Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken22 View Post
Not necessarily. Plenty of poor Asians have migrated to SF over the past 30 years.

mod cut.
The reasons for coming are different. It wasn't for jobs that were eliminated that's for sure.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-25-2013 at 02:30 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 09:56 PM

157 posts, read 306,260 times
One way to measure an area is by its schools, as someone pointed out. Look at this map

California School Performance Maps

knowing certain areas, I find this map tends to jive with the overall quality of the area. The better the school, the better the neighborhood. So going off this map, avoid west Oakland, south of Emeryville, and stick to east Oakland.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,896 times
Racist? LOL. I'm a third generation San Fran/ Bay Area resident (I know what "hella" means and the word "Frisco" doesn't offend me). Drop the denial and race card excuse crap. Oakland is not a safe area (neither is S.F. especially the Tenderloin and Bay View/HP). I've worked in Oakland for a total of 12 years. So I know what I'm talking about. I'm tired of the bs crap. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...

Last edited by GatherYeAcorns; 11-27-2013 at 05:27 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 11:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatherYeAcorns View Post
Racist? LOL. I'm a third generation San Fran/ Bay Area resident (I know what "hella" means and the word "Frisco" doesn't offend me). Drop the denial and race card excuse crap. Oakland is not a safe area (neither is S.F. especially the Tenderloin and Bay View/HP). I've worked in Oakland for a total of 12 years. So I know what I'm talking about. I'm tired of the bs crap. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...
And yet 400,000+ people call Oakland home

As to the question is Oakland safe...

I would never state yes or no.

What is safe for me might be someone else's worst nightmare.

I managed a home high in the Oakland hills a few years ago... beautiful home with great SF skyline view.

The family I was showing the home really liked it and wanted to come back after dark to check out the city lights view.

As they were leaving... a flock of wild turkeys came walking down the road... maybe 7 or 8.

The mother saw the turkeys and quickly told her kids to get in the car... from a rolled down window she informed me they would not be coming back because the neighborhood was not safe because of the wild turkeys having free range

Old 11-28-2013, 12:50 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
If you make $500k, crime statistics don't matter because you can always find a safe area in any city, whether it is Oakland, Detroit, New Orleans or even Mexico City.

If you make $50k, crime statistics matter somewhat because you may live in areas or near areas that some of the crime statistics come from.

If you make $15k, crime statistics are very important because you will live in an area where the crime statistics come from.

Oakland for example: Oakland has a much higher crime rate than the national average. If you make $500k, you can live in a very safe area and not worry about crime (at least when you are at home). If you make $50k, you need to do some crime research on the areas you are looking around. If you make $15k, you should be concerned about moving there.

This is just my two cents.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:59 AM

339 posts, read 516,097 times
Quote:
My favorite. Pompous "natives". Isn't that another word for "untraveled"? Would you consider West Africa safe? Eastern Europe? I've lived in both and came out unscathed. Amazing, huh?

Old 11-29-2013, 11:47 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Pleasanton awaits.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:52 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
I think anyone looking to move to an area, or work in said area would be right to ask about how safe it is. Safety is more than just personal safety, granted that should take priority, you shouldn't undervalue your health and safety, but property crime questions are important to people too, especially if they are going to contemplate taking a car to work, or parking on the street. Even safer areas have crime, my partner had his car window smashed because he left his iPhone in the car, across the street from Santana Row. But you clearly wouldn't want that happening every few months, the $300 and broken glass would get annoying fast.

And seriously don't accuse people of racism, just for asking such questions, it makes you sound like a troll, trying to stir up trouble.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I think anyone looking to move to an area, or work in said area would be right to ask about how safe it is. Safety is more than just personal safety, granted that should take priority, you shouldn't undervalue your health and safety, but property crime questions are important to people too, especially if they are going to contemplate taking a car to work, or parking on the street. Even safer areas have crime, my partner had his car window smashed because he left his iPhone in the car, across the street from Santana Row. But you clearly wouldn't want that happening every few months, the $300 and broken glass would get annoying fast.

And seriously don't accuse people of racism, just for asking such questions, it makes you sound like a troll, trying to stir up trouble.
The difference is, even though car breakins occasionally happen in a nice area like Santana Row, no one says Santana Row is terribly unsafe or that incident characterizes all of San Jose.

When it comes to Oakland some people almost accuse you of lying if you say you have never been a crime victim and refuse to concede crime levels vary significantly across Oakland.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:59 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The difference is, even though car breakins occasionally happen in a nice area like Santana Row, no one says Santana Row is terribly unsafe or that incident characterizes all of San Jose.

When it comes to Oakland some people almost accuse you of lying if you say you have never been a crime victim and refuse to concede crime levels vary significantly across Oakland.

My experience exactly and I could not have said it better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland