Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:49 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
How do we fix what? People seem to forget Blacks represent around 14% of the total population in the US, yet there seems to be this idea that 50% of our universities, cities, police force etc need to be Black. It doesn't make sense to me. People need to relax instead of sticking their noses in everyone's business because it just creates a system that is overly complicated and ends up doing more harm than good.

According to the US Census, 6% of the SF population are Black compared to 6.6% of the California population.
Lest we forget, Hollywood and Madison Ave show that Blacks are alive and well, and living in TV commercials, movies and all forms of media. All must be well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 04:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
So was the question answered: Is (sic) there any blacks left in San Francisco?
I know run from the problem instead of trying to fix the problem. It is embarrassing. Why face the problem when there is no benefit for your group?

And here again there is no problem so is there anything to fix:
"How do we fix what? People seem to forget Blacks represent around 14% of the total population in the US, yet there seems to be this idea that 50% of our universities, cities, police force etc need to be Black. It doesn't make sense to me. People need to relax instead of sticking their noses in everyone's business because it just creates a system that is overly complicated and ends up doing more harm than good.

According to the US Census, 6% of the SF population are Black compared to 6.6% of the California population."
The way whites might think is very interesting: "If we could just genocide blacks then the problem would be solve; no black, therefore, no problem. However, since that can't happen, us whites will just push them out (displace them) and hope that solves the black problem.

Maybe blacks can be pushed out to Oakland. San Francisco can become all white--Oakland all black.

Separate but equal.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:43 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Do you even read what you write? How can you be so judgmental and racist and not see it? You make a blanket statement that WHITES want to get rid of Blacks and then you call random people on city-data racist... just look in the mirror. Nobody is pushing anyone out, that is not how society works. If you get an education and work hard you can live wherever you want. If Blacks had graduation rates well above Whites or Asians, yet they were still not getting jobs, then I see a big problem. However, that isn't the case. Instead of teaching your kids how to be a victim and feel sorry for yourself, teach them to utilize all the programs on getting a free college education, teach them the important of school and working a job etc. I have some very successful Black friends that are more successful than me, they worked hard for it, they deserve it! They didn't win the lotto.

Hypocrite straight up!

Old 12-21-2014, 08:12 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Also obvious s/he knows nothing about the Bay Area, as black people have been steadily moving out of Oakland for years, for both economic and safety reasons.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:02 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Do you realize that AA with undergrad and graduates degrees have a higher rate of unemployment that Whites and Asians with the same credentials??

Just curious if you were aware of all the facts, based on the tone of your rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Do you even read what you write? How can you be so judgmental and racist and not see it? You make a blanket statement that WHITES want to get rid of Blacks and then you call random people on city-data racist... just look in the mirror. Nobody is pushing anyone out, that is not how society works. If you get an education and work hard you can live wherever you want. If Blacks had graduation rates well above Whites or Asians, yet they were still not getting jobs, then I see a big problem. However, that isn't the case. Instead of teaching your kids how to be a victim and feel sorry for yourself, teach them to utilize all the programs on getting a free college education, teach them the important of school and working a job etc. I have some very successful Black friends that are more successful than me, they worked hard for it, they deserve it! They didn't win the lotto.

Hypocrite straight up!

Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Do you realize that AA with undergrad and graduates degrees have a higher rate of unemployment that Whites and Asians with the same credentials??

Just curious if you were aware of all the facts, based on the tone of your rant.
I was about to mention the same thing. This impacts black engineers, black MBAs and black people with "STEM" degrees just in case someone was going to say all black peke have degrees in basket weaving.

We also get less funding and loans for small businesses. Crappier loans and mortgages for housing. There was a recent study that shows we even get shown crappoet and fewer homes / apartments when working with real estate brokers.

When someone does manage to "beat the odds," you have to deal microagressions like people making assumptions you aren't good enough to be there without quotas or something. Or my other favorite, fake compliments about being articulate (or knowledgeable). And for those of you who are saying people are being nice. Let me ask you how often you hear someone in a business meeting call a peer articulate as a greeting or comment. I am not talking about the cute little 8 year old on bring your kid to work day.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

When someone does manage to "beat the odds," you have to deal microagressions like people making assumptions you aren't good enough to be there without quotas or something. Or my other favorite, fake compliments about being articulate (or knowledgeable). And for those of you who are saying people are being nice. Let me ask you how often you hear someone in a business meeting call a peer articulate as a greeting or comment. I am not talking about the cute little 8 year old on bring your kid to work day.
Like the ol' "You're pretty smart for a __________". (Followed by utter bewilderment by the complimenter that the target is not terribly amused by such praise. That, or a grimy smirk).

Old 12-27-2014, 10:19 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times
Quote:
I was about to mention the same thing. This impacts black engineers, black MBAs and black people with "STEM" degrees just in case someone was going to say all black peke have degrees in basket weaving.

We also get less funding and loans for small businesses. Crappier loans and mortgages for housing. There was a recent study that shows we even get shown crappoet and fewer homes / apartments when working with real estate brokers.

I was going to move to san fran as a mechanical engineer and master automotive technician but I'm not sure if I'm just going to be judge and discriminated against.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I was going to move to san fran as a mechanical engineer and master automotive technician but I'm not sure if I'm just going to be judge and discriminated against.
A few notes. Moving to the Bay Area for professional opportunities is often a good idea with a few caveats.

1. People paint it as a liberal utopia free of racism. This isn't true. Unless perhaps you are Asian, you will experience much less racism here than in most of the US. For other ethnic groups, the amount of racism is about the same, but it is not the same sort of overt racism you'd find in the Southeastern US on the whole.

2. As a professional black person, if your ideal life includes the "buppie" lifestyle of living in a black middle or upper middle class area, finding loads of black institutions full of people like you, and a cohesive and influential predominate "buppie" community, you will be disappointed. You'll also be disappointed if you want tons of the typical black institutions: there aren't many black churches but HBCU alumni groups are pretty strong and well-populated.

3. If you are looking for a place where interracial dating is common and well accepted, the Bay Area is likely you place.

4. If you are looking to create an ethnically diverse social circle of likeminded people, the Bay Area is likely your place, but San Francisco is not the right place to go as an upwardly mobile black person who wants to see (and meet) other similar black people. Other Bay Area communities are more suitable.

The Bay Area can be a great place to live, but don't think that it means it is free of people with racist attitudes. There is racism, but it doesn't look the same as racism in other places.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:45 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times
Quote:
A few notes. Moving to the Bay Area for professional opportunities is often a good idea with a few caveats.

1. People paint it as a liberal utopia free of racism. This isn't true. Unless perhaps you are Asian, you will experience much less racism here than in most of the US. For other ethnic groups, the amount of racism is about the same, but it is not the same sort of overt racism you'd find in the Southeastern US on the whole.

2. As a professional black person, if your ideal life includes the "buppie" lifestyle of living in a black middle or upper middle class area, finding loads of black institutions full of people like you, and a cohesive and influential predominate "buppie" community, you will be disappointed. You'll also be disappointed if you want tons of the typical black institutions: there aren't many black churches but HBCU alumni groups are pretty strong and well-populated.

3. If you are looking for a place where interracial dating is common and well accepted, the Bay Area is likely you place.

4. If you are looking to create an ethnically diverse social circle of likeminded people, the Bay Area is likely your place, but San Francisco is not the right place to go as an upwardly mobile black person who wants to see (and meet) other similar black people. Other Bay Area communities are more suitable.

The Bay Area can be a great place to live, but don't think that it means it is free of people with racist attitudes. There is racism, but it doesn't look the same as racism in other places.
I'm black.

I'm originally from the northeast and they have a lot of covert racism there. From my personal experience in Houston, I don't have a problem making friends with people of different backgrounds, most likely due to the fact that Houston is a young city. The average age in Houston is around 29. My generation are more accepting of people with different backgrounds which I'm pretty sure plays a huge factor.

Houston has some prejudiced people but I never experienced racism down here. I've been here for a year and a half.

It's funny how Texas is a conservative state but I never experienced racism in its tops cities Houston, Dallas, and Austin.

Ill give san fran a shot and approach it with a positive, socially open, cultural accepting mindset.

Worst case scenario things don't work out and I move back to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland