Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 12:59 AM

11 posts, read 100,305 times

Advertisements

Hi just visited the FBI site and they actually had the stats of crimes for 2006. When I looked through the Californian cities I found a shocking thing.
It said that Oakland had 93 reported murders in 2005. But when I looked at how many murders in 2006 it said: 145

The murder rate for 2005 was 23.2 which is dangerously high, specially for a city with that size.

The murder rate in 2006 was 36!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's rough!!!

Was there some kind of war in Oakland that I've missed or something? I mean, from 23 to 36?? If it was a town with 50,000 as population then that wouldn't be a big surprise but with Oakland's 400,000?!?!?!

Here's the page with the stats for 2006 in California:
Table 4, Offenses Reported to Law Enforcement by State by City 100,000 and over in Population, Alabama-California, January-December 2006 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/06prelim/t4al_ca.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 01:36 AM

718 posts, read 2,688,883 times
you act surprised, statistics like this are not anything new. it always seems to be bouncing around oakland, richmond, or LA.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:13 AM

85 posts, read 628,008 times
On the bright side...the number of murders decreased in...

Bakersfield
Burbank
Corona
Downey
Fairfield
Fontana
Glendale
Hayward
Long Beach
Los Angeles
Norwalk
Orange
Oxnard
Pomona
San Bernardino
San Francisco
Stockton
Sunnyvale
Thousand Oaks
Visalia
West Covina

Old 06-27-2007, 07:04 PM

126 posts, read 579,649 times
Our local news channels are out of the Bay Area and it seems to be non-stop shootings in Oakland. We have an inn and had a guest from there last year who complained that our country road did not have traffic lights and she felt SOOOO UNSAFE. My husband and I had to laugh. The only thing traffic lights would light up here are deer and she felt "unsafe" *rolling eyes* I guess with traffic lights, you can see who is shooting at you in Oakland. (No offense to anyone who lives there - I'm sure the city has nice areas that are safe.)

Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
It's no Rio.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:26 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,712 times
Default Oakland and America's Crime

Sorry ... I'm not finding the same conclusions you are. But you're right in one way... Murder is up in Oakland. Know why??

The first waves of people who were put in prison when the so-called, "Get Tough On Crime" measures were passed are getting out. They went in young, stayed in, and now ... yup ... they're getting out.

They didn't grow. They just became more "criminalized." That's what our far thinking voting has done for us. Seems we're heading for a more facist America. But I digress ... (View prison . com for yourself.)

I pulled up the FBI Stats just now and ... yes ... they're confusing ... but overall, the American South leads as the region with the highest murder rate. But the area nearest to our Nation's Capital is the highest ... Maryland (or DC Metro).

I just left California and now I'm in the Midwest. I'm a native. I loved my home state, but too many idiots and sociopaths are moving in and/or actually being created. (I used to work as a case manager for the San Francisco Parole Office.) The quality of life is gone there.

Many of the people attracted to California came there for the wrong reasons. Now they only want to "compete" ... running after the elusive carrot at the end of the stick ... trying (in vain) to "prove" who is the better person or group. It's all low self-esteem stuff ... internalized oppression ... self-hatred projected outwards.

This quote sums it up: "Americans spend billions of dollars each year traveling the world looking for places where people will love us ... yet, we REFUSE to speak to the neighbor who lives right next door."

Now add to it all the people who NAFTA has screwed in different countries (now seeking a better life in California), and all the perverts who flock there to find sex (because they have no clue on how to create love ... SEE: craigslist), and all the selfish, demonic-inspired, hateful laws created since Prop 13, and you have one God awful mess.

Have fun in my old home ... while you still can. Pointing the finger at Oakland? Have a look at your hand ... there's three fingers pointing back at YOU.

One more thing about those FBI statistics... I'm trying to run away from the rat race California has become. I dream of a more peaceful life in the country. The first thing I ran into was a young white guy who was totally frustrated because he said he lived in a small country town here and "everyone" was having sex with underage kids, doing meth, and engaging in Man/boy stuff."

Have a look at those FBI stats ... I'm sad to see that crime is now higher in rural areas than in urban areas. My God ... my God...

Old 06-28-2007, 10:45 AM

35 posts, read 144,195 times
Are you currently living in Oakland or thinking or relocating there? I wasn't sure from your post. Yes, Oakland has areas where crime is really, really bad, but it also has some absolutely wonderful areas. I used to live in one of them (Rockridge), but boy has it become pricey there!

The southern part of Oakland along the San Leandro boulevard is the most dangerous section of the city. In particular, the Elmhurst, Havenscourt and Sobrante Park neighborhoods should be avoided, as well as the area immediately north and south of Foothill Blvd. in east Oakland. West Oakland used to be terrible, but it seem to be getting better when I left six years ago.

Two tools that you might want to use if you're thinking of moving to Oakland or within Oakland are Relocation Essentials and Click for a Zip Code Boundary Map. The zip code mapping site will show you all the zip codes in Oakland overlayed on a map of the city. The relocation essentials site will tell you about how much crime there is within any zip code. If you use the two tools together you'll quickly be able to see what parts of the city to stay away from.

Oakland really is a beautiful, vibrant city. Redwood Park, the Oakland Hills and the views of the Bay are astonishingly beautiful. There are tons of things to do in the city - concerts, live theater, museums, shopping, great eating and everything else you could possibly want. Don't let the horrible parts of the city rob you of the chance to live in what's otherwise a great place to live! I moved 6 years ago when my husband got transferred, and I wouldn't be that eager to move back to any part of California at this point, but if I had to move back, I'd definitely move back to Oakland.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I think you would be in for a pleasant surprise if you are comparing Sobrante Park and Brookfield Village of 10 years ago and today.

We have many new Homeowners and most are Hispanics who take incredible pride in their homes. Homes are getting painted, lawns going in and neighbors actually wave to each other.

My observation is that many of my Hispanic Neighbors have a tremendous amount of construction talent within their immediate families. Just drive around the neighborhood on a Saturday and you will see brothers, uncles and cousins building a fence, putting in a new driveway or landscaping.

Oakland is a very dynamic city. At one time West Oakland was Really, Really Bad and now it isn't. Things change and if you can pick a neighborhood on the way-up... you really have everything to gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland