Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 PM

47 posts, read 118,925 times

Advertisements

For my third year in graduate studies for School Psychology, I can choose almost any place in the US. I currently reside in Princeton, New Jersey. I've lived in Las Vegas, Las Cruces, NM, and Boulder, CO, but I lived most of my life in Chicago and Indianapolis. I've decided that I want to move out to the West. Here are some of my characteristics:

* I want dry heat. I loved the weather in Las Vegas.

* I eat all organic vegetables (most here in Jersey come from Cali!) and buy dairy products from local farmers. I also would like to have my own garden.

* I am very laid back.

* I have no interest in TV, movies, music, sports,, or much of the typical US entertainment. I like meditation, relaxing, gardening, reading, swimming, etc.

* I suppose you could call me conservative. I follow all laws (speed limit too), though I am liberal in terms of accepting all people. I am not religious.

* I prefer good school districts since I will be working there.

What are your thoughts? Is San Diego the place for me? If not, do you have another recommendation? I considered San Francisco, but I'm concerned about the costs as well as the cold weather.

Thanks! (You may see me posting in many other city forums)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 06:42 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
If you could get a job here (schools are having lots of budget cuts in CA) then yes, from what you've said I think you'd very much like it here!!! Since you like dry heat (I do too!) I'd suggest looking at some of the more inland cities/communities.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,874 times
I responded on the Phx board. I am going to head to SD, so I can say for me it is better than Phx. I just have one more year in Phx before I can retire, so I am doing that first and hopefully, more jobs in education will be open next year.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the quick replies so far.

A major concern for me is access to local foods. I'm ok with it coming from upstate, but I want fresh, organic produce and dairy. One concern is that San Diego may not have enough farming around it to offer that?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
San Diego County has plenty of farmers' markets and you'll have no problem finding the food you're looking for. Housing costs are much, much higher here than what you're used to in the southwest.
When looking for districts to work in, make sure you call the union and ask what the situation is. There are some seriously bad ones and a few good ones.
CA might just be a pipe dream for you though because the competition for jobs is pretty fierce right now. Do you speak Spanish? That is going to be very important for the job hunt.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmhatch View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the quick replies so far.

A major concern for me is access to local foods. I'm ok with it coming from upstate, but I want fresh, organic produce and dairy. One concern is that San Diego may not have enough farming around it to offer that?
You'll have nooooo problem with that.

San Diego has at least one farmer's market in some area of the city pretty much daily, and there's also several awesome grocery stores here that supply local, organic produce & dairy. If you do move...check out the Ocean Beach People's Co-op for that.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:02 PM

Mmm... that is music to my ears. I'm glad to hear that about the food.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Don't count on getting an educational job here in San Diego any time soon The schools are continually cutting employees, and if any positions open up, the former employees have priority. It's called "post and bid," and they won't hire from out town any more. Even if you have a local address, and your recent experience isn't with a school district in San Diego, you won't be considered, and it applies to all types of positions.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Any areas east of downtown San Diego are increasingly warm [ie. La Mesa\ El Cajon] but if you want desert dry than the Coachella valley [Palm Springs\ Rancho Mirage\ Indio] would be better. But keep in mind that summer temps in the desert [including Phoenix] are brutally hot. Inland people flock to San Diego during summer since it is so mild.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Interesting. The temperatures in the fall and winter in San Diego by the shore are still fairly high, right? I think I would be ok with the weather near the shore.

As far as having trouble getting a school psych position... hmm. Well, I'll have to do some research. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego