Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,185 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to San Francisco but cannot afford more than $2500 a month for rent and need a 2 bed house with a small yard. I cannot share walls as I have two giant breed dogs (one of them has a very loud bark). Is it possible to find a nice place that isn't way out in the burbs?? Any neighborhood suggestions? Close to a dog park would be nice Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:32 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
Most people in SF itself live in apartments. There are a few areas with houses like the Sunset but they're almost all attached to one another on the sides, and they have small backyards and basically no front yard, also renting an entire house in SF would be expensive, probably higher than your budget. Anywhere in the suburbs has a lot of houses with yards of differing sizes, it just depends on your budget. Maybe look around Oakland, sometimes people post listings here of houses in the Oakland Hills that look like pretty good deals but I don't remember any prices.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 PM

484 posts, read 822,659 times
You'd probably have to live in a not-very-nice neighborhood at that price. Try searching Craigslist personals ... you can plug in your price range and check the "dogs" box.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:12 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
What you can get is a nice 2-bedroom apartment in your range in San Francisco where you can keep at least one of your dogs and walk it around, say, Golden Gate Park or the Presidio. As for the barking, have you considered training programs for eliminating that nuisance barking?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,111 times
Way out in the burbs, you could rent a 2 and 3-bedroom home or townhouse with a yard in a neighborhood ranging from decent to great for $1600-$1700/mo (East Bay - Hercules, Pinole, Concord, etc) for comparison's sake. If you elected on a lesser neighborhood, you could go as low as $1400 and maintain the yard and the 2-3 bedrooms in Concord and Hayward.

I agree with Sonarrat: if you decide to stay in SF-proper, I'd angle myself toward a park because yards in SF = not really happening and landlords in SF, especially, tend to be very anti-large, annoying pet. =P

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
If you want to stay within San Francisco, try the nabes south of 280 (Crocker Amazon, Excelsior, Visitation Valley) or the western edge of SF (Outer Parkside, Outer Sunset, Outer Richmond). Those are burbs, but at least they're in SF. Most residence in SF proper is not single family house, so even if you can find one it's going to be sky high expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland