Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:41 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times

Advertisements

I was looking at San Francisco on Google Maps and noticed that everywhere I could see that property was divided by fences. Is this everywhere in San Francisco? If it is, why is it like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:14 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Don't people in other cities have fences? I can't imagine Chicagoans or New Yorkers not having fences between properties?

Also, at least in California, pretty much all urban and suburban properties are divided by fences. In much of the south, the lots just flow into each other fenceless, but that's never the case in California.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I just noticed this post on my way to the Ventura County sub forum. I am always amazed that places claim not to have fences. Also noticed in one city back east that has fences they put in those ugly chain link type fences. I didn't know anyone would use chain link and that was for a new development.

We are planning on fencing in our front yard, river rock base and pillars and wrought iron sections. Along with a wrought iron gate to get the cars through.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:37 AM

506 posts, read 1,154,683 times
Huh. I didn't really notice any fences in the city. There aren't a lot of single houses to have a yard around. I suppose if I zoom way in and squint hard I can make out some fencing around the million-dollar postage stamp backyards in the Marina and Cow Hollow, but they aren't visible when walking there.

Everywhere else I walked had commercial buildings with little-to-no-land. Some courtyards, maybe. Where are you noticing fences?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Most properties in the City are divided by fences. You wouldn't see them from the front since you normally only see the front part of the houses, particularly in "the avenues". It generally defines your property line. I don't understand why this is even being discussed since it's typical for urban and even most suburban areas in California.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Google shows our typically Californian redwood (or more recent lesser wood) fences more strongly than the chain link types seen back East.

Anyone ever getting into fence walking / running as a kid?

Good for developing balance skills!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I have no idea what you mean or where in SF you are looking at. Probably 60-70% of housing in SF is apartment buildings that are mainly right up next to one another, and houses in SF are mostly right up next to one another too. There aren't that many fences and if there are any they are usually decorative, maybe a short concrete barrier.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:29 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I have no idea what you mean or where in SF you are looking at. Probably 60-70% of housing in SF is apartment buildings that are mainly right up next to one another, and houses in SF are mostly right up next to one another too. There aren't that many fences and if there are any they are usually decorative, maybe a short concrete barrier.
I imagine that they are seeing all the backyards surrounded by fences--I've never lived in a place with a backyard that wasn't fenced. One would obviously not see many houses with front fences since nobody has a front yard or much of a side yard.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
In point of fact, beyond the central neighborhoods, nearly every home or residential building has at least some sort of back yard (unless it's been turned into parking). Certainly all the row houses do. Most of them have the typical California style redwood fence lines. Granted some of the fences especially on rental properties have seen better days / have rotted away / keeled over.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Ok if you are talking about backyards, sure. Houses and apartments are very close together so people like to have their personal space demarcated. SF doesn't have alleys everywhere like Chicago does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland