Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 10,809 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering a move from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and am pretty much ready to go now-except I would ideally like to have a job lined up. I know for certain I want to end up in that city, but am looking for advice on the feasibility.

1. Any comments on the cost of living? Can I find something in a safe area for less than 1400?
2. Whats the job market like right now? I am an HR professional with exp. in recruitment/selection, compensation, training, and performance management with about 7 years experience and an MA in my field. How long should I expect it to take to find a job that will pay the rent?
3. Should I bring my car up there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 11:21 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
1. You can find something safe for $1,400 but it will be a small studio unless you are willing to share an apt with other renters.

2. Compared to the rest of the United States, good. Especially when it comes to higher end jobs.

3. If you want to live IN the city, probably not with $1,400 rent budget. Many garages charge $200-$400 per month for a space. If you want to save a bit on rent and live in San Bruno for example, keep your car.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Depends on what the "something" you are looking for--a 1br? A studio? Do you have to live in SF or are you ok with some of the nearby suburbs? Also it depends on where you get a job and how long you want to commute to work, and how you want to get to work--public transit, driving etc. You're not that far away so I would try and line up a job before you get here so you can know what your commute would be like and how much you could afford to pay for rent. Honestly I think the job market still sucks here, I would not expect to find a job right away.

A studio in SF is about $1000-1200 for something decent in a nice area. A 1 bedroom within SF starts around $1300-1400 and that is for something in a nice area but that will be a really basic and probably small place and might be kind of decrepit, but sometimes you see nice places for that price--but generally apartments in SF are pretty old and small. You can get cheaper rents in the suburbs--Rockridge in Oakland is 20 minutes on BART from downtown Oakland and you can get a studio for about $850 and a 1br for about $1100 or so. But the monthly cost of riding BART really adds up, so keep that in mind--same for if you were driving to work from the burbs.

You don't need a car in SF but the public transit is not 100% reliable or convenient there. But it can be a real hassle to park in SF, though in most areas you can park on the street if you are persistent about finding a space. In Rockridge you wouldn't have to worry about parking at all, there are spaces all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland