode and puts in fairly laid-back effort
- there is a certain segment of the workforce which is in workaholic mode
- business demeanor and communication tends to be very politically correct
- there is a certain level of "passive aggressive" competition, but little "in-your-face" competition
- most of the top-tier talent tends to come from elsewhere, somewhat rare to see natives at a high level

My experience has been that San Diego's business community is casual but not laid back, and the small nature of the community means you end up seeing a lot of the same people in your industry over and over again. Outside of a few industries, many of the truly driven people have to leave to find opportunities... it is easy to max out San Diego in a decade or so. At that point you often have to make a choice between your career and the SD lifestyle.
I think this is pretty close to what I'd say is the general vibe around here. I really notice a work-to-play mentality- not phased by career accolades or status but more concerned with making the money to play and survive here. Two positives I see here, generally people don't let their career define who and what they are- when they are done with work they are over it. I think you see more people here that develope their talents and focus on hobbies more so than other areas.

Attire here is VERY casual. I've lived in places where what you looked (unfairly and sometimes fairly) pretty much defined your work.

Also, there seems to be a larger number of people that take a risk here. You see quite a few start up businesses and people self-employed. This tells me there is a lot of the "if its going to be its up to me" attitude.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:26 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
I think it's going to depend on who you're working for. In larger venues, it may even depend on which project team you're working with.

Quote:
I think this is true all over. Companies bring in an 'outsider' to introduce changes in corporate culture, because it helps a bit in overcoming the inertia of the permanent workforce. For example, all of our top-tier talent is going back east, and we're getting replacements coming out here from back east.

Besides, it's rare to see a San Diego native! There aren't that many of 'em!

Old 10-27-2009, 05:41 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,135 times
I think people live here for a reason, so on the whole you have less people who are willing to work New York investment banker hours. Beyond that, I'd say the work level is about the same as most cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: