Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,162 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm considering moving to San Francisco sometime in the next two years. I've researched a bunch of cities across the country, and SF appeals to me most. I'm a Massachusetts native in my early 20s. I recently graduated with my BA and decided to take a year or two off; right now, I'm living in Poland, working as an ESL teacher.

So I'm considering applying to grad schools, probably for fall 2012. I'm interested in communication (particularly film or media studies). Does anyone have any insights into grad programs in SF?

I'm also considering just looking for a job there. Does anyone know if there is a demand for ESL teachers? Also, my degree is in communication, so I'd be willing to work with anything in the journalism/publishing field.

What's the housing situation like for students/young people? I'm your typical recent college grad (student loans, etc.), so I'm definitely all for frugality. I'm not against living with roommates at all.

What other advice would you have for me, re: relocating, school, finding work, housing, etc.? Anything at all would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Your interests seem more akin to L.A. than San Francisco. Have you ruled that part of the state out?

Old 10-13-2010, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,162 times
Nope, I haven't ruled out L.A. I'm weighing my options, though; I want to be sure I make the right choice!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times
for sf, look at academy of art university and the mission district neighborhood

for la, look at art center pasadena, usc film school, silverlake and echo park

keep in mind that in la you will need a car so budget for that

in sf, the companies that seem to be hiring the most right now are the successful dot coms like twitter, zynga, etc. look at the jobs they have listed on their websites- they are hiring for lots of non-programming/engineering jobs too

as for advice, the economy sucks right now so being picky about the job you want will make it difficult, i think the best strategy is get your foot into a good company that treats its employees well and that will give you a chance to grow even if it is not perfectly what you want to do

Last edited by mini_cute; 10-13-2010 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland