Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:05 PM

140 posts, read 676,761 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking at real estate online for Oakland. I think Oakland has a lot to offer, but I'd like to know which areas are safest when looking for real estate. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 PM

70 posts, read 131,043 times
Anywhere in the hills are the safest parts of Oakland, due to their remoteness.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoile_filante View Post
Anywhere in the hills are the safest parts of Oakland, due to their remoteness.
Remote-ness? Not true. Obviously you haven't spent a lot of time in Oakland. There are all types of neighborhoods in the "Hills."

OP: There are many types of neighborhoods. At the most basic level, places above 580 (give or take a block or 2) all over town are good from the Berkeley line to the San Leandro border. Some of these areas are "remote places in the forest" other areas feel a bit suburban and others are denser. Access to amenities can vary by neighborhood. Some have lots in close proximity, but around Joaquin Miller Park and Chabot Space Center there isn't a whole lot.

Generally, north of Lake Merritt is good, no matter what side of 580 you are on. (Crocker Highlands, Trestle Glen, Brooklyn, Cleveland Heights, Adams Point, and GrandLake/Lakeshore are all great places. In North Oakland, everything east of Telegraph is good (North meaning, essentially above the Lake).

And in downtown Oakland? East of 980 is OK. Generally downtown is pretty safe but some blocks are better than others. It isn't as dangerous as downtown SF. But there are areas where incidents are more frequent (muggings, property crime). Obviously, that is one of the most urban parts of the city, and I am not sure if that is what you are looking for.

After the broad generalizations, there are individual areas outside of the aforementioned borders that are decent to good. For example, San Antonio is really convenient and there are some really great blocks. There is also the Kennedy tract with a bunch of lofts and new condos not far from there as well. There are also plenty of great areas in east Oakland below 580.

But more importantly, what sort of neighborhood are you looking for? It makes a lot more sense defining a neighborhood personality before picking a location that is "safe."

Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's a little more of what I'm looking for: I am looking to be less car dependent, so I'm looking for an area with either good public transportation or walkability. I'd like good public transportation into San Francisco/Berkeley. I'm a liberal/progressive type which is what draws me to the area. I like artsy people although I am not one of them. I'm a Unitarian Universalist, and I understand there's an excellent Unitarian church in Oakland. I like dogs, and I am really into organic and healthy foods. I like farmer's markets a lot.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

Here's a little more of what I'm looking for: I am looking to be less car dependent, so I'm looking for an area with either good public transportation or walkability. I'd like good public transportation into San Francisco/Berkeley. I'm a liberal/progressive type which is what draws me to the area. I like artsy people although I am not one of them. I'm a Unitarian Universalist, and I understand there's an excellent Unitarian church in Oakland. I like dogs, and I am really into organic and healthy foods. I like farmer's markets a lot.
One of the artsier and more affordable areas in Oakland is Jingletown/Kennedy Tract, an area that puts you next to the Fruitvale BART, next to East Oakland's premiere latino district Fruitvale & International (think 24th & Mission albeit with few to no hipster cafes, clothing shops, etc. with the notable exception of Powderface Cafe) and literally across the bridge from one of the main strips of Alameda (Park Street). The 1 line bus takes you directly to Downtown Oakland and the 20/21/39 takes you to the Dimond District, an urban village of sorts that has plenty of restaurants, grocery stores and other amenities. Jingletown is very much an up-and-coming area but its definitely one of the best deals in town and has a lot of charm & character. It's definitely an urban neighborhood though... you'd have to exercise some degree of street smarts and common sense to be fine. I'd recommend looking in the South Kennedy Tract over the North Kennedy Tract due to some housing projects on the North side. Here's some pictures of both sides of Jingletown I took:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/606/img5573i.jpg (broken link)

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6264/img5564v.jpg (broken link)

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6808/img0474h.jpg (broken link)

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6299/img5090f.jpg (broken link)

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/871/img0481qs.jpg (broken link)

Here's the official Jingletown website:

http://jingletown.org/

Old 10-02-2011, 10:17 PM

Consider this a footnote to the above post.

Fruitvale & International is a very vibrant, urban and lively strip that has a lot to offer in terms of excellent latino cuisine and other stuff. However, I would not be in this area at night. There is a very large Norteno presence in the area similar to the Mission and International attracts lots of gang activity, prostitution, etc. at night similarly to Mission Street. In the daytime, none of the above is an issue, but it certainly is an issue at night. If you're looking for nightlife then I'd highly recommend checking out Alameda, specifically Park St (aka E. 29th in Oakland). There's a lot going on over there and its very safe. You can also always catch the BART to downtown Oakland or the City (SF).

Here's some pics of Fruitvale I took:

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/8264/img0777b.jpg (broken link)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/385/img0782n.jpg (broken link)

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/587/img0785xj.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 10-02-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 10:36 PM

117 posts, read 175,781 times
am i the only one in here who loves oakland's streets signs?

::

Old 10-02-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago de pampanga View Post
am i the only one in here who loves oakland's streets signs?

::
Nope, not by a long shot.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

What's your budget? Condo or townhome or house? Do you need a yard? Neighborhood type? Denser? Less dense? More single family homes? More multi-unit buildings?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:20 AM

Thanks for all the awesome info and pics, Nineties Flava!!!

jade, I can pay up to $400,000. although I'd rather pay less in order to keep property taxes down. Ideally, I'd like a single family house, but I can do with a condo or a townhouse. I plan on getting a dog, so I need at least a small yard. I'd prefer to be in an area with more single family homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland