Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
LOL it has never went below freezing in January in San Francisco. Sounds like terrible weather.
Please, don't move to SF... the weather is terrible. If you're living there, face the facts and move. Sell your homes. I'd be happy to take your place
A lot of weather stations are near water..... and MUCH colder...

I live in Oakland and when I hear the temp I add 5 degrees... cause it's warmer here away from the water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:51 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
It's never been that cold when I've been here - but I don't see any reason why weather.com would have false weather statistics.
No I assume they're right. I just think it's funny when people talk about how "cold" SF is, especially the winter. Including one post in this thread that it's normal to have an occasional winter night below freezing... which goes contrary to statistics.

Looks like the hottest time of year is late September, and the coldest day by far was in April. SF's weather sure is unique!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 AM

374 posts, read 1,852,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
No I assume they're right. I just think it's funny when people talk about how "cold" SF is, especially the winter. Including one post in this thread that it's normal to have an occasional winter night below freezing... which goes contrary to statistics.

Looks like the hottest time of year is late September, and the coldest day by far was in April. SF's weather sure is unique!
You don't know the 1/2 of it. There are also micro-climates all over the city. I live on the cusp of the Castro and the Mission - where it's pretty warm and sunny. I can be out on my deck and it will be blazing hot, then if I walk to the Haight - not a very far walk, it can be foggy and cold.

It's amazing how you adjust to the weather. Now 50 degrees is cold to me and 80 is blazing hot! In Minneapolis 50 was warm and 90 was tolerable. When it gets to 90 here, I am hot happy Luckily, 90 degree days are rare.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
You don't know the 1/2 of it. There are also micro-climates all over the city. I live on the cusp of the Castro and the Mission - where it's pretty warm and sunny. I can be out on my deck and it will be blazing hot, then if I walk to the Haight - not a very far walk, it can be foggy and cold.
Yup! I live in the "sunny" (relatively speaking) but windy southeast, where it's often 5-10 degrees warmer than western SF... then I'll take my dog to McLaren park, a mere 1-2 miles away, and it'll be COLD and foggy. Always carry a jacket in this city, right?

Quote:
It's amazing how you adjust to the weather. Now 50 degrees is cold to me and 80 is blazing hot! In Minneapolis 50 was warm and 90 was tolerable. When it gets to 90 here, I am hot happy Luckily, 90 degree days are rare.
Amen to that. And I totally agree about how you adjust, since it's happened to me in just 6 months. Last night I was telling my mother a story (about losing my car downtown), and caught myself saying this - "And it really sucked because it was SOOOOO warm, like 75 degrees!" When I lived in Stockton, we didn't call it warm until the temps broke 100... LOL.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,481 times
Quote:
Yes I was surprised, just like a mile apart the temp might vary 10 degrees. I don't know of other sites but weather underground has a cool map of personal weather stations, linked with google earth: Personal Weather Stations Google Map : Weather Underground

Quote:
I agree I think people underrate that element. I always felt 80 was scorching in cold northern MI. But in this Iowa summer, 90 doesn't phase me much. 70F feels cold! All my life I considered 70F to be edging towards "too hot". In those odd "warm" early spring days, just 50s was shorts/tshirt weather. Physiologically the body adjusts... thats why heat related deaths happen during heat waves where the temperature suddenly rises, rather than where it had been hot for months.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:12 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times
SF weather is a matter of perspective. If you come from the desert southwest then it is kind of cool. If you come from just about anywhere else it is mild year around. It snows in SF about every 20 years. Compared to most of the country it is never humid. Nor is it particularly wet or hot. Some areas near the coast can stay foggy for extended periods. Generally you have nighttime lows in the winter of around 45-50 and daytime highs in the summer of around 75-80. In the greater Bay Area you see more extremes of both cold and heat, but compared to most of the world this is one very mild area weather-wise. That’s a big reason why so many people want to live here . . .

Old 09-22-2007, 12:11 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
I think I like San Francisco over L.A. because of the weather. It was too hot in L.A. and the rest of SoCal. I wanted to go to San Francisco because I thought it would be cooler (and less sunny-no wonder it's hot and the sun is too bright and I got a headache). How cool was it around July 1 in San Francisco? I wish my aunt brought us there instead of La Jolla and Palm Springs (hotter than Las Vegas). Maybe next year!!!

Old 09-22-2007, 08:10 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I think I like San Francisco over L.A. because of the weather. It was too hot in L.A. and the rest of SoCal. I wanted to go to San Francisco because I thought it would be cooler (and less sunny-no wonder it's hot and the sun is too bright and I got a headache). How cool was it around July 1 in San Francisco? I wish my aunt brought us there instead of La Jolla and Palm Springs (hotter than Las Vegas). Maybe next year!!!
Don't remember specifically the 1st but the 4th was hot. Got up to 80° in SF and peaked at around 111° in Concord. At 10 something at night it was still 85° in Concord. After we got through the Caldecott it was down to 57° and was 53° when we finally got home to Daly City. Personally, I consider 80° unbearably hot but compared to 111° it's wonderful weather.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:26 AM

100 posts, read 564,032 times
You can use a sweater probably every month of the year in San Francisco, its not exactly a warm place, its always colder than other cities in the Bay Area, I guess its all relative, I prefer SoCal weather so I think 50 degrees is cold.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:53 PM

16 posts, read 66,104 times
I believe even though the "average/mean" summer high is around 70, that if wind shifts a certain way from the east it can get freakishly hot and 95 plus is possible here and there.

Am I correct/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland