Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times

Advertisements

I was being sarcastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:09 PM

91 posts, read 270,039 times
During the next quake, I plan to lie down and place my roommates on top of me so as to soften the blow of any falling objects, and I suggest you all do the same with any spare friends, family, or even pets you have lying around
Haha kidding of course...
And I don't care what anybody says, I like my chances better in an open street than inside a structure; the recent Chilean earthquake illustrated that buildings built more recently with the "earthquake defense" measures like adjustable foundations and "sturdier" architecture are prone to much more damage than many of the buildings built a long time ago, primarily of wood, with thinner walls, which is NOT what scientists expected.

Either way I hope I'm in a wide open space with a bunch of supplies and a sweet babe if and when the big one comes

Old 04-28-2010, 02:24 PM

37 posts, read 158,829 times
Because there is so little time to make a true "decision", there is no good answer. It all depends on where you are at the time, and how fast your brain and instinct react.
You might be in your bed, in a store, in the shower, cooking in the kitchen...
To my surprise, nobody mentioned a bathtub as a good place to hide, with pillows on top. I know it is a good place to be during a tornado. A bathtub is a natural void, or "life triangle" as they call it. Large falling pieces will be stopped by the side of the bathtub. Smaller pieces that can fit in the bathtub would not be very heavy as to crush you.

The only tip I can add to this thread, is to keep your cellphone close-by at all time.
One thing I do, since I do not have a land phone anymore, but use a cell exclusively, I ALWAYS keep it at an arm-length distance. Even when I go around the house or yard, it is in a little neck bag. Easier to catch an incoming call this way. Or next to my bed at night.

It would be very handy if you are hurt and/or buried. They always look frantically for survivors, and I am sure that if they know where you are, you will have priority. It is quite simple to implement, and possibly the only reliable precaution you can take. Even if cellphone towers are inoperative right after an earthquake, they are the very first thing they fix.

Last edited by SpeedLane; 04-28-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedLane View Post
...One thing I do, since I do not have a land phone anymore, but use a cell exclusively, I ALWAYS keep it at an arm-length distance. Even when I go around the house or yard, it is in a little neck bag. Easier to catch an incoming call this way. Or next to my bed at night. ...
Keep in mind that when you dial 911 from a cellphone, you'll be connected to the CHP and not to your local emergency services. So you might want to find a phone number for your local emergency services and set up a speed dial to reach it.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:38 AM

37 posts, read 158,829 times
It can work reverse too.
Assuming you are unconscious, or too injured to make a call, friends and family who know your habit of keeping your cell nearby can call your number, and possibly locate you...
I can't imagine a worst nightmare than being alive and buried, or pined down, and waiting.... and waiting.... and waiting.... for somebody to come and find you. Thirsty.... peeing in pants... bleeding.... and nobody is coming to the rescue. Slow death....?????

Old 05-02-2010, 12:32 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Keep in mind that when you dial 911 from a cellphone, you'll be connected to the CHP and not to your local emergency services. So you might want to find a phone number for your local emergency services and set up a speed dial to reach it.
Yeah, I found that out the hard way. Someone was trying to get into my house to "use my phone" at 1am (cracked-out lady, said her purse had been stolen, it was hanging from her shoulder! She had two people standing out by the curb waiting for her, too). I called 911, only to get a recording from the CHP- when I followed up, I was told they only have like 2 dispatchers for San Diego and Riverside counties during the late-night hours.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedLane View Post
Because there is so little time to make a true "decision", there is no good answer. It all depends on where you are at the time, and how fast your brain and instinct react.
You might be in your bed, in a store, in the shower, cooking in the kitchen...
This is very true. I ask myself, if I'm on the train, where do i go? if I'm walking downtown what do i do? etc

Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,503 times
Standing in a doorway is outdated advice. Do not go outside. Stay away from windows. If possible get under a sturdy table and hold on to the table.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 PM

21 posts, read 38,275 times
What people also REALLY need to be preparing for/thinking about is AFTER a big possible quake is OVER.

If the citys infastructure is damged there may not be gas and water for WEEKS after the quake. A percentage of Peoples jobs will be nonexistant becuase the buildings will not be fit for working in becuase of the damage. Roadways may be damaged so transporting supplies to the workplace will stop thus possibly making peoles jobs extinct becuase of no supply/demad. People will not be getting their usual paychecks becuase of no work and may not have money saved to but food for the comming weeks. Grocery stores will empty quickly and may not get replenished for weeks or longer.

So, a MINIMUM of 2-3 weeks worth of canned Food/ bottled water for EACH person is vital. Also you can go to your local Fire Station and ask how to properly/safely store Gasoline in your Garage/Yard/Apartment so that if the citys infastructure is damged to the point that you would be better off leaving the city YOU WILL HAVE enough gasoline to get 300-600 miles away to relocate to a new city.

Yes the roads may be jammed for a week but if you have enogh canned food/water you can "ride out" the clogged roads until they move along and you can get to anoher major city. You can always pull off to the side of the road, shut off your car engine(too not waste gasoline) for as long as neccessary.

Blankets will also be inportant to keep warm in your car.

www.ready.gov has some disater prepardness instructions that you can pick and choose from to help you prepare.

Having 2 weeks of food/water blankets, and 60 gallons of gasoline stored does NOT take that much time or money so PLEASE take at least some steps to be prepared for a major Quake. Canned food and bottled water only need to be switched out every 1-2 years so it not like you have to constantly be buying food/water for you disaster prepardness supplies.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
maybe this will help with all your questions....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opXZY1zZ8xk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego