Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,045 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to San Francisco soon and would like to live in the city, however my work requires me to commute (drive, unfortunately) throughout the Bay Area. I'm looking for neighborhoods located close to highways that can get me out of town with the least amount of traffic.
I'm 25, single and would cap my rent at $1500 for a room in a shared place.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 05:23 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
Somewhere near the highways. If you need to park on the street, then I would suggest Glen Park and Bernal Heights which are pretty close to 280 and 101 for traveling south or for going over the Bay Bridge. Noe Valley would work but parking can be tough. If you think it would be better to be close to 101 North and the Golden Gate Bridge, then the Richmond District would work. Might be good to pick a place between both areas like Lower Pacific Heights, Hayes Valley or the Western Addition, though parking is almost impossible in Hayes Valley because it's right by City Hall and the opera house.

Should be able to find some 1br's for around $1500 in decent parts of SF, definitely a studio below that. $1500 is a lot to pay to live with roommates, could live with roomies for more like $900 to 1200 or so and probably get a nice room in a nice apartment, or spend less than $900 and get a smaller room in a place that's probably a bit dumpier but still in a nice neighborhood.

Maybe pay like $1000-1200 to live with roomies and pay around $200 extra to rent an off-site space (not very many apartments in SF have parking included in the rent)...

Old 09-27-2011, 01:21 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
If you're going to the East Bay a lot, then live as close to the bridge as you can. Being close to the Harrison or Bryant onramps will save you a good bit of time. If you're going south a lot, try the Mission, Bernal Heights, Potrero Hill so you can access 280 easily.

No matter what you do, parking will be a challenge. But you hopefully already knew that. Set aside ~$300-400 of that $1500 to make sure you can get garage parking if you want to minimize the headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland