Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 06:11 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Is February "Let's be racist" month?

The number of "let's focus on race" threads that have been resurrected in the past couple of weeks is disturbing.
What is racist about just reporting census data facts on regional racial/ethnic changes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 06:54 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
What is racist about just reporting census data facts on regional racial/ethnic changes?
Why do people care? From my experiences, only people that are racists do.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Actually the total fertility rate (TFR) for black Americans has fallen below replacement level. African immigrants to the U.S. also don't have remarkably large families with 3+ kids, as they are usually highly educated and educated people -- as a rule -- do not reproduce at high levels.

California will be 50% Hispanic/Latino and roughly 25% Asian and 25% Non-Hispanic White going into the future.

Blacks are expected to drop below 4% of the population of California in the next decade or so.
And thus, Latino/"white"/Asian hybrids will be the main stock. Doesn't sound bad at all.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:18 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Why do people care? From my experiences, only people that are racists do.
Interesting. I will make sure I tell the census bureau that. The only people that like to cite their data on race/ethnicity are racists. Might as well tell that to all the major media publications that site this type of data in their articles as well, that they are all racists for merely observing the facts in the data.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Interesting. I will make sure I tell the census bureau that. The only people that like to cite their data on race/ethnicity are racists.
What then can be said of those who are pleased that white people are departing? After all, we read day after day that life is so much better without those pesky white people.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:26 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,461,564 times
I'd also like to see statistics based on class as well. Is it just the White Middle Class leaving or are the Upper Class Whites leaving as well. I am sure a lot of Hispanics are being priced out and moving to the Central Valley. With Asians same thing; Rich vs. Middle and Working Class Asians. I even met a Filipino guy from SF when I was in Vegas who was living there and told me he was priced out. There could be elite White Flight as well. Peter Thiel's recent departure to LA is an example.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:29 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Is February "Let's be racist" month?
Not a commentary on this thread in particular, but February IS Black History Month - which tends to bring out the (white) racists, as they hate being reminded the world doesn't revolve around them.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:12 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,008,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I'd also like to see statistics based on class as well. Is it just the White Middle Class leaving or are the Upper Class Whites leaving as well. I am sure a lot of Hispanics are being priced out and moving to the Central Valley. With Asians same thing; Rich vs. Middle and Working Class Asians. I even met a Filipino guy from SF when I was in Vegas who was living there and told me he was priced out. There could be elite White Flight as well. Peter Thiel's recent departure to LA is an example.
Also, in the bay, many Asians are obsessed with moving into white communities.

You pretty much have to move Marin, where executives live, to be in a white community. As the executive class, even in tech, is mostly white.

It's too bad Marin people are the most insufferable people in the US, though.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:32 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,486 times
The White population is increasing in my Oakland area around the Lake. As prices increased, the lower income people of color left and were/are being replaced by higher income Whites. I think my hood is going through at least the 2nd generation of 'gentrifiers.' First has already sold, made bank, and moved on... But overall, yes, the White population is decreasing as a percentage of the whole Bay Area.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,109,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Also, in the bay, many Asians are obsessed with moving into white communities.

You pretty much have to move Marin, where executives live, to be in a white community. As the executive class, even in tech, is mostly white.

It's too bad Marin people are the most insufferable people in the US, though.
Personally, I would not say that I was obsessed with moving into a white neighborhood, as you state.

In 1986, I purchased my first peninsula property in the hills of Burlingame. At the time, my daughter was 2 and my son was 1. I simply wanted to afford my young family what I did not have growing up.

Eventually, all of my younger siblings made the same move towards the peninsula cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland