Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:03 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Hm, the official data, and my experience, does not support that. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide shows that all but one SoCal reporting station averages water temps below 70 degrees all year, except for Newport Beach right at 70 for one month. I've read that the warmest water temp EVER recorded in SD was 76F, and I've only seen it up to 74F once for a few days, and sometimes in the low 70s, but once you leave SD and head into OC, it's usually below 70. I would, however, be interested in any statistics about water temps having ever broken 80F anywhere in California. That would be more than 10F above the average, and water temps don't vary that much.
Those are the average water temps per month. The ocean goes thru periods when warm or cold currents occur. For example, the Davidson current comes up from Mexico each summer and it is common to go weeks with ocean temps above 70F. And San Diego averages 70F+ from mid July to mid Sept: Pacific Ocean Temperatures on California Coast

"The Pacific coastal waters off southern California during July 2006 have warmed into the mid-and-upper 70s from Point Conception south to the Mexican border and out at least 40 miles. On July 29 the water temperature at San Clemente Pier, in Orange County, was 78 degrees -- or the same water temperature at Waimea Bay, Hawaii. The reason was not a result of El Nino or La Nina, but from localized weather patterns begun in early June".
http://www.thinkandask.com/2006/072906-6calif.html

"July brought the highest ocean temperatures ever recorded, some North County lifeguards said Tuesday. At 2:20 p.m. Friday, Del Mar lifeguards recorded a Hawaii-like ocean temperature of 81.1 degrees".
Unusually warm ocean temperatures returning to normal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:28 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Hm, the official data, and my experience, does not support that. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide shows that all but one SoCal reporting station averages water temps below 70 degrees all year, except for Newport Beach right at 70 for one month. I've read that the warmest water temp EVER recorded in SD was 76F, and I've only seen it up to 74F once for a few days, and sometimes in the low 70s, but once you leave SD and head into OC, it's usually below 70. I would, however, be interested in any statistics about water temps having ever broken 80F anywhere in California. That would be more than 10F above the average, and water temps don't vary that much.
Your link is an average temp of day and NIGHT temperature. The sun has a little bit of a warming effect, maybe a degree or two. So it is pretty normal to see many SoCal beaches get to the mid-70s every summer. Definitely a lot warmer than the warmest NorCal and central Coast beaches which hover around high 50's and very low 60s.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:39 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Your link is an average temp of day and NIGHT temperature. The sun has a little bit of a warming effect, maybe a degree or two. So it is pretty normal to see many SoCal beaches get to the mid-70s every summer. Definitely a lot warmer than the warmest NorCal and central Coast beaches which hover around high 50's and very low 60s.
The best time to go in for a swim is sunset w/ the water at its warmest. We used to go to Will Rodgers state beach after my mom got off work. With the hibachi for bbq & no crowds. The most fun is to go in when it is dark [skinny-dipping and feel the warmth of the ocean. But overall SoCal is cold for swimming most of the year.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:38 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Wrong.

Dillon Beach is huge and wide and gorgeous! Granted wetsuits are de rigeur here, but I've had my little family in the water sans wetsuits at Dillon and Heart's Desire.....
Heart's desire being the shockingly warmer of the two....

LoL quit being silly. The water in Northern california comes from Alaska not mexico. The stuff is freezing.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:03 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Wow, cool, thanks for that link. I can't believe I missed my one chance to get into the ocean without freezing my buns off! It'll happen again some day I'm sure. Ah, summer seems so far off today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Those are the average water temps per month. The ocean goes thru periods when warm or cold currents occur. For example, the Davidson current comes up from Mexico each summer and it is common to go weeks with ocean temps above 70F. And San Diego averages 70F+ from mid July to mid Sept: Pacific Ocean Temperatures on California Coast

"The Pacific coastal waters off southern California during July 2006 have warmed into the mid-and-upper 70s from Point Conception south to the Mexican border and out at least 40 miles. On July 29 the water temperature at San Clemente Pier, in Orange County, was 78 degrees -- or the same water temperature at Waimea Bay, Hawaii. The reason was not a result of El Nino or La Nina, but from localized weather patterns begun in early June".
http://www.thinkandask.com/2006/072906-6calif.html

"July brought the highest ocean temperatures ever recorded, some North County lifeguards said Tuesday. At 2:20 p.m. Friday, Del Mar lifeguards recorded a Hawaii-like ocean temperature of 81.1 degrees".
Unusually warm ocean temperatures returning to normal

Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
LoL quit being silly. The water in Northern california comes from Alaska not mexico. The stuff is freezing.
Not kidding. I swear! Hell, I know it's not the Gulf of Mexico, but my kids and I have been in the water quite a bit the past couple of years. Not up to our necks swimming for hours, but the frolicking chasing running around in the first couple of feet of water though. When it 100+ degrees in Southern Sonoma County, the 20 minute drive to Dillon Beach is totally worth the cool down! The chillier water makes it even better!

Heart's Desire beach is the ONLY place where i've seen kids in just bathing suits up to their bellies in the water. (on Tomales Bay) not full on Pac Ocean.
I was shocked. So then I got in, this was in July of last year. It was warmer than Venice Beach in December, that's for sure!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Bottom line on this for most people:
Water temps ANYWHERE in California are likley to be too cold to comfortably swim without a wetsuit any time of the year. Needing a wetsuit to swim in the cold waters of Northern or central California isn't a heck of a lot different than needing a wetsuit to swim in the cold waters of SoCal. Even in August when many people swim without a wetsuit in SoCal, I'm too cold to do it. If warm ocean water to swim in is a must for you, don't move to anywhere in California.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Bottom line on this for most people:
Water temps ANYWHERE in California are likley to be too cold to comfortably swim without a wetsuit any time of the year. Needing a wetsuit to swim in the cold waters of Northern or central California isn't a heck of a lot different than needing a wetsuit to swim in the cold waters of SoCal. Even in August when many people swim without a wetsuit in SoCal, I'm too cold to do it. If warm ocean water to swim in is a must for you, don't move to anywhere in California.
Amen! If you want warm ocean water look into universities in the Caribbean or on the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Bottom line on this for most people...
Well shoot, as long as you are bottom lining it for us I guess that settles it.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM

14 posts, read 27,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Not kidding. I swear! Hell, I know it's not the Gulf of Mexico, but my kids and I have been in the water quite a bit the past couple of years. Not up to our necks swimming for hours, but the frolicking chasing running around in the first couple of feet of water though. When it 100+ degrees in Southern Sonoma County, the 20 minute drive to Dillon Beach is totally worth the cool down! The chillier water makes it even better!

Heart's Desire beach is the ONLY place where i've seen kids in just bathing suits up to their bellies in the water. (on Tomales Bay) not full on Pac Ocean.
I was shocked. So then I got in, this was in July of last year. It was warmer than Venice Beach in December, that's for sure!
I agree, Hearts Desire beach IS quite warm.

I also agree with the frustration in this thread. I love the bay area, but the ocean temperatures just suck. I hate having to go to Marin county or Santa Cruz just to find decent beaches (As far as I know), and even then the waters are cold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland