Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,366 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

It has been my dream to move to San Francisco for about 6 years now, and I finally have a chance to work there in the nonprofit sector! My only hesitation is that the offices are located in BVHP, near Third Street and Evans Avenue. I have been doing research on the crime and pollution rates of the area, and while I don't plan on living there by any means, I wanted to get your opinion on accepting a job there. Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,147 times
I would not go there. That intersection is pretty active, in a bad way. That is almost the heart of all the shady stuff. It gets more seedy as night falls. If you have a car to get around then it's better. But if you have to depend on public transportation, I'd look elsewhere. It's pretty ghetto. No other way to say it.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
You'll be fine because it's on 3rd street. There is a lot of car traffic there. You can take MUNI Light Rail from the City. I wouldn't live there, but working is fine.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 PM

25 posts, read 32,763 times
Since you're not living in SF already, work there, but don't live there.
I don't want you hating the whole city just because of the neighborhood.

The neighborhood's not that bad in the day.... usually.

and as for pollution... the shipyards and PG&E power plant (torn down recently) make this part of the city the most polluted. Highest rates of cancer and allergies in the city are in the Bayview HP.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Working there is bad enough but to live in that area?

Forget it.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 AM

25 posts, read 32,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Working there is bad enough but to live in that area?

Forget it.
hey. i live there
I'd choose Bayview HP over Vis Valley / Tenderloin ANY DAY

working there isn't that bad if his/her job has a secured, private parking lot. (the city buildings do this in HP.)
and work ends before 7pm.
just avoid public transportation if you have to carry a briefcase/laptop bag.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:15 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveIt View Post
hey. i live there
Well, that's certainly not saying much.

Quote:
...just avoid public transportation if you have to carry a briefcase/laptop bag.
Better yet stay out of that area of town.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
That's an industrial/commercial area that isn't close to any neighborhoods. Don't even worry about it.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,147 times
Quote:
hey. i live there

working there isn't that bad if his/her job has a secured, private parking lot. (the city buildings do this in HP.)
and work ends before 7pm.
just avoid public transportation if you have to carry a briefcase/laptop bag.
Vis valley short of the projects is much better than the bay view any day. The tl is a different nasty animal though. I am sorry but your district is ghetto. You living there by choice?

Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
The OP isn't talking about living in Bayview. He/She wants to know whether it's safe to work there, which its fine. My girl friend's family lives in Bayview and they haven't had a single incident happen in over 10 years. It's not Somali lol. It's no different than people saying, you shouldn't even stop in Oakland because it's too dangerous. It's quite silly and makes me think half the people on this forum are from Small Town, North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland