Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times

Advertisements

I am planning on making a trip up to the Bay in September from LA with a friend of mine. We will driving up during the week, probably mid Tuesday to noonish Thursday. We know the sights we want to see. Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, Giants game (if in town), and then perhaps a side trip to Berkeley.

Is it worth it to stay near the SFO airport due to much cheaper hotels than in the City?? Or even the Oakland Airport? Is it easy to get into the city from them?

I have heard Daly City is not that nice so even though it's closer than than the airport it's far from being safe.

Since BART doesn't go to all the sites, are there buses or cabs that are easily available since I can imagine parking is a nightmare in the City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
There aren't many options around Oakland Airport. I'd pass. If you were going to stay in Oakland, try the Marriott at City Center. They are finishing/in the middle of a renovation and the location is excellent. A very fast BART ride to downtown SF. Think about 15 minutes. If you don't mind driving more, Emeryville could work as well (this city borders Oakland and Berkeley on the west side, near the foot of the Bay Bridge). Parking during the week in SF is very expensive, and most of your attractions are in expensive parts of town, so it is about $40 a day to park. Transit is better. Cabs can be tricky to find, but transit would be easy, and you can also visit a large hotel's cab stand. I think the SF airport area is pretty lame, and not really all that close to downtown SF.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM

802 posts, read 2,265,051 times
I don't think that I'd worry about safety in Daly City as much as I would worry about the fog.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
The hotels near SFO really are pretty cheap from what I've seen, like $60-80 a night compared to something that would be $150-200 in a touristy part of SF. But you'd have to figure out how to get to SF, if you take BART you'd have to get a shuttle to the Millbrae BART station, and riding a taxi would add up, and having a rental car and having to pay to park in SF would add up too. If you're in a decent part of SF you can just walk out the door and have a lot of stuff to do.

Daly City is just kind of a slightly dumpy inner suburb. Unless you found a really nice hotel near the Daly City BART station I wouldn't bother staying there, and I'm pretty sure there aren't many convenient hotels there.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Don't stay at the airports if you are visiting San Francisco! I promise you will regret it.

If you want to keep your car, stay at a hotel along Lombard St. Cow Hollow Inn I can recommend from personal experience. Most of these properties offer free parking and are located in a great part of town. The rates are usually around $120-$150, but considering you'd pay $30-50 per night for parking in downtown, it's a steal.

Enjoy!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Cool thanks for the tips everyone! We may end up staying downtown Oakland because we want to catch an A's game (looks like they are in town not the Giants) and get to Berkeley one day too. Then spend a whole day in SF. We are driving up from LA too so it will be easy to drive to Berkeley from Oakland. Plus BART seems to be nearby in downtown Oakland to get to SF.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
There are a few hotels around University Ave in downtown Berkeley that you could check out, they're just a couple blocks from the downtown Berkeley BART station on Shattuck where there's a ton of shops and restaurants. Downtown Oakland might be cheaper but you wouldn't really want to go out at night, there's some cool stuff in downtown Oakland like the Trappist pub and Lake Merritt but a lot of the area is kinda sketchy. But if you are just planning on going straight from BART to your hotel around 8pm every night you should be ok.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
There are a few hotels around University Ave in downtown Berkeley that you could check out, they're just a couple blocks from the downtown Berkeley BART station on Shattuck where there's a ton of shops and restaurants. Downtown Oakland might be cheaper but you wouldn't really want to go out at night, there's some cool stuff in downtown Oakland like the Trappist pub and Lake Merritt but a lot of the area is kinda sketchy. But if you are just planning on going straight from BART to your hotel around 8pm every night you should be ok.
Downtown Oakland is OK around 12th Street Bart, east of San Pablo/Clay generally -- as a single female I am fine over there and in Old Oakland. 19th Street BART is sketchier, meaning I wouldn't stroll around all alone, but in a group is A-OK.

Sketchy isn't really sketchy. Many blocks of Downtown are still 9 to 5 only so they are quiet after dark, but there are pockets of activity. I go pretty frequently.

In Downtown, there a few areas to check out. Lots of cute places in Old Oakland (near 9th and Washington) -- my favorite is Tamarindo excellent Mexican Tapas. In Old Oakland try the Trappist, Pacific Brewery, Liege, or Air Lounge.

There are other bars and such mixed in all around, like the Layover (on 15th and Franklin), Radio (13th and Franklin I think), Geisha (hit or miss, also on 15th or so), Era Art Bar (Grand and Broadway apx.), Plum (Grand and Broadway, gourmet food, fancy drinks, nice atmosphere), Somar (19th and Telegraph), 2022 (20th and Telegraph), MUA (25th and Webster) or Disco Voltane (17th I believe).

You'll have fun in downtown Oakland nightspots, people are friendly and the crowds are really diverse.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:28 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Check out Millbrae near the airport. There are plenty of motels (such as a Days Inn) along El Camino Real (Hwy 82) that are within walking distance to the BART/Caltrain station. Much cheaper than staying in SF.

Here's a list of hotels near SFO airport:
San Francisco Airport SFO Hotels

Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM

Awesome. What I'll then probably do is stay in downtown Oakland since we can go to Berkeley day 1 then the A's game then hang around downtown Oakland near the hotel. The next day we can take BART into SF and head back to Oakland to bar.

Seems like that is easier than Millbrae.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland