Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:06 AM

457 posts, read 756,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Strongly disagree! The South Asian food scene in SF is horrible... Indian/Pakistani food is good only in parts of south bay and terrible everywhere else in bay area. Also, Mexican food in SF pathetic!

Frankly SF is full of overpriced yuppies restaurants and seriously lacks in authentic ethnic restaurants except for Chinese and Thai. South bay has way more diversity.
How many times do you have to prove your ignorance?

I know my Indian/Pakistani food. Beef Nihari, brain masala, garlic naan and boti kabab. My wife is Indian from India and I dated a Pakistani girl back in the day. The South Asian food in SF and the Bay Area is THE BEST in the US. The best Paki restaurant is actually the Pakwan in Hayward (east bay). Go and try their Sunday buffet. In addition the Shalimar in Jones street, Lahore Karahi, Aslam's Rasoi are all amazing hole in the wall restaurants. Udupi serves amazing south indian food as well. And Mexican food - clearly you haven't eaten in El Faralito. Having lived in LA for 5 years, I was shocked at how good the Mexican food in SF is.

Also, SF has great Vietnamese cuisine - try crabs in PPQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 AM

457 posts, read 756,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Yeah his BS is as lame as it gets on this site. There are so many angles to attack us from yet he's so pathetic he needs to lie about virtually everything when he's in one of his moods. Notice how his sorry a$$ hasn't been posting in recent days since the weather has been warmer? Yeah, he's not as simple to figure out as tic tac toe.

Expect to hear from him again as soon as the weather cools down, and expect to see the rest of the sane world continue to tell him how much of an idiot he is.

Seriously, I couldn't agree more. That poster isn't anti-SF though, so I'm guessing he just hasn't had any of the good stuff. I will say that SF doesn't dominate in Indian and that the South Bay has SF handily beat in that department, but some of the top Indian/Pakistani (Amber, Lahore Karahi, etc.) and Mexican sit down restaurants (Collibri, etc.) as well as taquerias (Ummm...like the whole Mission and Excelsior Districts lol) in the Bay Area are found in SF. Not to mention one of the top Afghan restaurants in the Bay (Hellmand Palace) is also in SF.

Of course trollyadhi01 couldn't name any of what was responsible for making the South Bay so superior in this regard, nor could he give any apples-to-apples comparisons to back up his claim b/c he knows absolutely NOTHING about the Bay Area outside of SF, and he hardly knows anything about SF to begin with! So that was just him being his same ol' self and trying to bash SF and instigate arguments w/o having any real experience comparing the two.

The South bay OTOH has a really impressive array of all types of Indian cuisine, and usually for much cheaper than what there is in SF. If we were comparing just SOMA to like Mtn. View or Sunnyvale (as he likely is - either that or ONLY Irving St ) its not even a contest. It would be like comparing San Bruno and Cupertino for Filipino food. SF does have some really good Indian food though; its just that there are a good amount of spots that blow and the area between Palo Alto and Santa Clara have an extremely impressive selection of great Indian restaurants.

I'm guessing anyone who downs SF for its Indian cuisine is judging it by places like Naan n Curry, Tasty Curry (or as I call it "Nasty Curry"), Ruchi, Mehfil, etc. and not even the halfway decent spots like Clay Oven or Roti. And we know andy is judging all of SF's Mexican on like Cancun and Chipotle lol. Oh wait, he MIGHT have also had Nick's Crispy Tacos, my bad.

As if SF's supposed to be able to shine brightly at the top of every single category and beat out everywhere else in the Bay in every instance. Leave it to him and other idiot SF critics/haters to focus on the glass being 10% empty ("This sucks. A sip is gone from my glass and now its not overflowing. Waaaaah." ), and reach for whatever SF MIGHT not be the top destination in the US for rather than crediting it for all the other many areas it shines in. What a bunch of BS.

And nevermind (in his retarded bashing of SF's South Asian options) that SF (and Berkeley) completely crush the South Bay (and rest of the Bay) in Nepalese. Let's also ignore the fact that other parts of the Bay outside of SF/Berkeley/Oakland/Albany don't have answers to their Indonesian, Cambodian, Lao, Thai, and too many other things to bother listing. No, letKs fixate on what SF doesn't have and berate it for it. What kind of an idiot would buy into this moronic, short-sighted mentality?
Great post. I also forgot that Berkely has Vik's Chaat, arguably the best Indian fast food restaurant

Old 06-22-2011, 12:15 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
I know my Indian/Pakistani food. Beef Nihari, brain masala, garlic naan and boti kabab. My wife is Indian from India and I dated a Pakistani girl back in the day. The South Asian food in SF and the Bay Area is THE BEST in the US. The best Paki restaurant is actually the Pakwan in Hayward (east bay). Go and try their Sunday buffet. In addition the Shalimar in Jones street, Lahore Karahi, Aslam's Rasoi are all amazing hole in the wall restaurants. Udupi serves amazing south indian food as well..
Aslam's Rasoi is hole in the wall?? That is one of the pricier Indian restuarants in the city. The food is way overpriced, bland and good for only non-Indians who have no idea how the food should taste like. Bay area Indian food is very generic, cooked for the non-Indian palate, lacks diversity and overpriced. The Indian food scene in DFW/Houston TX is miles ahead of bay area.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Great post. I also forgot that Berkely has Vik's Chaat, arguably the best Indian fast food restaurant
LOL! If you take authentic Indian chaat and then take away 90% of spices and dilute the damn thing with water you will get Vik's chaat.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
The Indian food scene in DFW/Houston TX is miles ahead of bay area.
The Chicken McCurry Nuggets and BBQ Chili Vindaloo beans are da bomb, y'all!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Baker Beach on a hot summer day

Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,084 times
The weed. Even the mid grades out in the bay is better. Until I got locked up on a trumped up charge, I was having dude send me the stuff out here. I was charging double what I payed for in the bay, back here.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:03 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
The weed. Even the mid grades out in the bay is better. Until I got locked up on a trumped up charge, I was having dude send me the stuff out here. I was charging double what I payed for in the bay, back here.
Doesn't sound like you got locked up on a trumped up charge, sounds like you were dealing, which I believe is illegal in the United States. Good job becoming a weed expert though ! I may have to look you up when I come to SF in July, lol.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 PM

310 posts, read 651,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post

I can't imagine why you would have gotten locked up. You seem to be so careful...especially the part about not announcing to the world over an internet forum that you're a drug dealer.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
I love that it has a village feel when you're in your neighborhood and you have the city feel available at your fingertips whenever you want it.
I love the open mindedness of most of the inhabitants. I love the beautiful scenery...looking up the hills...or down into the valleys...or the wonderful parks...gazing out across the ocean...looking at the magnificent bridges...or the islands in the bay. What a wonderful place. We are so fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland