Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times

Advertisements

I've read the Marina has no parking. BUT, having been there many times with a car, I've never had trouble finding parking. And that's without having any city parking permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Well avoid the Northeastern part of the city (east of Van Ness and north of Market) as that is the worst area for parking. Hayes Valley seems to be really hard to park in for some reason too though.
The worst neighborhood for parking in my opinion is the area around 16th & Valencia in Mission! Too many people go there and there are not much garage parking and its almost impossible to find street parking.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
I would second the Mission area. I always seem to find parking pretty easily in Hayes Valley, and with some effort in the Marina.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I would second the Mission area. I always seem to find parking pretty easily in Hayes Valley, and with some effort in the Marina.
Mission,Marina and Hayes Valley are three neighborhoods to definitely avoid if you are looking for easy parking.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak View Post
Allow to clarify what I meant by "relatively easy street parking."

Obviously, in SF, I don't expect to be able to park right in front of my home with ease. However, I don't want to have to circle for 20 minutes just to find a spot within 1/4 mile of my place either. I am talking about the kind of neighborhood where more often than not there are parking spots available within a block or two of home.
I was just in SF a few weeks ago on a job interview, looking at possibly relocating, and it did not seem like there was easy parking anywhere in the city. It seemed to me like you'd be driving 20 minutes around the block every time. That's what we did when our friend took us out.

I don't know how much monthly parking garages cost?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I was just in SF a few weeks ago on a job interview, looking at possibly relocating, and it did not seem like there was easy parking anywhere in the city. It seemed to me like you'd be driving 20 minutes around the block every time. That's what we did when our friend took us out.

I don't know how much monthly parking garages cost?
Parking is tough everywhere except outer sunset/richmond areas but when meters run you can find street parking without driving around for 20 mins. But say if you go to Mission on a weekend evening in areas with lot of entertainment then forget about finding a spot at all. Either cab it or Muni it!

Monthly garage parking can easily run to $200 but some apartments are cheaper.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Mission,Marina and Hayes Valley are three neighborhoods to definitely avoid if you are looking for easy parking.
I would add North Beach as another area with extremely difficult parking (not surprising as it is adjacent to Chinatown).

Old 08-17-2010, 11:55 AM

29 posts, read 124,665 times
By walkable neighborhood, do you mean walkable to Downtown SF / Financial District, or just walkable in terms of having restaurants / grocery stores in your area? If the latter, then I will second Pac Heights, West of Fillmore St. I live there now, and *none* of my friends have had difficulty finding parking when they visit (w/in a 2 block radius). It is a more residential part of the city, but is very close to several commercial areas and the #1 bus runs frequently.

Other areas to consider: NOPA (North of Panhandle), Laurel Heights, Inner/Mid Richmond, West Portal, Potrero Hill.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
LOL. Maybe I just know some secrets you guys don't. I can generally find parking in the Marina WITH EASE. And I can find it in Russian Hill as well. A lot depends on your personal preferences. For some people, they're only willing to look on the main drags and/or immediately outside the venue they are going to. They're unwilling to get a little creative and/or walk a little. If that's you, parking in the Marina is not for you.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:50 PM

70 posts, read 324,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity78 View Post
By walkable neighborhood, do you mean walkable to Downtown SF / Financial District, or just walkable in terms of having restaurants / grocery stores in your area? If the latter, then I will second Pac Heights, West of Fillmore St. I live there now, and *none* of my friends have had difficulty finding parking when they visit (w/in a 2 block radius). It is a more residential part of the city, but is very close to several commercial areas and the #1 bus runs frequently.

Other areas to consider: NOPA (North of Panhandle), Laurel Heights, Inner/Mid Richmond, West Portal, Potrero Hill.

Good question. By "walkable", I meant within walking distance to restaurants, shops, bars, etc. Thanks for the email!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland