Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm here to set some facts straight.
No you're not. You're here to argue with anyone who suggests that the Mission has a pretty serious crime problem- which it definitely does.

When you present opinions like these as facts, people will jump all over you:

Quote:
Well, that's the thing, in the Mission there isn't any "where not to be and at what time" like West Oakland. You can go anywhere at any time, there simply isn't any particular dangerous spot that someone should avoid at all cost.
Quote:
You've already scared one guy into thinking Mission is worse than the worse in Detroit. Whether you're aware of it or not, the posts you created made Mission sounds like the most dangerous neighborhood in the world.
I've never even been to Detroit, so I have no idea how bad crime is or if it's worse than the Mission or West Oakland. But as I said earlier:

Quote:
The point wasn't to scare you off from living there. The point was to get you to realize that it's a vibrant neighborhood with it's own fair share of crime. In all honesty, crime is pretty much everywhere in the Urban Bay Area, it's just more prevalent in some places than others. Check it out and see for yourself. If you feel like you constantly have to watch your back or that you don't feel safe, DON'T MOVE THERE!
I think rah and 90s have pretty much owned you in this thread, so you might want to pick up your soccer ball and go home now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 03:18 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
^haha it's annoying when people don't know they've lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
"Almost all of the violent crime takes place in a 3-4 block radius between Mission St and Shotwell St. "
That's a nice statement you made there . Too bad it's not true...and even if it was true, that area between Mission and Shotwell is still a large chunk of the neighborhood, making up 47 square blocks. You can stop trying to trivialize the crime in the mission now, it's clear you don't know as much as you think you do.

Also, you used the word "radius" in the wrong context there.

And yes you apparently are trying to deny crime, because every time I or someone else goes into detail about it, and says something like "the mission is not all safe" you then get your panties in a bunch. It's like someone getting angry because they were told it's possible to drown in the ocean.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:49 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
eonce a guy was riding by on his bike and eyeing my purse hard, I just said hey how are you to him and he kept riding.
that was me! i wasn't eyeing your purse... i was to shy to say hi back.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:03 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,228,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
No actually, you said the exact same thing in the bolded part that I said you did.

What exactly did you say in the second quote that you didn't say in the first one? You said the same thing in both... If you're not a gangster, the Mission is safe. I'm telling you how bogus that is.

And no genius, I'm the one who's said repeatedly that the Mission has its strengths and weaknesses. Your sugarcoating of the weaknesses is laughable and is just as idiotic as I said it is. Notice that the Mission is still considered one of SF's best neighborhoods despite the crime issues. It doesn't need you to gloss over the crime to convince people to move to it. All it does is make you sound like you have an inferiority complex.

Again, you're picking a fight with an imaginary guy. Where did I say I disagree with you on that part of your post?

You just like to argue don't you?

Quote:
Oh really, you don't see the inconsistency? You go from "there's nowhere in the Mission I'd think twice about being in at any time of the day" to "Well, I wouldn't hang out there." Tell me, why wouldn't you hang out there if normal people are shielded from the violence that only affects bangers?

I DID NOT SAY "there's nowhere in the Mission I'd think twice about being in at any time of the day." You MADE that up. I said there's not any one spot that a person should avoid at all cost. Meaning there isn't one place so dangerous that you invite trouble just by walking into the area (And I've been to areas like that). Could things still happen to you? Sure. Anything can happen. You may get hit by car, hit by a stray bullet, get mistakened for a gangster, hit by lighting. Sure things could happen but if there's no reason for you be on someone's hit list, the chance of you being shot is minimal. "Minimal" is a word that I used often, I'm beginning to think that "minimal" means "never will happen" in your book.

Quote:
And fantastic job focusing on the "stupid" - which I'm more than entitled to think of your opinion as, as you are to think of mine - instead of the point.

You're entitled to think however you want to think. You see, I'm not a control freak like you are. I don't care if another has a different opinion than I do. But to actually say it to someone's face, well, that's rude; and it detracts from the argument. I don't want just another third-grade name-calling thread even though that seems like your cup of tea. To each his own I guess.

You see, I respect you, and rah, and O4k1and even if I disagree with you. I respect you guys as human beings; even if the same courtesy isn't extended by you to me. That's just manners. It's like my grandpa once said to a woman who yelled at him for being a sexist for holding the door for her, my grandpa said, "You may not be a lady, but that doesn't mean I can't be a gentleman."

Flava, I'm not calling you a lady least you make more hissy fit.

Quote:

Your sugarcoating of the weaknesses is laughable and is just as idiotic as I said it is.

There is nothing protecting you from a stray bullet meant for a banger. There is nothing protecting you from being mistaken for somebody else. Do you honestly believe that all victims of crime in the Mission are bangers? Is that how you sleep at night with misrepresenting the downsides of the neighborhood? Nobody who knows exactly what I'm talking about is going to take that part of your opinion seriously.

"Sugarcoating"? You threw a hissy fit because I "sugarcoated"? You're not even arguing facts anymore, you're just throwing out a bunch of hypotheticals and hope they stick.

I feel safe in the Mission. That's just how I feel. It's strange the length to which you'd go to change my mind. Why is my opinion so important to you? I can say that yours certainly isn't that important to me.

Last edited by beb0p; 09-08-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
See, it's somebody like you that doesn't exist in the lens of beb0p. You can be a normal well-to-do person living in a bad part of town and still have guns pulled on you, be mugged, get jumped, etc. His myth is that it only happens to bangers.

Oh please. Show me where I actually said that.

You can't seem to stop making things up about me. I had spend more time correcting you than actually debating your point (for which there's basically just two that you keep repeating).

Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

That's a nice statement you made there . Too bad it's not true...and even if it was true, that area between Mission and Shotwell is still a large chunk of the neighborhood, making up 47 square blocks. You can stop trying to trivialize the crime in the mission now, it's clear you don't know as much as you think you do.

Exactly genius, I said a large chunk of the neighborhood is prone to crime. In one sentence you inferred that I said a "large chunk of the neighborhood" is prone to crime, in the next sentence you said I deny crime ever happens.

You basically refuted your own statements. Can you, for the first time ever in this tread, actually read what you wrote before you hit the submit button? You seem to have this strange urge to jump into the fray but offering nothing of substance.

Quote:
Also, you used the word "radius" in the wrong context there.

So you are just going to be nit picking and writing contradictory sentences, eh?

Quote:
And yes you apparently are trying to deny crime, because every time I or someone else goes into detail about it, and says something like "the mission is not all safe" you then get your panties in a bunch. It's like someone getting angry because they were told it's possible to drown in the ocean.
Yes, I'm trying to deny that the Mission is not all safe when I've already said in my posts that the Mission is not all safe. Sure, make sense.

Last edited by beb0p; 09-08-2011 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
No you're not. You're here to argue with anyone who suggests that the Mission has a pretty serious crime problem- which it definitely does.

I didn't argue with Knit Knots, cardozoj, or bmw335xi. You know why? Because they didn't just make up hyperbole like you did. I have no problem with people who offer honest opinion, it's guys who makes Mission sounds like a war zone that I have a problem with.

Quote:
I've never even been to Detroit, so I have no idea how bad crime is or if it's worse than the Mission or West Oakland. But as I said earlier:
That was one of the few sensible things you've said. And I didn't argue did it?

It's when you say things like the following that I had to show you the light:

Quote:
Yeah the Mission is fun when you're out with a group of people and you want to go out drinking and be close to BART, but I'd much rather live with the (somewhat annoying) yuppies in the Marina and not have to worry about getting shot in a drive by. And this is coming from someone who lives in West Oakland... LOL
That's when I say, unless you're a gangster, it's unlikely you'll get shot in a drive up.

Bystanders may get got in the wrong place at the wrong time, but no one is purposely going to do a drive-by if you're just a yuppie. Save for the mistakened-house incident which happens rarely.

Quote:
I think rah and 90s have pretty much owned you in this thread, so you might want to pick up your soccer ball and go home now...
If by owning you mean "consistently making up stuff and then claiming I wrote them" then sure, they've owned me. In fact, they're the master of it.

Last edited by beb0p; 09-08-2011 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
We're all aware that some of the upscale restaurants are in the "war zone" and plenty of yuppies hang out in the "war zone". How many of the non-yuppie residents do you see hanging out in the war zone after dark? Ask the non-yuppie neighbors of yours whether their kids - including the older ones - have a night curfew. The good parents do... the ones who don't are generally the ones who have bangers for kids.

My neighbors' kids don't have curfews. They're great kids, good students, stay out of trouble, in fact way more mature and grounded than I was at the same age.

What is your point?? Trying to suggest that my neighbors are gangbangers, eh? Sure, you'd be the one to know.

Btw, on 24th St, after dark the ratio of yuppies and non-yuppies are about 50/50. I have seen a non-yuppie family of eight including a couple of small children get late night snacks at Vahalla (sp?) at 11 pm, back when Vahalla is still open. I miss that place.

Quote:
And you misinterpreted what I said. I said that they DO live on the East Mission, but generally in new condo developments. And don't pretend that you haven't seen these.

You've basically gone from yuppies living in "Walled City" to yuppies living in condo developments. "Walled City" is a far cry from condo development, my friend. Talk about backpedaling.

And you've basically went from "the yuppies do not live in the war zone. They also don't really live in the neighborhood" to "they DO live on the East Mission." Another back pedaling.

If you keep this up we're not going to have much to argue anymore because you'd have conceded your points.

Last edited by beb0p; 09-08-2011 at 06:17 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
Quote:
That's when I say, unless you're a gangster, it's unlikely you'll get shot in a drive up.

Bystanders may get got in the wrong place at the wrong time, but no one is purposely going to do a drive-by if you're just a yuppie. Save for the mistakened-house incident which happens rarely.
Um the reason why drive-bys are so dangerous is because half of the time they go wrong. When you're in a fast moving car trying to hit a target with a rapid stream of bullets, odds are you're going to miss and hit some 6 year old yuppie's kid or some yuppie jogger. It's not a gangbangers versus yuppies thing. Quit trying to downplay the severity of this type of violence. They happen frequently in the Mission (and even in West Oakland for that matter) and it's not something you can predict or prepare for. Geez...

Old 09-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Um the reason why drive-bys are so dangerous is because half of the time they go wrong. When you're in a fast moving car trying to hit a target with a rapid stream of bullets, odds are you're going to miss and hit some 6 year old yuppie's kid or some yuppie jogger. It's not a gangbangers versus yuppies thing. Quit trying to downplay the severity of this type of violence. They happen frequently in the Mission (and even in West Oakland for that matter) and it's not something you can predict or prepare for. Geez...

I was shot at a couple of times in my life (not in the Mission) but having not done a drive-by ever, ok point taken. Seriously, you guys spend too much time worrying about things like drive-bys. How many drive-bys do you think happen in the Mission? The last one that I can remember is in June and the one before that is in March. Both times, the intended target was hit. For all the time that I've lived here, I can remember more than a few drive-by in years. Is drive-by dangerous? Yes. Is it a horrible event? Yes. Does it happen so often that you need to worry about it? No. Worrying about drive-bys is like worrying about getting hit by cars. If I say, the chances of you getting hit by a car is minimal even though there are many cars and bad drivers in the city and accidents do happen from time to time, would you call that unreasonable? What I said is that there is a minimal chance you'll get hit by a stray bullet even though the city has its share of homicides and innocent people do get killed from time to time. Somehow, that riled your feathers. It's very strange.

But I'm still confused what is it you're trying to accomplish here. You and Flava seem hellbent on making me feel uneasy about living in the Mission. Why is it so important to you that I don't feel safe here? Are you guys involved in some sort of futures market for the Mission District?

Last edited by beb0p; 09-08-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland