Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 PM

675 posts, read 1,189,995 times

Advertisements

???

What's your vote for the best Pizza in the Bay Area ? I lived in the Bay Area for 7 years, and coming from the NYC area, let's just say, I found as many great Pizzerias in the Bay Area as I've been able to find good Mexican restaurants in NYC (Hint, that's a very low number). What's your favorite pizza in the Bay Area ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,043 times
Right now I'm gonna have to say Zachary's. Their thin crust is really quite good and hits all the right notes with its crust, cheese and sauce. It's not really NYC style though, a bit too thick, but who cares, it's very tasty. I had their deep dish on Sunday and it was great too.

Patxi's in Hayes Valley is pretty good for deep dish too.

Arinelli's in SF is pretty good for NYC style but some days you'll go and it's kind of meh then other days you go and it's a perfect greasy NYC style slice.

Escape from New York is pretty decent and is always reliably good but it's just not a great NYC style slice, the sauce is kind of too tangy or something.

Marcello's on Castro is quite good but I think they used to be better a few years ago, it seems like they weakened their sauce a bit.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM

675 posts, read 1,189,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Right now I'm gonna have to say Zachary's. Their thin crust is really quite good and hits all the right notes with its crust, cheese and sauce. It's not really NYC style though, a bit too thick, but who cares, it's very tasty. I had their deep dish on Sunday and it was great too.

Patxi's in Hayes Valley is pretty good for deep dish too.

Arinelli's in SF is pretty good for NYC style but some days you'll go and it's kind of meh then other days you go and it's a perfect greasy NYC style slice.

Escape from New York is pretty decent and is always reliably good but it's just not a great NYC style slice, the sauce is kind of too tangy or something.

Marcello's on Castro is quite good but I think they used to be better a few years ago, it seems like they weakened their sauce a bit.
Escape from NY was one pizzeria I frequented quite often while living in SF. Pretty close to being good pizza.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:35 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Second vote for Zachary's.

We also like Tomatino which is a local chain. And Amici's. Pizza's good there but the cheesecake is to DIE FOR.... don't let them screw it up with fruit sauce or chocolate sauce.... who DOES that to cheesecake???

In Castro Valley there's Pyzano's, which won a Food Network Pizza Challenge. While the pizza is pretty good, the hours are very restrictive (closing at 9 on the weekends) and if you order a salad prepare to split it between 2-3 people or you won't be able to eat any pizza.

In San Leandro, the only local pizza we like is Porkey's Pizza Palace...

Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,037,722 times
Family-owned Mission Pizza in Fremont is pretty dang good!!

Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
Depends what you like. A lot of the trendier new restaurants do have imported Italian high-heat pizza ovens like Flour+Water or Beretta, and both have tasty pizzas. I understand Pizzeria Picco in Larkspur is consistently rated the best pizza in the Bay Area. I also LOVE Tomatina, which was mentioned; used to be owned by celeb chef Michael Chiarello of Tra Vigne before he sold it off. They are a mini-chain with locations scattered about. A little suburban in feel, but really great. Pizzaiolo and its sister restaurant, Boot and Shoe Service, in Oakland are also top-notch. I also hear good things about Little Star's deep dish and also Pi's thin crust pizza, both in the City. Pizza my Heart is a local surf-themed chain that's decent but straightforward, although my spouse doesn't like it... I also like the wood fired pizzas at Oliveto Cafe in Rockridge in Oakland. Pizzeria Antica is also really good, with several locations and an upcoming expansion into SoCal (but they're local). Really, lots of good places to try out.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Ask American Way.

Brick-oven Pizzeria | New York City | Left Coast | Patsy Grimaldi :: American Way Magazine

Zacharys made the list. That says it all right there.

There was another place called Tony's Pizza Napoletana in SF that made the list. I'm gonna try it when I get the chance.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Zorba's Pizza - SSF (Zorba's super combo)

Pizza Orgasmica - SF

Goat Hill Pizza - SF

Speederia Pizzeria - San Carlos (NY style)

Toto's Pizza - San Bruno

Little Joe's - SF

Little Star - SF (Deep dish)

Pascuales - SF

And from what I hear (haven't had the chance to try it yet), Tony's in North Beach SF is supposed to be excellent. Dude won the pizza world cup in Naples, Italy, so I doubt its not going to be quality.

Last edited by jman650; 08-03-2010 at 11:04 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 AM

358 posts, read 1,037,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
???

What's your vote for the best Pizza in the Bay Area ? I lived in the Bay Area for 7 years, and coming from the NYC area, let's just say, I found as many great Pizzerias in the Bay Area as I've been able to find good Mexican restaurants in NYC (Hint, that's a very low number). What's your favorite pizza in the Bay Area ?
I moved out here from Jersey City back in 2004 and have been on the same search. We like Amici's in SF and in Berkeley (where we live), we LOVE Emilia's on Shattuck. Emilia's is take-out only, but it will remind of you pizza from John's, Arturo's, Lombardi's, and Grimaldi's (in Brooklyn).

Let me know what you think of all of the other ideas that pop up once you get a chance to try them!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
If it aint chicago style there is no point. Look for pi'zza (pronounced peace-a) chicago in San Jose. Its the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland