Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:53 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,857,909 times

Advertisements

There's an entire county.
What's the attachment to S.C. proper and why do people feel that they need to be relegated to it?
It makes no sense.
The problems that plague some areas of Santa Cruz and that turn people off are not an issue in the rest of the county with just a few exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 PM

20 posts, read 100,758 times
Default Explanation

Hello JaiJai;
In response to your post about taking the entire county into consideration, and not focusing on just one negative area: I do understand what you are saying; however, if one lives in Santa Cruz proper, or the S.C. Mountains (Scotts Valley, Ben Lomond, etc) downtown Santa Cruz is where most things exist....i.e. the larger cinemas, the art cinema, the restaurants, book stores, shops, etc.
So unless you live in south county, downtown Santa Cruz really is your "go to" place for a lot of the above services. That being the case (we lived in Ben Lomond) we simply got tired of the insanity that was downtown. Every time we wanted to go to a restaurant, movie, book store etc. we'd get hit up for "spare change" within 2 minutes. Not once in a while, but every single time, several times a trip. Frequently, the people were too lazy to stand up, so they would lay on the sidewalk and beg. This is not to mention the filthy streets, the smell of urine in doorways, people looking like they were in the "Night of the Living Dead" movie, etc.
My last straw was when the Borders bookstore was repeatedly vandalized because it was a chain. Acid (not LSD) was thrown at the front doors, and the bathrooms were vandalized so often patrons were no longer allowed to use them. So...if you were shopping there and needed a restroom you had to go wandering down the street to try and find one. Charming. I did find the public one. Someone shooting up in the stall next to me. Double charming.
I'm sure all the above wouldn't bother everyone as much as it did me. And that's as it should be. To each his own.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,863,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawagirl View Post
Every time we wanted to go to a restaurant, movie, book store etc. we'd get hit up for "spare change" within 2 minutes. Not once in a while, but every single time, several times a trip.
A favorite stop on the perennial trustafarian circuit, which also includes Seattle, Portland, and SF (the Haight). Faces demanding handouts become familiar if one frequents these places. Often they will take their earnings, jump into the Honda around the corner, and proceed to the next stop on the tour to begin anew.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM

Default Agree

To bigdumbgod. I totally agree. I now live close to Portland (left Santa Cruz
3 years ago). Portland has better restaurants and worse weather, and similar
"beggar" problems. It seemed worse in Santa Cruz because S.C. is smaller, so the problem was more concentrated....I basically lived in S.C. for my husband's job, and near Portland now cause his family is here. If I had my drothers, I would be in Franklin, TN as long as I had a basement with a cement room
Darn twisters are gettin' worse...

Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawagirl View Post
To bigdumbgod. I totally agree. I now live close to Portland (left Santa Cruz
3 years ago). Portland has better restaurants and worse weather, and similar
"beggar" problems. It seemed worse in Santa Cruz because S.C. is smaller, so the problem was more concentrated....I basically lived in S.C. for my husband's job, and near Portland now cause his family is here. If I had my drothers, I would be in Franklin, TN as long as I had a basement with a cement room
Darn twisters are gettin' worse...
Earthquakes here, twisters there...**** to deal with everywhere!

Just hope we get some substantial rain, or the fire season's gonna be a nasty one.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:23 PM

37 posts, read 121,515 times
Ah.... Santa Cruz, lived there 12 years...couldn't wait to leave...nicknamed it "funky town"...poorly run by self-centered....poorly laid out..growth was never planned (or wanted) which led to
inadequate housing (and expensive at that). Few homes have "curb appeal" because there are so many rentals. Weather, great...really? Cold and damp...overcast most of the summer and worse areas south of the city of Santa Cruz...oh, and the downtown, you'll want to avoid it..."Was
a great place before the Loma Prieta quake." Pros: air quality; but there is afternoon wind.
IMO Santa Rosa is the place for better weather...it's amazing...housing is more affordable, people are very friendly. It's a very pleasant 25 minute drive to Bodega Bay, some of most beautiful coastline in
California.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby10 View Post
to
inadequate housing (and expensive at that). Few homes have "curb appeal" because there are so many rentals.
It's a college town. Compares pretty favorably to Isla Vista down the coast, if we want to compare college towns.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 AM

37 posts, read 121,515 times
Love the post by bigdumbgod.......so true....'couldn't wait to get over my "sentence" of 12 years in Santa Cruz.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:10 PM

Default Former resident

I agree with both of you. I did my 25 year sentence in Santa Cruz county. Best thing about it for me was the Super Taqueria in Watsonville. Honestly.
Also, Speaking of Santa Rosa, I lived there for 18 years, just before Santa Cruz. I did love it. Amazing place. Better when I lived there (1966-1981) than now, but that could be said for a lot of places.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 PM

155 posts, read 275,021 times
Where are you moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland